Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 AM

42 posts, read 88,442 times

Advertisements

I plan to relocate from PA to NM in the relatively near future. I will be limited to Sect. 8 housing, at least for a while. For those who have experienced both towns on more than a drive through basis, how do you feel about living in T or C, NM vs. Deming? Here is what I've observed so far in researching both towns...

When I page around in each town via Google's "Street View" feature, Deming appears to be a much more up-beat, well-kept town with far more "green space" (trees, shrubs, lawns with some color, etc.) than T or C. They care about how the town looks. The T or C town websites look clean & crisp, but when I actually look around with "Street View" - way too much square footage of T or C is falling down at best, and block after block of junky trailers & tumble weed at worst. Except for the highway in the northern end of town near the golf course, the stores seem few & far between. Don't look for a corner Rite Aid, it's not there... What is there to do in T or C...? Compared to Deming, is there much to pick from? There is barely 1 tree anywhere, & many of the ones I see appear to be dead. In contrast, the mountains closely surrounding T or C, the Rio Grande, & nearby Elephant Butte Lake really are pretty nice. Given the scenery, I wonder why don't they take better care of the town. It makes me want to join the town council, & help give the environment a face lift... T or C could use some TLC. I like the desert, & I don't expect to see Houston - but I would like to see some landscaping... The upside? Housing in T or C is readily available to me, & coming in from out of state, that is major. I can't do this in CA, where the in-state & in-county preferences will perpetually push my name down the lists. So housing is the primary factor determining my choice of towns.

I am coming from a fairly high crime area, & I want to avoid spending everything I have to move into the same situation, 2K miles away. There are plenty of druggies, dead beats, & gang boys right here in downtown Meadville, PA... So in your experience, which town would be safer to live in? Are the people more intelligent to interact with in one town vs. the other? For example, Meadville locals are a perfect balance between ignorant, obstinate, & hateful. And they drive just the same. What are the pros & cons of either town's social environments?

It also seems that Deming has more to offer in the way of the human services that someone on disability might seek. How is T or C for social services & medical care? How knowledgeable & professional are they? Can I even find a decent Veterinary clinic in T or C...? I don't have town phone books, but my searches in yellowpages.com yield few resources. My hope is that things really are there, but just aren't listed. If there's anything T or C has in the way of town content, that you think Deming actually doesn't, I am interested to hear your views.

Does T or C have many tourist shops/attractions where a person might find work? That's the kind of thing I'd like to do. What about Deming? I'd like to eventually sell various types of bead work on consignment, & I wonder if there is much of a tourist market for these in either town. One wonders if tourists even bother to venture too far off the highway into T or C... Perhaps there may be too many eye sores along even the main drags through town to encourage further exploration, and the spending of time & money. But, I also wonder if it's a safer place to sleep at night... In projects, where the neighborhoods are rarely first rate. If anyone knows anything about Deming Manor Apts, or the Housing Authority projects in T or C, I'd be curious to hear about what you've learned.

The climate data on-site suggests T or C & Deming are almost identical in monthly temperature, rainfall, humidity, & other factors. About as close as 2 cities can be. And yet, nothing is green in T or C. Except for the occasional lone, isolated shriveled bush. Causing me to wonder if it actually rains a bit more in Deming than the stats indicate, encouraging more things to grow. Based on your own experience, are they as close in climate as the data suggests? How effective is air conditioning in 15% humidity in the spring...? How long does the occasional snow these 2 towns get stay on the ground? It snows during 6-7 months of the year here, even more than the Meadville, PA data suggests - & for reasons of health & sanity, I am getting out of here... Beading supplies in tow.

I encourage you to compare the quality of authentic Mexican food in either town as well... And to point out any local Native American land marks & attractions.

Everyone's input is valued & appreciated. TY in advance for helping me to make educated choices in living arrangements.

-PA Escapee

PS ~ I took 2 years of high school Spanish a bazillion years ago... Would it help me blend in to brush up a bit on my Spanish?

Last edited by PA Escapee; 02-01-2009 at 06:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 05:48 PM

9 posts, read 31,912 times
Hi PA, like you I'm tired of freezing during the winter and dripping with humidity during the summer - but in southeast Iowa. I've been looking for a better climate and honing in on NM or TX (lived in Lubbock as a newlywed for a short year during early 80's).

I live in a city of about 22,000 with a lot of industry that's being hit HARD with layoffs, etcs (luckily I've not been affected - maybe I should say YET). It'll be a year or so before I'm ready to move but wondering what type of jobs are likely... in addition to your questions. Hope you don't mind me tagging onto your post.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:27 PM

42 posts, read 88,442 times
Lightbulb Warmer Climates & Sunny Days...

Hi Picsnapper - tag right along! You asked a very good question, & I hope someone might post your answer.

Based on what I've read, Deming seems to be on a positive economic spiral, growing & expanding as a community, vs. in a state of decline. But that's just my perception. If you enjoy bigger cities, Las Cruces may have even more work. You may want to post what type of industry you're looking for. Perhaps someone in the know will be able to direct you to where the growth in your labor market is in NM, or in TX.

You may also wish to check out the thread titled, "Amount of wind in NM in spring" under the New Mexico category. I found some interesting surprises posted there, that the climate data for cities in Central/Southern NM does not seem to address. Namely, the relentless high-velocity winds that blow daily through the Spring, & on into Summer... Reduced visibility causing accidents not due to white-outs, as we are used to - but due to dust & sand storms...

I don't know if such would be a deciding factor, but it certainly is something very important to at least be aware of... After my winter accident a few years back, that is one of the things I really wanted to get away from. Vs. simply changing the color & texture of the airborne debris obscuring the roadway... If there are other hidden climate, economic, or demographic issues (or blessings!) concerning New Mexico, my hope is that this thread will help to shake them out. Or... dust them off.

Best wishes for a successful relocation,

--PA Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICSNAPPER View Post
Hi PA, like you I'm tired of freezing during the winter and dripping with humidity during the summer - but in southeast Iowa. I've been looking for a better climate and honing in on NM or TX (lived in Lubbock as a newlywed for a short year during early 80's).

I live in a city of about 22,000 with a lot of industry that's being hit HARD with layoffs, etcs (luckily I've not been affected - maybe I should say YET). It'll be a year or so before I'm ready to move but wondering what type of jobs are likely... in addition to your questions. Hope you don't mind me tagging onto your post.

Last edited by PA Escapee; 02-01-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Your not gonna find many jobs in either deming or t or c as both towns are very small as t or c is around 7,500 and deming is around 20,000 people. Both have lots of ''sunbirds'' during the winter months from the northern states and i believe t or c has more retirees living there year round do to elephant butte reservior and the numerous hot springs there and deming has several food processing plants there that brings in a younger crowd there.

As for t or c looking rough that's true but i believe many there want it that way as it feels like an 1800's old west town as many like that nostalgia feeling. Kinda like a Bisbee or Globe, Arizona. Both deming and t or c are about 50 miles from the mogollons mountains as silver city is north of deming and west of t or c with miles upon miles of green national forest with lakes, camping and mountain streams etc.

As for needing to speak spanish.....not needed at all however the more you know the better you'll be as there are many folks from mexico in those towns especially deming as they are close to mexico.

Anything else just ask.

6/3

Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,948 times
Here's how I feel about both towns. zzzzzz.......zzzzzzzz......zzzzzz.....zzzzzz.....z zzzz......zzzzzz.....zzzzz....zzzzz....zzzzz.....z zzzz......zzzzz

Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Escapee View Post
PS ~ I took 2 years of high school Spanish a bazillion years ago... Would it help me blend in to brush up a bit on my Spanish?
It wouldn't hurt, but I would not expend too much energy. My native language is Spanish, but I don't speak it that well and the dialect here is a bit different for me. Ironically I probably have used my Spanish more in PA than in NM.

Rich

Old 02-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Hey 6/3, thanks for the info but I'm wondering what your suggestion of a community would be then for a say an independent SWF, mid-40s (not necessarily looking and not a club gal) used to $40,000+/yr income with a manufacturing customer relations position - relocation with the company isn't an option.

I don't think I'm interested in a big city - as I mentioned I live in a town of 22,000 which is also about an hour away from a couple of cities that are much larger so I'm used to driving if I want something that Wal-Mart doesn't have...we have no mall here...but I also don't want to drive an hour to get to work.

Somewhat laid back - but still moving; not too touristy is what I'm looking for.

I know...not many demands, huh.?. Got any suggestions?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 PM

102 posts, read 586,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PICSNAPPER View Post
Hey 6/3, thanks for the info but I'm wondering what your suggestion of a community would be then for a say an independent SWF, mid-40s (not necessarily looking and not a club gal) used to $40,000+/yr income with a manufacturing customer relations position - relocation with the company isn't an option.
Not a native here, but for what it's worth (I've kicnked around the area quite a bit) I don't think you will find that type of position in either T or C or in Deming. However, if you are willing to commute I think El Paso will be your best bet.

Las Cruces may be a possibility, although their ecomnomy seems to be driven by White Sands MR, Agriculture and NMSU.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Here's how I feel about both towns. zzzzzz.......zzzzzzzz......zzzzzz.....zzzzzz.....z zzzz......zzzzzz.....zzzzz....zzzzz....zzzzz.....z zzzz......zzzzz
Clearly, someone considering moving to T or C or Deming is not looking for excitement generated externally. They are looking to create their own excitement. Boredom is the sign of a lazy mind.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 PM

You're very right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico