Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:04 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know and I am determined, if for no other reason, the cost. As for health, I have probably already damaged my heart, lungs and what ever else from over 50 years of lighting up. Pat quit in 1986 and have never had a desire to pick one up. He had just bought a carton and kept it for about 5 years. The only problem I have with his not smoking, he chews gum and it drives me nuts.!!!!!

Nita
Well, as I understand it, once you stop, the damage can start to heal itself...and at least you aren't doing any further damage to the system.

Gum chewing may drive you nuts, but if that is what it takes to keep him from picking up another cigarette, it's worth it. It is worth whatever it takes, any crutch, to not be a slave to the nasty habit.

My crutches were diet Coke, gum and mints!! I went through a ton of Wintergreen and Spearmint mints, LOL!! I seldom went home between the time I quit and when my parents quit. I hated seeing the overflowing ash trays..and the STINK. OMG. My older sister quit first, and after I quit, we complained so much about the stink that they finally quit themselves. I never thought I'd see the day.

I can't believe I ever smoked now. While coke, gum and mints came in the days that followed, I used a little aversion therapy. I sat down at the kitchen table with a pack of Marlboro Kings, gold.

I smoked the entire pack of 20 consecutively. Needless to say, I got sick as a dog with low-level nicotine poisoning. I threw up and had one heck of a hangover/headache the next day.

But it worked. The misery was worth it to me to be free of it, though I wouldn't recommend it for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times
Congrats to all of you that have quit.
I did it as a social thing back in high school and at bars in the 80's. Never saw the need to do it all the time.
Charlie smokes like a fiend though. Wish he would quit but he doesn't want to.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 AM

I'll also add that my late husband was told to give up smoking or he wouldn't be around in a couple of months. He stopped and was told a year later at a checkup that his lungs were like one that never smoked.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, as I understand it, once you stop, the damage can start to heal itself...and at least you aren't doing any further damage to the system.

Gum chewing may drive you nuts, but if that is what it takes to keep him from picking up another cigarette, it's worth it. It is worth whatever it takes, any crutch, to not be a slave to the nasty habit.

My crutches were diet Coke, gum and mints!! I went through a ton of Wintergreen and Spearmint mints, LOL!! I seldom went home between the time I quit and when my parents quit. I hated seeing the overflowing ash trays..and the STINK. OMG. My older sister quit first, and after I quit, we complained so much about the stink that they finally quit themselves. I never thought I'd see the day.

I can't believe I ever smoked now. While coke, gum and mints came in the days that followed, I used a little aversion therapy. I sat down at the kitchen table with a pack of Marlboro Kings, gold.

I smoked the entire pack of 20 consecutively. Needless to say, I got sick as a dog with low-level nicotine poisoning. I threw up and had one heck of a hangover/headache the next day.

But it worked. The misery was worth it to me to be free of it, though I wouldn't recommend it for everybody.
oh, I can think of another way to keep him from chewing gum, I could strangle him, but you all know I believe in capitol purnishment and I don't want to die yet. Of course I could claim self defense...

Old 03-31-2009, 01:22 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,326,158 times
The VA won't prescribe Chantix for me, they say it's too expensive.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM

Isn't that the drug that they talk about on tv and not to take it anymore?

Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,326,158 times
Yes. I was using Wellbutrin but it made me feel very strange. almost homicidal. They claim Chantix is worse, but if people can handle the side effects, it will help kick the smoking habit.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:33 PM

I think the best way and safest way is to just quit and suck on mints, chew gum.
A friend of mine used the patch and a fake plastic cig to hold in his hand and he hasn't smoked in about 12 years.
If you can't just quit, make it your goal to cut back one cig per day or maybe one cig per couple of days and take baby steps.
If you slip up, don't give up and throw in the towel. Tomorrow is another day.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:31 PM

6 posts, read 20,582 times
Reply to all,,, you blame cigs for all your problems,,well take a look at the drug companys, 50 s -60- s ok,, then came ban on cigs,, and drugs take over, now we can,t eat food without fear of contaminatin, materials are toxic, toys are killing babys, or pets are dieing, houseing materials are toxic. well read the papers,, yes keep buyin that aspin or what ever,, the drug companys or chia will kill you ,,,,,,they are one of the same\\\\\\\\

Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,840 times
Default Wish me luck!

I am heading into my 3rd day without cigarettes. It has been hard because I am doing it completely cold turkey, but I think I am going to make it. I have quit before but the problem is, I actually enjoy smoking a cigarette. So it makes it that much harder to quit. I am really doing it this time for my wife though. She never quit with me before so now that she has decided to try, I am doing my part. Hopefully, this is the start of our smoke free life together. Now watch me die of lung cancer anyway. That would just be my luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico