Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 12:52 PM

7,399 posts, read 19,374,658 times

Advertisements

I've just returned from the meeting.
There was something set up on the Timberon website about sending donations to TDC and that has been taken off.
Update is that 2 permanent residents have lost there houses. The church here has set up a fund for them if you want to make a donation.
Please send check and cash donations to:
Timberon Baptist Chapel
POB 61
Timberon, NM 88350

Memo - Designate to Morgan and Hautt families.

The money will be split equally between the 2 families.

There is also an account set up for one of the families at a bank in Alamogordo but no info was given out about that.
The council decided to have the money sent to the church here and split equally.
I'm sure the website is updated now at Timberon.org

After the meeting, we drove to the area where the fire is and it's not a pretty sight. I saw a home that was spared only because the trees are thinned out. The property was badly burned but the house still stands.
Firefighters are still there but it's open to look at now.
Chilegal, Bear's Mom, Bug Scuffle - Our houses and property are so close to the fire, it's scary.
I've heard today also that the firefighters are going to stay until Monday morning.
All I know for now. Be sure to post if anything else changes or if you've heard anything different.
Cheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 04:58 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,414,271 times
Thanks for the update Cheryl, we were gone all day and I was sorry to miss the meeting.

Everything seems calm here. Are we at 100% containment yet?
(I really need to bookmark that link that Judy has posted several times that gives the status. Off to find it . . . )

Old 05-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Ha! Got it. We are at 80%
New Mexico Fire Information

Duly bookmarked

Old 05-09-2009, 05:07 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,028,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egglady View Post
Ha! Got it. We are at 80%
New Mexico Fire Information

Duly bookmarked
Its sounding better and better every day!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:40 PM

80% yay for that. It's getting there.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:34 PM

Okay I need to get this off my chest.
Sometimes I feel emotionally strong and sometimes I don't.
The other day I felt like breaking down and crying but the people I was around were so calm.
I wasn't freaking out and did what I had to do at home while Charlie was helping fight the fire but at the same time, I felt like crying. This is my first time I've dealt with disaster and a fire.
Did anyone else feel this way or is it just something you get so used to after awhile, you stay calm? Maybe the people I saw felt the way I did but had a different way of handling it.
I've thought about this today and was wondering if I was too emotional which I tend to get over emotional at times.
Sounds like a silly question but I was just wondering if anyone else feels the way I do.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Well shoot Cheryl, the fire was like a mile from your home, right? I think you're allowed to get as emotional as you want!

I was a nervous wreck and did not sleep well at all, the two nights of the fire and my stomach was in a knot most of the time. But I grew up in SoCal and am kinda used to wildfires. I've been evacuated from my home twice and have been within 20-50 miles of a large fire several times over the years.

I don't think you ever get used to it. You just learn how to deal with it.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:04 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,187,820 times
Hey, Song......you saw a fire coming at your home and the homes of friends an neighbors.....of course you were upset..who wouldn't be??!??!
You didn't go shrieking off down the road..you felt the fear, etc. and dealt with it. Put those feelings into helping your neighbors (which I'm sure you'd be doing without any urging from me) and give yourself a break. OK?
Someone you thought was looking calm and cool may very well have the same feelings you were having only they dealt with it in a different, but certainly not neccessarily better, way.
Glad your home survived.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:08 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one then.
I think I did the best I could but none of us like that 'helpless' feeling.
I guess I was expecting a bunch of panickers and I was surprised to see everyone I came in contact with to be so calm.
I don't panic unless I have to but when the sherriff came by and told me to leave and I didn't have a clue where Charlie was, I guess I did panic and break down.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Hey, Song......you saw a fire coming at your home and the homes of friends an neighbors.....of course you were upset..who wouldn't be??!??!
You didn't go shrieking off down the road..you felt the fear, etc. and dealt with it. Put those feelings into helping your neighbors (which I'm sure you'd be doing without any urging from me) and give yourself a break. OK?
Someone you thought was looking calm and cool may very well have the same feelings you were having only they dealt with it in a different, but certainly not neccessarily better, way.
Glad your home survived.
I'm laughing now because I believe everyone including myself was upset but we were all so busy trying to help each other and find out what more was going on and if people were okay, nobody really thought about breaking down.
I have a very bad habit of beating myself up if I'm not at a strong emotional high all the time.
I feel I'm not being the strong one if I break down and everyone else seems to be in control.
I need to get over trying to be so perfect and together all the time cuz that's not the way it is with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico