Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,683 times

Advertisements

Someone I knows says that, in her experience, New Mexico is a *very* unique
place as it's mostly deserted and there are some very bizarre cultural bubbles
going on that no one hears about.

Also lots of rednecks that fear the government and believe 'the greys' have taken over already.

Y'know...that type.

I'm not judging...'redneck' is not a bad word to me.

Just asking.
What's your opinion?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post

Also lots of rednecks that fear the government and believe 'the greys' have taken over already.

Y'know...that type.

Just asking.
What's your opinion?
You spend a lot of time in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum, so I guess you want to verify rumors, myths, jaw gumming etc?

Come out to New Mexico and check it out yourself... I have been here 10 years this time. Yes, New Mexico is unique. I really don't know what a "redneck" is anymore....

If there are "bizarre cultural bubbles going on that no one hears about." how did you hear about them. Nope, ain't seen them here...

New Mexico is the 5th largest state but number 38 in population. What state do you live in?

Who the heck are "the greys".

Are you trolling?

There are legends, many legends, I can only talk about them in certain places...

Rich

Old 04-20-2009, 12:02 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post

Y'know...that type.

Just asking.
What's your opinion?

there is a little bit of everything here, from scientists,rednecks,gangsters,illegals,ultra conservatives and liberals,hippies,celebrities,many different types of Native Americans,Spanish,cults,farmers,cowboys,mennonites , you name it we got it.

there are little Native American communities in the middle of nowhere,a redneck type community in the middle of nowhere(check link), a illegal Mexican community that popped up in the desert with no resources,earthship communities,and little colinias

[SIZE=4]Strong City and Wayne Bent aka Michael Travesser[/SIZE]

OFF THE GRID: Life On The Mesa Trailer

akon- ghetto halfway through the song its filmed in NM and there are little towns in NW New Mexico that looks like those towns in the Arizona part.

ghetto town in New Mexico (Southern New Mexico)

Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
Judging from the first three words in your sentence, 'someone I knows', suggest you and your friend may need to refresh your English and writing skills.
As far as thinking that NM is a bunch of rednecks; I don't see the comparison of redneck and government and not sure what 'type' you're talking about.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:42 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
there is a little bit of everything here, from scientists,rednecks,gangsters,illegals,ultra conservatives and liberals,hippies,celebrities,many different types of Native Americans,Spanish,cults,farmers,cowboys,mennonites , you name it we got it.
Hey! You forgot me, the drunk Irish guy

NM has a little bit of everything and everyone which is what makes it an interesting and great place to live IMHO.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-20-2009 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
I have a couple of observations regarding this matter, and they likely won't be popular ones. Hell, they might not even be correct. The first is that one of the MAJOR differences between here and where I lived on the east coast is the amount of transient people (some call them 'bums' or 'homeless') that are visible in almost every area of almost every neighborhood in the city I live in (Las Cruces). A case can be made that since Las Cruces is in fact, a 'city', such is to be expected. However, I've noticed similar population in a town half the size (Alamogordo) as well as even smaller population centers, such as Deming. If you live in the Mid-Atlantic or New England regions, you just don't see this, it's limited to inner cities, and even there, it's not nearly as pronounced. To be fair, I just returned from Portland Oregon, and saw this everywhere in Portland as well. I've been to San Diego and all around California, and notice this as well. Therefore, I wonder if this condition is more common as you enter into the Mountain West and West Coast states.

The other observation I have is there seems to be a very 'thin' middle class in this state, or less conventional nuclear families, than what I remember back east. I am talking about a stable, two parent household, with 2 or 3 children, employed or engaged in specialized strains of economic activity. (examples: IT, biotechnology, finance) What you have here is many more couples living together, not necessarily married, or many more couples who do not have children. How many, for instance, who post here, have children? How many in other C-D state forums have children, in comparison? I might be off in this observation, but that is my perception. There seems to be two disparate classes: 1) permanent underclass and 2) upper and upper-middle class, who have largely relocated from other areas, taking their earned money with them. I have a suspicion there is a greater % of middle class around the ABQ area than here, but still much less than a city of comparable size (for example, Kansas City or Cleveland). I think such variables go a long way in explaining why New Mexico is the 6th poorest state in the country, when it comes to per capita income.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,217,092 times
Sounds right to me mike.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:28 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post

there are little Native American communities in the middle of nowhere,a redneck type community in the middle of nowhere(check link), a illegal Mexican community that popped up in the desert with no resources,earthship communities,and little colinias

[SIZE=4]Strong City and Wayne Bent aka Michael Travesser[/SIZE]

OFF THE GRID: Life On The Mesa Trailer

akon- ghetto halfway through the song its filmed in NM and there are little towns in NW New Mexico that looks like those towns in the Arizona part.

ghetto town in New Mexico (Southern New Mexico)

here are those links,the above dont work

YouTube - OFF THE GRID: Life On The Mesa Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwJe_1UeO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtus5C2mPWU

Old 04-20-2009, 11:29 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
The West DOES attract more of a transient population.

BUT..it also has to be kept in mind that within the last couple years, we've seen a significantly sharp increase in losses of jobs, more tent cities (homeless), etc...in addition to that often occuring in California in particular, I think that which happens in the northern climates often shifts southward to warmer climates as well.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I have a couple of observations regarding this matter, and they likely won't be popular ones. Hell, they might not even be correct. The first is that one of the MAJOR differences between here and where I lived on the east coast is the amount of transient people (some call them 'bums' or 'homeless') that are visible in almost every area of almost every neighborhood in the city I live in (Las Cruces). A case can be made that since Las Cruces is in fact, a 'city', such is to be expected. However, I've noticed similar population in a town half the size (Alamogordo) as well as even smaller population centers, such as Deming. If you live in the Mid-Atlantic or New England regions, you just don't see this, it's limited to inner cities, and even there, it's not nearly as pronounced. To be fair, I just returned from Portland Oregon, and saw this everywhere in Portland as well. I've been to San Diego and all around California, and notice this as well. Therefore, I wonder if this condition is more common as you enter into the Mountain West and West Coast states.
Well if you were a bum wouldn't you prefer this area? Or the West? Some of them are probably more like "hobos", not tied down, traveling around. I-10 is probably the best weather route from far west to far east where if you end up sleeping outdoors, it's not too bad. I think I see more show up in winter months in this area and in summer they likely head to other places.

I think it's weather mostly and that they aren't confined to the inner cities that we don't have here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico