Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:03 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times

Advertisements

I recently got interested (again) in HAM radio and got my study book for the test.

Glad nomore code to do.

Hope to test in Jan., in Grants.

Happy trails,
and 73's

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 12:14 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Not since Boyscouts... would love to start again.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:43 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Thumbs up Amateur Radio Is Fun!

AA5L here...It's true, there is no longer a Morse code requirement. New Mexico has a great system of linked repeaters called the Zia Net; I talked all over NM from Red River using a handheld. If anyone needs any questions answered, I'll try to help. Here in Fort Worth, I'm busy with the SKYWARN Net (severe weather) in the spring! And I've confirmed contacts with 148 countries using indoor antennas. I am planning to install a rig in my car which will cover the world.

Oh, and by the way, Hunter World, it's properly "73", not "73's". The latter is like saying "Best wisheses". A lot of old hams do that who should know better! Good luck with your exam. I'm a VE (volunteer examiner) myself.

Joe - AA5L

Last edited by catman; 12-18-2008 at 01:53 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 03:45 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
AA5L here...It's true, there is no longer a Morse code requirement. New Mexico has a great system of linked repeaters called the Zia Net; I talked all over NM from Red River using a handheld. If anyone needs any questions answered, I'll try to help. Here in Fort Worth, I'm busy with the SKYWARN Net (severe weather) in the spring! And I've confirmed contacts with 148 countries using indoor antennas. I am planning to install a rig in my car which will cover the world.

Oh, and by the way, Hunter World, it's properly "73", not "73's". The latter is like saying "Best wisheses". A lot of old hams do that who should know better! Good luck with your exam. I'm a VE (volunteer examiner) myself.

Joe - AA5L
Yes, I guess I am dated myself, as my ole friends used to say 73's.

Ok just 73 and thanks.
I will be in touch after I get the ole license.

Not sure what kind of rig to start with. I am thinking a handheld as $$ are a issue now...but got to get on the air asap...

HW...aka Fence Lake Ranger..

Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,356 times
Default Old Hammer

I use to have a neighbor years ago that was into ham radios and although the government FCC doesnt allow too much power on his ham radio he would turn it up to Communicate all over the World. The result was me living about 75 yards away would hear him talking through my TV, Telephone, Guitar Amp and Radio and the TV would blacken out and turn off and i think he ruined one of my TVs when it comes to Ham Radios users im not too Happy with them. This old man although i complained and he would turn down his power for awhile and then turn it up again after a week or two this went on for years. Hes gone now but i hope i never get another Ham Radio Freak near my home. I know that they do lots of Good in times of Emergency and other not so good Reasons. At one time they were talking about building a big antennna in the East Mountain area im not sure what became of that. el pintada kid

Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 PM

That sounds more like a CBer running illegal power, not a ham. Amateur radio operators (and CBers, for that matter) are supposed to know how to deal with RFI (radio freqeuency interference) and TVI (television interference) and offer to work with neighbors if there is a problem. I think the upcoming switch to digital television will sharply reduce the TVI problem.

Hunter World: When I got my Technician license, I had fun with my handheld, but I couldn't wait to go on up the licensing ladder so I could get on the worldwide bands! I hope you do likewise. You can get a lot more radio for the same amount of money than you could when I became a ham in 1992. My first HT was $500! Now you can get a good dual-bander for around $200.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 PM

Default CBs and Hams

I know the Difference between Ham Radios and CBs and after putting up with this ham radio operater who talked all over the World with people for years and its not hard to know the difference. And yes they have regulations on how high they can turn the power on these ham radios but some people dont obey them. el pintada kid

Old 12-19-2008, 07:10 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
I know the Difference between Ham Radios and CBs and after putting up with this ham radio operater who talked all over the World with people for years and its not hard to know the difference. And yes they have regulations on how high they can turn the power on these ham radios but some people dont obey them. el pintada kid
PK,I am sorry, you had a problem with the neighbor but all ham operators are not like that. I have worked many disasters for the Salvation Army and we relied heavy on the ham operators that gave of their time and energy.
I know there is a ham operator club here in Alamogordo, and others around the state.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 AM

Default The Old Hammer

Well this old man had been a Hammer for years and years and was very persistant on turning on his power and reporting him to different agencies didnt help. So to this Day I Cringe when i hear about a Ham Radio nearby or even a tower. It was very irritating for the whole family especially the kids when they were recording a movie or a Song or trying to talk on the phone. el pintada kid

Old 12-19-2008, 10:53 PM

That really sounds more like a CBer...a lot of them talk all over the world too, often using illegal power, when the sunspot cycle is near its peak and the CB band is open (they call it "talking skip"). In any case, very few hams are like that. Back before I got cable, my TV was interfered with many times by CB operators but never by a ham. CBers can legally only use 5 watts, although many use much more. A ham can use 1500 watts legally, because they are supposed to know how to use it without causing problems. The "old hammer" could have been fined and had his radio equipment confiscated by the FCC if he refused to address the problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico