Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,922 times

Advertisements

"Case in point: A mere 1.5 degrees F. increase has helped to wipe out nearly all mature Bandelier pinyons."
Heat sends Southwest climate back in time | csmonitor.com

Moderator cut: The current correct URL on 23 Jul 2012 appears to be: Heat sends Southwest climate back in time

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-23-2012 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Idunn: Thanks for the link! I find this sort of article very interesting. It doesn't take much of a climatic change to have big ramifications.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 AM

8 posts, read 25,287 times
The climate is always in flux. New Mexico is neither hotter or colder than any time in history.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymes with house View Post
The climate is always in flux. New Mexico is neither hotter or colder than any time in history.
thanks for your smart reasoning power..

Nita

Old 01-10-2009, 09:44 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Idunn noted:

> "Case in point: A mere 1.5 degrees F. increase ...

1.5 deg F increase would have the effect of moving down in elevation
by about 330 ft.

Put another way, treeline ( where it is too cold for trees to grow on the
tops of mountains over about 12k ft in NM ) should climb about 330 ft.

The article briefly mentioned the Little Ice Age ( roughly the beginning
of the 1300's to the mid 1800's ) that had an effect on NM.

They didn't mention the effect that the Medieval Warm Period had on
NM. ( Wikipedia: "The Medieval Warm Period was a time of warm
weather around 800-1300") This coincides with the time that the
Anasazi abandoned many of their dwellings.

Although Global Warming doesn't mean that everyplace will be warmer
and drier, as the article discusses, I believe (*) it's likely to be that
way in NM based on what happened before.

Therefore, I'm voting for the cost of wasteful, green lawns to go way up.

I will not go as far as Don Schrader ( AKA Naked Guy )
has suggested, however.

(*) "I belive" -- Note that I'm making a prediction that worth what the
reader paid for it. It's just like all the other predictions that the PhD
eggheads are making. For all we know, whilst the seas are rising and
other places dry up, NM might get cooler and Albuquerque could be
getting 100" of snow on an annual basis in 100 years.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymes with house View Post
About a year ago I downloaded all the temperature files from the nearby climate stations (near Ruidoso). Most have data since ~1900. The temperature meandered along, then clearly went up starting ~1970. It is currently ~1.5-2 F higher than the previous trend.

Going back a little farther in time, you can see that the world is warmer than any time in the last 2000 years.

Going back to the last few ice ages (which seem to occur in a pretty regular cycle), the shocking thing is how brief the "warm" periods (like our current epoch) tend to be compared to the cold ones. It would also be easy to make a case that an ice age could be imminent... since we have already enjoyed a warm period that is longer than normal.

I'm ambivalent concerning global warming. It is possible that our unwitting expulsion of CO2 into the atmosphere might turn out to be a beneficial thing for the world climate. Being a little warmer will certainly "hurt" less than being a lot colder (ice age). Unfortunately, AFAIK no one understands this long term temperature cycle very well... we don't know what causes it, and we also don't know if our "meddling" in the global temperture will ultimately trigger an ice age!

There are plenty of other good reasons to reduce fossil fuel and wasteful energy consumption though...
Attached Thumbnails
Effects Of Climate Change In New Mexico-2000_year_temperature_comparison.png   Effects Of Climate Change In New Mexico-global_temp2.jpg  

Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
About a year ago I downloaded all the temperature files from the nearby climate stations (near Ruidoso). Most have data since ~1900. The temperature meandered along, then clearly went up starting ~1970. It is currently ~1.5-2 F higher than the previous trend.

Going back a little farther in time, you can see that the world is warmer than any time in the last 2000 years.

Going back to the last few ice ages (which seem to occur in a pretty regular cycle), the shocking thing is how brief the "warm" periods (like our current epoch) tend to be compared to the cold ones. It would also be easy to make a case that an ice age could be imminent... since we have already enjoyed a warm period that is longer than normal.

I'm ambivalent concerning global warming. It is possible that our unwitting expulsion of CO2 into the atmosphere might turn out to be a beneficial thing for the world climate. Being a little warmer will certainly "hurt" less than being a lot colder (ice age). Unfortunately, AFAIK no one understands this long term temperature cycle very well... we don't know what causes it, and we also don't know if our "meddling" in the global temperture will ultimately trigger an ice age!

There are plenty of other good reasons to reduce fossil fuel and wasteful energy consumption though...
Has it ever occurred to you, that normal changes will continue to occur? Same as some things becoming extinct. Life changes, eventually you may be right, another ice age, followed by what? With all the world concerns and problems I think there are many things we can worry about other than Global warming.

Nita

Old 01-11-2009, 01:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
I must disagree, although there certainly are many other things we can worry about. Sure, species become extinct, but we don't have to hurry them along with man-made global warming. There is little doubt that we are contributing to it, and even if one doesn't care about other species becoming extinct, it's going to affect the lives of humans when the coastlines of today are under water, the polar ice diminishes further (which reduces the earth's albedo), and the climatic changes accelerate. These are not 'normal changes' at the rate which they are occuring.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I must disagree, although there certainly are many other things we can worry about. Sure, species become extinct, but we don't have to hurry them along with man-made global warming. There is little doubt that we are contributing to it, and even if one doesn't care about other species becoming extinct, it's going to affect the lives of humans when the coastlines of today are under water, the polar ice diminishes further (which reduces the earth's albedo), and the climatic changes accelerate. These are not 'normal changes' at the rate which they are occuring.
catman, I do understand, this is a very controversial subject and some are very passionate about their views, on both sides. I am just not one that thinks there is 1-a lot that can be done and 2-that, with so many other concerns this should be at the top of anyones list. What would you suggest we do, go back to the horse and buggy days?

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti ecology, I beleive in doing whatever to clean up our lakes and rivers, I wish there was more recycling in NM like we have here and had in Texas, I beleive in driving as little as possible and have adjusted to not having a wood burning fireplace (that was hard, )

I just think some things are a product of life and can not be changed, maybe slowed to a degree, but I don't buy all the reports like you do. Maybe I have been around long enough to know we can do anything we want with studies, charts, stats etc.

Nita

Old 01-11-2009, 03:09 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Has it ever occurred to you, that normal changes will continue to occur?
Certainly... it appears that if we do nothing to modify the climate, another ice age should be expected in a few thousand years or less... maybe a lot less. An ice age would be a truly devastating

I also agree that the evidence so far does not support the idea that there is a "crisis".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico