Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:20 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Hey... New Mexico sounds like a pretty good place. I like it when a state has the guts to stand up to a noisy little special interest group.
Well I guess to the finger wagging, right wing, hate mongers and morality police civil rights is a special interest. How they miss the good old days of slavery.

Last edited by geos; 03-01-2009 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
I'm a straight woman that has been living with my man for over 4 years.
I think marriage is a good thing but for me to get married again and lose an annuity and health insurance that I get from when my late husband was paying into survivor benefit plans would be stupid and mindless. I would lose it if I ever got remarried.
I do resent this because we are living as a 'married' couple without the piece of paper. We have the commitment toward each other and the religious fanatics come along and cause problems for people like us and for the gay/lesbians.
Why not let people live there lives the way they choose as long as no one is harming anyone else?
I don't think God/Goddess gives a rats ass how people live as long as they live decent lives.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Why not let people live there lives the way they choose as long as no one is harming anyone else?
I don't think God/Goddess gives a rats ass how people live as long as they live decent lives.
Very well said!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
The right for gays to marry was struck down in California back in November. As a native Californian, I was shocked! That reminded me that perhaps California residence are not as liberal as the rest of the US might think.

And to the original poster, "Da legislature" doesn't equal the people of New Mexico. Really, I don't care if you love or hate the place. I'm not fond of New Mexico myself so bash away at it if you must. I just think it's wrong for you to think striking down that bill means homophobia.

Some people are not homophobic, but they don't agree with gay couples having the same rights as straight couples. Some people don't care what rights gay couples have, and don't oppose gay marriages, as long as they don't have to see any gay couples with their own eyes.
and some of us are far from homophobic but draw the line at gay marriage. We have a foster daughter who is gay, guess what? She does not believe in gay marriage either..She certainly believes in domestic partnership but feels that actual marriage is a ceremony between a man and woman. She doesn't feel she needs that to be happy with her partner of 15 years.

Nita

Old 03-03-2009, 12:08 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and some of us are far from homophobic but draw the line at gay marriage. We have a foster daughter who is gay, guess what? She does not believe in gay marriage either..She certainly believes in domestic partnership but feels that actual marriage is a ceremony between a man and woman. She doesn't feel she needs that to be happy with her partner of 15 years.

Nita
If marriage is a "ceremony" between a man and a woman, should marriages even be recognized by the government? Maybe only domestic partnerships should be recognized, of which marriage would be a subset.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
If marriage is a "ceremony" between a man and a woman, should marriages even be recognized by the government? Maybe only domestic partnerships should be recognized, of which marriage would be a subset.
Can't answer that one as I have never given it much thought. The important thing is, anyone living in a relationship should have domestic equality when it comes to sharing. I think insurance should be available as well. It is the ceremony itself that seems to be the stumbling block..

Nita

Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Default Freedom of choice

Quote:

Nita
So should her 'feelings' be what drives the law? Just let people do what they want as long as there is no harm done to anyone else. As songinthewind7's post shows, the laws surrounding marriage (and remarriage) are in need of revision.

Some gay couples do feel the need for marriage. Why shouldn't they be able to?

(This is all I'm going to say about it here, since it properly belongs in a different forum!)

Old 03-03-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
So should her 'feelings' be what drives the law? Just let people do what they want as long as there is no harm done to anyone else. As songinthewind7's post shows, the laws surrounding marriage (and remarriage) are in need of revision.

Some gay couples do feel the need for marriage. Why shouldn't they be able to?

(This is all I'm going to say about it here, since it properly belongs in a different forum!)
Did I say her feelings drives the law, I stated what they were, simple as that.

Nita

Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Okay. Sorry about that. I guess I'm simply surprised that a gay person wouldn't want it to be an option, whether she personally wants to do it or not.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 AM

93 posts, read 309,364 times
Quote:

Nita
If your foster daughter doesn't believe in marriage, then she shouldn't get married. That doesn't mean that she has the right to impose her belief on everyone else. Also, keep in mind that gay people are not looking for religious marriage ceremonies. Those 'sacred' ceremonies can be reserved for straight people, 50% of whom will eventually make a mockery out of it by divorcing or having extra marital affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico