Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:54 AM

83 posts, read 185,644 times

Advertisements

Hello All: Well, we're looking at relocating for a second time. We're orginally from Central California, so heat doesn't bother us. We currently live in Northern Minnesota and we're tired of the COLD.

Ideally we're looking for a decent place to retire that has warm/hot summers and mild winters, someplace close to civilization, near a recreational lake, and close to a college for our son.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
I would look in the southern part of the state - Las Cruces, Alamogordo, etc.
There is boating at Elephant Butte, near Truth or Consequences.

Here are some links that might be helpful:

http://www.nmsu.edu/

Elephant Butte

Dream Towns

Old 12-30-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I would look in the southern part of the state - Las Cruces, Alamogordo, etc.
There is boating at Elephant Butte, near Truth or Consequences.

Here are some links that might be helpful:

http://www.nmsu.edu/

Elephant Butte

Dream Towns
Have you been to any other areas of the state? I'm sure you're biased to Souther NM since it looks like you're living there.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1975 View Post
Have you been to any other areas of the state? I'm sure you're biased to Southern NM since it looks like you're living there.
I have, and if cost or winter weather was not a consideration, I would be in Taos.
The entire state is wonderful and really does offer something for everybody.
I, however, didn't want to deal with snow and I don't mind 100 degree days in the summer. I also didn't want to be 'house-poor.'

Fortunately for me, I fell in love with Las Cruces. I think the Organ Mts. are the most beautiful mountains in the state

Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I have, and if cost or winter weather was not a consideration, I would be in Taos.
The entire state is wonderful and really does offer something for everybody.
I, however, didn't want to deal with snow and I don't mind 100 degree days in the summer. I also didn't want to be 'house-poor.'

Fortunately for me, I fell in love with Las Cruces. I think the Organ Mts. are the most beautiful mountains in the state
Elephant Butte is a couple hours from Las Cruces, is that the closest lake? Also, Elephant Butte is small. Man, the lake looks nice but I'm not sure about the location.

I also do not want anymore snow.......trust me, although snow is not my problem right now, -20 degrees is.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
James - You might consider Albuquerque:

~~warm/hot summers

~~mild winters

~~nice sized city with all the amenities but a small-town friendly feel

~~Cochiti Lake is not too far to the north (but you will find New Mexico lakes unlike the lakes of other states - they are nice but not awesome in my opinion ... this is a desert state)

~~home of the University of New Mexico

~~neat scenery - the Sandia Mountains dominate the view and are spectacular

~~close to the mountain areas of northern NM

Old 12-30-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
James - You might consider Albuquerque:

~~warm/hot summers

~~mild winters

~~nice sized city with all the amenities but a small-town friendly feel

~~Cochiti Lake is not too far to the north (but you will find New Mexico lakes unlike the lakes of other states - they are nice but not awesome in my opinion ... this is a desert state)

~~home of the University of New Mexico

~~neat scenery - the Sandia Mountains dominate the view and are spectacular

~~close to the mountain areas of northern NM
You know, I hear pros and cons about Burqe. I'm looking at it seriously. What lakes are CLOSE to it?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Elephant Butte is a couple hours from Las Cruces, is that the closest lake? Also, Elephant Butte is small. Man, the lake looks nice but I'm not sure about the location.

Yes, that is the closest, and it's actually only about an hour drive - straight up I-25 where the speed limit is 75 once you are outside city limits.
Of course, we don't have anything, lake-wise, to compare to what you must be used to in Minnesota It is the desert after all.

Quote:
I also do not want anymore snow.......trust me, although snow is not my problem right now, -20 degrees is.
-20 we don't get. It was 19 here in LC yesterday, early AM, but, it warmed up to the low 60s. Similar weather today.

I agree with Towanda, Albuquerque has much to offer as well, but, it is too much city for me (lots of traffic, etc.)

You just have to come visit and see what (where) feels right for you and your family.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is the closest, and it's actually only about an hour drive - straight up I-25 where the speed limit is 75 once you are outside city limits.
Of course, we don't have anything, lake-wise, to compare to what you must be used to in Minnesota It is the desert after all.

-20 we don't get. It was 19 here in LC yesterday, early AM, but, it warmed up to the low 60s. Similar weather today.

I agree with Towanda, Albuquerque has much to offer as well, but, it is too much city for me (lots of traffic, etc.)

You just have to come visit and see what (where) feels right for you and your family.
Thanks for all of your help and replies.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:30 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,192 times
Default My Advice on N.M.

My Advice to people is that New Mexico is such a Big State that just coming here and buying a home and land just anywhere before checking the whole State is a Mistake. Sure its Desert and the Southern Half is HOT in the SUMMER but nice in the WINTER almost snow free but i would rent or rent to own for about a month or two and explore from the center of N.M. in the East Mountain area where your close to Albuquerque and Santa Fe and Northern N.M. and the whole state because each place will seem better then the Last. And as for the Weather sure the center of N.M. gets cold at times and lots of snow and wind but in between are the nice Indian Summers that come along with warm days so its not like your in Alaska although it might feel like it at times since Most of N.M. is very High Desert and Mountains and Mesas and over half of N.M. is forests and mountains and high elevation but i feel we have the Best Fresh air in the World and i would like to see it populate with good people and not big industries that pollute the water and air. I like southern N.M. but summers are unbearable and its so far from my favorite places like Albuquerque and Santa Fe. and i dont like the air out there but the people are very Friendly. As for Lakes in N.M. they are everywhere and a few Rivers also. The City of Natural Lakes is in New Mexico. Santa Rosa New Mexico el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico