Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,567 times

Advertisements

IN the next 1-2 years I`m considering relocating to NM. The only place I have ever visited is Alburquque area and that was just a few days and I really enjoyed the area for that weekend, but would like a little more less populated area.

Things I like to be somewhat near the area:

1. Outdoor activities (hiking, river kayaking, good parks, tec...)

2. Rifle ranges (shooting competitions)

3. Golf (affordable courses)

4. Affordable real estate

5. Nice Climate

These are in no particular order, but just my hobbies and interest.

Any place that might fit the bill? My career is fully portable(nurse), so I can find work anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 05:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
I have been planning to retire to New Mexico for years. Most likely place is Socorro because of the medical facilites and the college.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,567 times
Looks like an interesting little town. Turns out it has an amazing golf course. Gonna have to plan a 3-4 week vacation and check out some places.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:39 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,656,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have been planning to retire to New Mexico for years. Most likely place is Socorro because of the medical facilites and the college.
Chattcatdaddy.....yes Socorro may be a good fit for you and also i'd look at all the Rio Grande communities from Colorado all the way down to Las Cruces if Kayaking and other water sports are important to you although i believe the best part of the Rio Grande to Kayak is north of Espanola in the Box Canyon area if i'm correct on that. Maybe bradly from Espanola knows about that area of the Rio Grande...

Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 AM

185 posts, read 489,227 times
Default Socorro is great!

Quote:
Greg, last time the VLA was open, we went through Socorro for the first time, and found it to be a great little place. My wife loves adobe houses, and it is cool because as you look at the adobe books, they mostly feature houses from Taos, Santa Fe, and Socorro. It is an interesting community, and I can really understand you wanting to get there. Real estate very reasonable, and great place to be. But like so many other charming areas in New Mexico, figure on an hour drive to get to any real shopping or anything. Only drawback I see. But everything else-including the taxes!-so much better than what you and I are experiencing right now. Great choice Greg. Oh, from our experience buying in Alto/Zozo, housing prices have dipped just a bit, but seem to be starting to firm up. So if you can, you might consider going for the house, or at least the land, as soon as you can.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 AM

576 posts, read 2,309,824 times
Default Cochiti Lake

You might take a look at Cochiti Lake. Beautiful scenery, a Robert Trent Jones 18 hole golf course, water nearby (lake and river), great hiking and mountain biking. It's not too far from either Santa Fe or Albuquerque.

The real estate is very reasonable. The only drawback is that you lease the land from the Pueblo. Leases began in the 1970s are were good for 99 years at that point, costing $1250 per year.

~clairz

Old 05-01-2009, 08:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
Relocation

My considerations in order of importance:

Very short winter & dry climate
Interesting people (we are going to learn some Spanish)
Real estate available at moderate cost
Reasonably good hospital as Anne & I are not getting any younger
College or university for intellectual and cultural enrichment and part time student and/or possible part time employment
Within driving/motorcycling distance of interesting (we are amateur geologists) things and places

Not important:
Golf courses not but a tennis court nearby would be nice.
Walmart or any other big store. With the internet and the big brown trucks big stores are redundant. About the only thing I would need to buy is a used pickup truck and a street/dirt bike

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by GregW; 05-01-2009 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: added line of text

Old 05-01-2009, 02:12 PM

99 posts, read 315,947 times
Default Silver City

Quote:
Don't forget to check out Silver City. We have a large hospital, a university, a golf course, beautiful mountains around, and great weather !

Old 05-02-2009, 12:37 AM

941 posts, read 3,916,085 times
I'd like to hear about relocating to NM as well.

I'm young [in my 20s] without baggage.

I'd like to find a place in NM where I can have rural acerage, maybe a house/ranch/etc reasonably priced. How farmable is the soil in NM? I never have been there, but I'm starting to like the southwest appeal.

I don't need shopping or any of that materialistic crap.

The OP's list is pretty much the same with the exception of golfing. I don't care for it. My priority is cheap rural land.

What types of jobs are available in NM for someone without a career?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:02 AM

21 posts, read 66,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I'd like to hear about relocating to NM as well.

I'm young [in my 20s] without baggage.

I'd like to find a place in NM where I can have rural acerage, maybe a house/ranch/etc reasonably priced. How farmable is the soil in NM? I never have been there, but I'm starting to like the southwest appeal.

I don't need shopping or any of that materialistic crap.

The OP's list is pretty much the same with the exception of golfing. I don't care for it. My priority is cheap rural land.

What types of jobs are available in NM for someone without a career?
fast food restaurants, sit down dinning restaurants, walmart, hotel and motel desk clerks and maid service, convenience store clerks, fruit and vegtable pickers (seasonal work)

I'm betting it's about the same in any state .

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-02-2009 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: repaired quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico