Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,203 times

Advertisements

How about el cucuy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
The La Llorona story seems to be everywhere . . . South Texas, NM, Arizona, California. Seems to go with the ethnic territory. Besides La Llorona, don't forget the chupacabra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 PM

464 posts, read 1,157,182 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboABQ View Post
When I was in junior high/high school we did the same thing - lift the feet in the air when crossing a cattle-guard or railroad tracks. Logically, I would think it's the idea that "your feet won't get stuck in the cattle guard/railroad tracks. Realistically, this is not feasible since you're riding in a car so I dunno lol.

Lobo, that is Tooo funny! That others were doin' it too?!
I guess you might be right on the reason. Perhaps when horse and buggy were used? And it just carried on, to cars? LOL I think about it now and the thought of the Driver doin' it too and taking their foot off the gas (or brake ), and going over tracks wasn't too sharp LMBO
It was done without a thought too! Maybe 6 girls in a car and everyone liftin' their feet up LOL
Cracks me up to remember it
(I dont remember the boys, doin' it tho? )

Glad it was more than a midwestern 'thang'

Tia Dalma

Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,369 times
I'll stick with "Always drink upstream from the herd" Really just means "pay attention to what's coming your way" or "Don't let yourself get in a place where you have to take whatever comes down at you", or just "Be smart and careful in your choices"
I'd love to see los dichos come with some translations...lots of folk wisdom in Mex/New Mex., and lots of people speak lousy (or no) Spanish.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 PM

12 posts, read 63,742 times
For those of us with our minds in the gutter. I have always seen people,especially girls,kiss there hands and smack the roofs of the car when you drive through a yellow traffic light. I was told if we drove under 3 in one night of cruising it meant we were going to get lucky that night. I have also seen people do this funny smacking thing on the dashboard of cars when you see a vehicle driving with one headlight. They say Perdiddle. What is that all about?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated Person View Post
For those of us with our minds in the gutter. I have always seen people,especially girls,kiss there hands and smack the roofs of the car when you drive through a yellow traffic light. I was told if we drove under 3 in one night of cruising it meant we were going to get lucky that night. I have also seen people do this funny smacking thing on the dashboard of cars when you see a vehicle driving with one headlight. They say Perdiddle. What is that all about?

LOL I totally do that! Not always, when I'm feeling feisty. I always thought it was a bit of fungul to the man, you know? lol

The one headlight thing is a Badiddle. And if you're playing punchbug, and you get a punchbug badiddle...that is the best!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,217,092 times
Badiddle! Yeah! I sucked at that game in high school! And still suck today.

My wife just finished beating me up on our way home from the in-laws. lol

Old 01-16-2009, 07:17 PM

12 posts, read 63,742 times
Does anybody still play slugbug when you see a volkswagon beetle? Or cadillac whack when you spot a cadillac. I remember my sister punching the heck out of my arms on our trips out of town.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated Person View Post
Does anybody still play slugbug when you see a volkswagon beetle? Or cadillac whack when you spot a cadillac. I remember my sister punching the heck out of my arms on our trips out of town.

LOL that's what we called punchbug...but the cadillac whack is new to me!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,374 times
My kids are punchbug fiends. Around here, i'm tryin' not to play squishbug with the truck :-)

Old 01-21-2009, 05:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
New Mexico superstition, if you kill a Child of the Earth your mother in law will haunt you forever. This is suppose to be a Child of the Earth, what I saw was uglier, but they are pretty scary:
//www.city-data.com/forum/5680823-post2.html

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico