Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:35 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Here is some great snake medicine. It will work well on the two legged critters as well.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

We have some snake medicine of our own. The Kimber has a conversion kit that makes it a 22 (much cheaper for target practice and quite honestly, much easier for me to handle). I just need more face time with them. And then, rattlesnakes beware! So far we have had only bullsnakes on the property. They tend to want to spend more time over at the neighbors' barn. We have horses and poultry in the neighborhood, and we have no livestock, so, really, the snakes are wasting their time at my house.

I know Steve-O is somewhere out there in cyberspace shuddering right now, but if I had to choose between the safety of my family and friends or killing a rattlesnake, well, who wants some grilled snake for dinner?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 PM

215 posts, read 652,654 times
I always carry my 22 with snake loads in it as well. It really is the only sure way to get 'giggy' with them. We also use 'snake away', a powder that you sprinkle around the perimeter of your property and for some reason the snakes don't pass through it. I'm hoping that the New Mexico snakes won't like it much either. I hope I can find it here, if not i'll just order online.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:09 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,347,652 times
I have lots of rattlesnakes here in Eastern Oklahoma. My ranch is very rural, rocky and hilly. My house is built on a hill called rattlesnake hill. Some of the Indians come once in a while to hunt them. Well, one of my horses has been bit twice by a rattler and almost died the second time. All my dogs have been bit by cooperheads. WHAT I AM WONDERING is I believe our rattle and cooperheads must not be as posien as yours. Ours are called Timber rattlers. I actually stepped over one not long ago. My husband killed it. I didn't have my 22, I hardly ever think of caring it and I see snakes all the time. Twice I took protection next to the bull because of Mountain Lions. Yes, it is stupid not to carry a gun. Your making me think right now.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,355,235 times
I haven't seen any rattlesnakes here but I have seen some bright green snakes.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 PM

Are you sure they did not migrate down from Los Alamos or over from the Trinity Site?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:21 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,347,652 times
Like I said one of the horses has been bitten twice by a rattler. Almost died but I met the vet half way with the largest shot I've ever given for the poor horse.

I still think that maybe Timber Rattlesnakes venum isn't as bad as the Diamond Back. Does anyone know the difference between rattlesnakes?

Pintada Kid, after my husband retires, we are moving to Northern New Mexico. As far as guns go. I am just not gun savy. I practically have to read the directions everytime I want to shoot a coyote. I have never killed one just the noise makes them run into the hills..... When my husband travels, at night, if I feel a little scared alone, I go out and shoot into the sky just for the noise of the gun. . Then there is dead silience. Not a sound from those mean coyotes. That is my gun experience.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,439,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I think we have bells on the walking sticks but thanks for the reminder to check. I do this because of all sorts of critters we could encounter in the Cibola Nat'l Forest.
People, stay away from Pintada Kid's threads on snakes. He is fairly reliable on some other posts, but when it comes to venomous creatures, pay no mind.

Ill be the first to tell you that you can wear all the bells and whistles you want, but it wont do a dang thing to keep the snakes away because THEY DONT HAVE EARS! The BEST thing you can do while hiking in rattlesnake country (ie ALL of NM) is to wear thick leather boots that will be hard to bite through, snake chaps or gaitors, and dont step on or over rocks w/o looking first. Keep your hands and feet where you can see them and just think smart. Snakes are NOT evil nor out to get you. Learn about them first before you all judge them.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 AM

My cat won't bite you and kill you before the LifeFlight can make it to your house.

I know I would not ENJOY watching my child die before my eyes.

I do just what you suggest with bullsnakes. They are beneficial. I do not have the same respect for rattlesnakes.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
If you live after a Rattlesnake Bite that will be the Sugar to getting bit, living.
Pintada Kid, Ive had enough of your BS. Youre scaring people and presenting nothing but lies and ridiculous minsinformation to the readers. Im telling you RIGHT NOW to stop posting BS about venomous critters. Its readily apparent that you know as much about venomous snakes as Columbians know about building igloos. Ive had enough and Im not gonna sit by and watch you terrorize the people of NM with your BS lies about venomous snakes. It starts NOW!

Did you know that only .2% (yes, thats 1/5th of ONE PERCENT) of rattlesnake bite victims die? Hmm? Your ridiculous statement "if you live after a rattlesnake bite" is complete and utter BS. A rattlesnake bite is not a death sentence in any sense of the word. But thanks to uneducated people like yourself, you spread LIES all over the internet and needlessly scare people!!!!!! Most rattlesnake bites are DRY anyways. They do NOT want to harm you, and 9 times out of 10, they will retreat the other way. If you get bit its because you either stepped on it accidentally, bothered it repeatedly, or tried to handle it. Know, tell me, WHOS fault is it if you get bit? What are your chances of dying?

Thats what I thought.

People, understand that rattlesnakes are probably one of the easiest and most forgiving wild animals to work with on earth. They dont bite unless you persistently bothered. They dont hunt you down. Theyre even kind enough to alert you of their presence. EVEN THEN they will still usually deliver a venom-less bite (called a "dry bite") rather than use their venom. Does it make any sense to you why you hate them so much and persecute them? All youre really doing is harming your neighborhood because each snake you kill consumes roughly 9 lbs of rodents per year. 9 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So go ahead, be afraid of a gentle creature that was put on this earth to HELP YOU. Go ahead and feel the need to butcher them, you just let 9 lbs of rodents go unchecked, rodents that will gnaw their way into your home and leave droppings all over the place and carry disease for you and your children to inherit.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
My cat won't bite you and kill you before the LifeFlight can make it to your house.

I know I would not ENJOY watching my child die before my eyes.

I do just what you suggest with bullsnakes. They are beneficial. I do not have the same respect for rattlesnakes.
Thats ridiculous. Youre NOT going to die from a rattlesnake bite. Most of the bites are dry. And its not like youll die within minutes anyways. Most bite victims (even those who take badly to the venom) drive themselves to the hospital just fine, some even hiking back to their cars for MILES to call for help. Its clear youre just another one of the masses who watches too many movies and doesnt understand the critters whatsoever. Thats ok, Im here to try and reverse that.

And no, your cat might not kill me, but it sure can take a dump in my yard, and my son could step in it and get toxoplasmosis because of it. Sounds lovely, eh?

More people die in the US from doggie attacks than venomous snakebites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico