Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 PM

261 posts, read 935,960 times

Advertisements

Farmington has instituted their MANDATORY curbside recycling program. Citizens are charged $4.00 or so each month whether they recycle or not. My wifey is really in to it. She dutifully rinses our trash before putting it in the proper container to be hauled away to who-really-knows-where. I tease her about living in the desert with a shortage of water and washing our trash to make ourselves feel better. We're idiots for complying with this farce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
I'm proud of your wife.
She's doing something for the good of the earth and if recycling is being offered to be done, I say go for it.
Wish they had something like that here.
I wouldn't wash the trash but rinsing out bottles and cans would be all that's necessary.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,628 times
It's mandatory to recycle where I live now or they fine you $$. Love recycling..don't like coercion, so I'm pretty pleased the way Farmington is handling it.
I just rinse things out to make sure they don't smell in my recycling bin, or if I have room in the dishwasher I throw the empty jars or cans in.
Are they collecting cardboard too, sjbasin?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,496 times
If you were in Albuquerque they would just bury it in the landfill and call it green.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 PM

215 posts, read 652,158 times
Sure wish they recycled up here in Raton. At least they could do plastic and cans, that would even help. I imagine it will be several years before they think about it up here. When I lived in Seattle, they gave you a rebate every quarter for the amount you recyled, it was a good incentive even if it didn't make you rich. Made you feel like you were contributing in a positive way.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:28 AM

261 posts, read 935,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
It's mandatory to recycle where I live now or they fine you $$. Love recycling..don't like coercion, so I'm pretty pleased the way Farmington is handling it.
I just rinse things out to make sure they don't smell in my recycling bin, or if I have room in the dishwasher I throw the empty jars or cans in.
Are they collecting cardboard too, sjbasin?

They do recycle cardboard here. New Mexico has a paper mill in Prewitt, which is between Gallup and Albuquerque, that processes it.

I'm still not convinced that the resources such as the additional plastic required for the full-sized containers, the trucks, and the fuel to haul this stuff 400 miles is carbon-neutral. When I asked the city to demonstrate to the public that the net effect of curbside recycling in a remote area like Farmington was truly "green" they couldn't do it.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:13 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,806 times
Default Paying to recycle my foot! that's ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
Farmington has instituted their MANDATORY curbside recycling program. Citizens are charged $4.00 or so each month whether they recycle or not. My wifey is really in to it. She dutifully rinses our trash before putting it in the proper container to be hauled away to who-really-knows-where. I tease her about living in the desert with a shortage of water and washing our trash to make ourselves feel better. We're idiots for complying with this farce.
You have got to be kidding?
washing out bottles? YOU paying to recycle? that is ridiculous.
Let me tell you why: before moving here to lovely new mexico, we were residents of a village called Pleasant Prairie, wisconsin. we had a voluntary recycling program. you could participate if you wanted to. and guess what? they supplied the green baskets, and paid us to recycle. it wasn't much, $0.72 per month on average. and we were happy to, not have paid for recycling, and we didn't have to wash our darned bottles either. they took it all, all you had to do was throw it in the cycle basket. comingled newspapers, dog food/people food tin cans, pop cans, plastic bottles, anything that was cycleable, the driver at the curb separated the comingled reuseables!
Now, our neighboring city, Kenosha, wisconsin, it was mandatory to recycle, and, if the pickup drivers spotted recycleables comingled into regular rubbish or waste, your bag was RED TAGGED and left at the curb, for you to separate your trash from the recycleables, nice folks huh?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 AM

622 posts, read 1,723,628 times
I got one better, because here they will then proceed to write you a ticket for not recycling your recyclables. That is the way of bureaucracies and money-hungry municipalities.

However, that said, and however annoyed I may be with the way that folks in charge like to run roughshod over people, I am all for recycling.

Now I wish we could do something for that sea of plastic sludge floating out in the Pacific.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
In Albuquerque recyclables are separated and sorted at the City's recycling processing facility. They are then baled and sold to recyclers in New Mexico and across the US.

Rich

Old 02-11-2009, 02:29 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
There is a company recently announced in Albuquerque that makes planting material out of recycled glass, and they say they could take 20X what Albuquerque produces for recycling.

There's a great slate article at Is it worth it to wash out your recyclables? - By Nina Shen Rastogi - Slate Magazine that addresses bottle washing for recycling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico