Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 8,998 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My husband and I are considering buying property at either Deer Canyon Preserve near Mountainair, or Berrenda Creek Ranch. Does anyone know anything about either place? The websites are great, but we all know that can be misleading. We're visiting both in a few weeks, and would love input from anyone who lives there/has firsthand info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 8,951 times
Default More Independent Information

My wife and I are scheduled to visit Deer Canyon Preserve and would like to find a little more independent information about the development. Please provide your opinion.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:40 PM

6 posts, read 24,536 times
I haven't been to either specific property, but they are both in interesting areas of course.

I thought the area around Abo, near Moutainair, was very pretty. I think Deer Creek is more accessible than the Hillsboro property (but it depends on which way you would be travelling from - El Paso or Albuquerque, etc.). In both cases I think the drive to get to them is really flat and not very interesting. There is also a similar concept development called Windmill Ranches near Carrizozo (...perhaps it's not in the upper-end league (the prices are lower) but it's a working cattle ranch set-up also).

FWIW, I recently bought some property in a development near the Carrizozo/Capitan/Ruidoso area (but not at Windmill Ranches) and think it's interesting too.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:28 AM

22 posts, read 117,967 times
This post motivated me to join the form......
I too have looked at Deer Canyon and Berrenda Creek ranches and have followed the development for two or three years. I like the area and the format of the development, but it as I age it looks like a long way to the hospital while you could be having chest pains.
The other concern I would have for most people is that it could get lonely if you were used to people and activities. I am in production agriculture in the midwest and an used to having "distance" to neighbors, but I have had alot of city dwellers visit here and get nervous about the solitude.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 8,447 times
I bought land at Deer Canyon Preserve almost 2 years ago. I have attended homeowner meetings and met many of the landowners there. Almost everyone I met was outgoing, friendly and likeminded. They make their own entertainment with morning walks, pot lucks and parties even though so far there are only ~12 houses occcupied. Several others are being built. The covenents are strict but that is one of the things I like about it.
My land is gorgeous with a wonderful view of the mountains (I'm still learning their names). I will start building this summer if all goes well. The people at the deer canyon office continue to be helpful and friendly even after purchase.
Though Mountainair does not have a lot to offer, Belen is about 45 minutes away for medical care and shopping. Albuquerque is about an hour and 15 min but it is an easy drive.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 10,794 times
Deer Canyon and other projects by the developer do offer very lovely properties. Frances Gonzales at the Deer Canyon office is a fantastic person who has lived in the area for a very long time - in my opinion, one of Deer Canyons greatest resources!

Other properties are available in the area of the Deer Canyon subdivision with only county level restrictions to light restrictive covenants, much more affordable and just as lovely.

Concerns about distance to medical care: Mountainair has an OUTSTANDING Fire/EMT department and should there be a serious health issue, Life Flight comes to fly those types of situations out to the hospitals. Also there is the health clininc in Mountainair and First Choice does a fantastic job in Edgewood.

Community Size: Mountainair has been experiencing a rebirth of sorts. Folks who have purchased properties in the past are begining to build thier homes. As the community continues to grow, more services will become available - just a matter of time.

My family really enjoys living here and we welcome any of you that decide to relocate to our area!

Old 07-13-2007, 06:25 AM

101 posts, read 386,112 times
We just recently purchased a lot in Deer Canyon. I will second that comment about Frances of Deer Canyon Preserve.

If anyone has a questions concerning the development I will try to answer.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:02 PM

9 posts, read 44,371 times
We have looked at the website and was wondering how many owners are only there part-time (2nd home) vs. full-time? Also, what does it cost to build at Deer Canyon? Thanks.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 AM

101 posts, read 386,112 times
There are about 12 existing homes at this time and my impression was most of them are full-time homes (2 are guest-houses for visiting, prospective buyers).

About 12 more were about to break ground last spring.

As far as your question "What does it cost to bulid there?", I'm not sure what you're asking. You could spend a million dollars or you could spend $200,000.

If you have any more question I'll be glad to help.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 AM

9 posts, read 44,371 times
So most of sold sites are not occupied yet? I was wondering the average price per square foot to build. We are fairly modern & would like to build a home that is traditional exterior but fairly open & minimal on the interior.

I read that you had to be complete in a year and was wondering if that is feasible given resources & weather? Also what is the deal with water? Does each homesite get or share a well? How does that work?

Can you get high speed internet there?

Are there good homesites left for sale?

I assume you live there?

If one was coming to see the property, what might be a good area to stay in if you have a weekend & want to see some different communities or areas within an hours range of ABC airport but where you'd ultimately have an hour or so access to Santa Fe or ABQ? Thanks.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico