Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:25 PM

8 posts, read 24,959 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your help. Although we both were raised in big cities, we currently live in a very small town in the northern border (no Walmart, no McDonald's, no movie theater - not much happening here), so I'm sure we'll adjust quickly. What about wild life? I heard a story about a mountain lion attacking a person but it sounded like it was something unusual. Also, I have 2 dogs and I'm a little bit concerned about rattlesnakes. Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilosita View Post
Thanks for your help. Although we both were raised in big cities, we currently live in a very small town in the northern border (no Walmart, no McDonald's, no movie theater - not much happening here), so I'm sure we'll adjust quickly. What about wild life? I heard a story about a mountain lion attacking a person but it sounded like it was something unusual. Also, I have 2 dogs and I'm a little bit concerned about rattlesnakes. Thanks again for your help.

Probably the biggest adjustment will be the difference in the temperature. If you are used to a small town it won't be too bad. Since SC has both a Walmart and McDonalds you will have more than you have now.

We actually have rattlesnake vaccines that they give the pets here so you can get your dogs the shots. I don't recall seeing alot of rattlesnakes in Silver City and we actually lived out in the country when we lived there.

Have you checked housing prices? When we were there before they were pretty expensive but I haven't checked them lately but then I also don't know how they compare to where you live. A couple of years ago my husband got offered a station in Montana but after checking out the housing prices we declined.

Anyway it doesn't sound like it will be to big of a change for you other than the hotter weather and of course your husband will probably work more hours. They get pretty busy in Lordsburg and if the economy picks up they will get really busy again. Good luck to you both, I bet your husband will love the work, they do alittle bit of everything the patrol has to offer there other than jet-skis and boats.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the info. It's great to know that there are vaccines available if needed.
It doesn't seem that renting is too expensive. When we lived in San Diego we had to pay $1200 for a one bedroom apartment. We currently own a house but after that much moving (San Diego to NH and now to NM) I'm not interested in buying again.
I think my husband actually misses being busy but I hope they have enough supervisors to distribute the work.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:53 AM

lilosita, if you had made the move a couple of years ago they may not have had enough supervisors but now they do.

You sound like me in the house buying situation. We owned a house in TX where I am originally from, then moved to Alamogordo, NM and bought a house. We then moved to Silver City for 16 months, he got the PAIC of Carlsbad, NM then they closed that station and we moved back to Alamo. We are presently on a 6 month assignment to DC. After the move to SC I told my husband I wouldn't buy a house again until we were done moving. It is just to much hassle to sell the house when you move.

Renting is not to bad there, when we were there rental properties were pretty hard to come by but now there are more. My hubby thought about putting in for the PAIC of Lordsburg when his boss retired but since we had trouble finding a rental in 2004 when we were there we decided not to. If it is just you and your husband it will be much easier to find an apartment or small house. We were looking for a big house.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 AM

I'm glad that they have more supervisors now. I'm sure that my husband will be very happy to hear that.
Yeah, it's only my husband and I, but we still have to look for a house with a backyard (preferably fenced) for our 2 large dogs. I see a lot of nice houses for rent but not all accept pets. Too bad, because my dogs are very well behaved since they are used to living inside my house (winters here are too cold to leave them outside).
Well, I hope you guys enjoy your stay in DC; my husband is from the area and we go there frequently since all his family is there. If you have any questions about places to go or anything else just let us know, we'd be glad to help.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Yes, finding a house that allows pets maybe hard to do. Seems like more and more less landlords are willing to rent to people with pets. It's to bad that others have ruined it for those of us who are responsible.

Have you thought about maybe living in Lordsburg or even Deming? Some of the agents in Lordsburg actually live in Deming which puts them closer to Las Cruces and just about anything you could want.

In regards to DC trying to get used to being in an apartment and being away from my 2 older kids plus my dogs. Our oldest son lives at home and is taking care of our dogs for us. We are staying in Arlington at the Court House metro and I am from a really small place so traffic has been interesting. However this situation is only for 6 months and then if we come back permanent we will live further out.

When will you guys be moving to NM? Are you excited?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 PM

My husband just formally accepted the job offer today, so I guess we should be there no later than November 1st. We are very excited, still a little bit unsure, just because we have never been in NM before, but then again we had never been in NH before and we enjoyed living here for the most part.
Deming might be a good idea, but it sounds that it's still far from the station and Las Cruces. We are thinking about going on a house hunting trip to try to decide where to live. Maybe even Arizona. Is Las Cruces nice? How far away is Deming from Las Cruces?
I hope you have a good time in the DC area. If you get the chance go to Old Town (Virginia) and Annapolis (Maryland).

Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Deming is 60 miles from Lordsburg but it is all interstate at 70 mph. I am not to sure about Arizona as far as being able to find rentals. Then Deming is 60 miles from Las Cruces. Las Cruces is okay, it has just about everything you could want shopping wise.

Is your husband doing one of the voluntary relocations to the Southwest Border? I think he will really like Lordsburg and the work. My hubby is still in close contact with the guys from Lordsburg and he said right now they are catching alot of drugs.

As far as never having been to NM it is different from the east coast, not alot of trees or green but some of the most beautiful sunsets you will ever see. Probably as far as scenery goes and an area being pretty Silver City was my favorite. I think you will enjoy it and Lordsburg is actually the halfway point between El Paso, TX and Tucson,AZ. If you needed to do expanded shopping or take a flight out either one will work well.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Hi ajzjmsmom,
Do you remember if crime was a problem while you lived in SC? Also I'm a little bit concerned about the brown recluse spiders, especially because of my dogs. Did you ever see one or know somebody that was bitten by one? They seem pretty dangerous and I was wondering if they were a problem in SC.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:48 PM

lilosita,

Petty crime, probably just bored teenagers, but nothing really serious.

As far as brown recluses I have lived in NM for 9 yrs and don't think I have ever seen one. I am from TX and we have them where I am from. You will see centipedes, scorpions, whip scorpions, black widows, and maybe a tarantula or two. We saw lots of deer but we lived about 5 miles outside SC on the way to Lordsburg. I think if you can adjust to the smaller town and mindset of the locals plus your hubby's possible long hours and if he can deal with the commute it is a nice place. If you have anymore questions you can DM if you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico