Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 11:17 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times

Advertisements

09 Rainbow Gathering (sfnf_rainbow) on Twitter
Quote:
As of 6/29, 5,000 participants have arrived to the gathering site.
Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 01:41 PM

7 posts, read 13,386 times
Default Rainbow Gathering

Just got back from a 3-day stay at this. My estimate of the number of people there would be more like 3 to 4,000, as of Monday, 6-29, 5:30 pm.
They're scattered all over the place, for several miles, not compacted into just one area.

But, the Forest Service has sort of "snookered" the Group on parking. They've made the only road into the area One-Way, with many miles of "No Parking" signs along the road -- plus any allowed road parking is only on one side (the south).

So, very little parking accommodations for more people. And, no shuttle buses (since One-Way).

If many more people are coming, it will be extremely difficult to park and get to the trail-head leading down to the Parque Venado meadow, where the Gathering is being held.

Could be a volatile situation -- esp if a lot more people show up, that have maybe been driving for days to get there. [I saw vehicles from just about everywhere in the U.S.]

All-in-all though, I'd have to say this was one of the most interesting events I have ever experienced, in my life (and I've "been around" <g>). Magical.

Some of the kindest, sweetest folks I've seen in many, many years. These truly are the "Flower Children." [Of course, with that many people there are some exceptions. But, I saw absolutely *no* violence, etc, of any kind -- just a lot of laughing, music, good food and hugging.]

And, the trouble and effort they have gone to in putting the infra-structure together, for toilets, water and feeding the crowd (all free), is amazing. I have no doubt that they will do a complete job of restoration after the event.

[BTW, this is the greenest I have *ever* seen the Jemez. It looks like Switzerland (sans the jagged peaks). Didn't see any signs of dead trees, etc.]

Kind Regards,
Robby

Old 06-30-2009, 04:47 PM

7 posts, read 13,386 times
Can't figure out how to Edit my prior post (#212, above). So, here's an Addendum, re the ONE-WAY traffic "parking constraint" issue I mentioned previously:

Msg #211, above (Poncho's/Rich's/Moderator) Twitter report link (from the Santa Fe National Forest Service, I think) contained a link to a pdf map of the Gathering site (from what I could tell, the map is accurate -- tho I would still recommend a topo -- say, if you want to "cross-country" hike, from your parking spot, down to the Gathering site).

And, on that pdf map, it had a left "side-bar" section that said:

"LAW ENFORCEMENT, ADMIN AGENCY PEOPLE, EMS, & SHUTTLE CAN TRAVEL BOTH WAYS."

Can't vouch for the validity of this quoted statement, above (tho it *is* a US Forest Service-generated map, it seems) .

[I never saw a Shuttle, in my 3-days there, nor heard mention of it -- though past Gatherings have used one, I read. And, admittedly, my visit there was before the formal event start date (July 1); so, a Shuttle service may be put in place then.]

But, if they do have a Shuttle, that can travel both ways, this indicates that there is not a "parking constraint" on the number of people that can get to the Gathering.

They can park farther away, down the road, and ride the Shuttle, with all their gear, to the trail-head hike down to the Gathering site (hike down is ~1-mile? about 30-minutes, "unloaded"). Might be a long Shuttle ride, but sure beats the heck out of walking.

So... good (and not so good?), I guess.

Robby

Last edited by RobbyStellarSeed; 06-30-2009 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-30-2009, 05:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyStellarSeed View Post
Can't figure out how to Edit my prior post (#212, above).
Once you save a post you have a limited amount of time to edit it. I believe it is 45 minutes.

Rich

Old 07-01-2009, 08:40 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Fortunately Robbie's second message has a little better outcome than the first, particularly the remark about "a volatile situation". Don't need any of that stuff at all.

Thankfully shuttles are used in this, it makes a lot more sense using them. Don't know who is providing them, though.

Fortunately for travelers, gasoline is a lot cheaper this year than last year, about $1.50 a gallon cheaper. The stations in Cuba, though are a lot higher than outlying towns. I went through there last Tuesday and 85 octane was $2.79 a gallon, as I got gas in Albuquerque for $2.52 a gallon.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
5,000 at the site.. Sadly it only one takes one.. to distroy that part of the forest.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
5,000 at the site.. Sadly it only one takes one.. to distroy that part of the forest.
So....is it your contention that nobody (if one is apparently too many) should be allowed in the Santa Fe National Forest?
I understand your concern about the forest and don't want to diminish it, but your own stretching to find fault is doing exactly that.
Consider this...if one careless camper started a forest fire and fled the scene, there would be noone around to do anything about it until it was a conflagration. If a rainbow attendee started one there'd be 4,999 people there to put it out. This makes just a much sense as your lament above.
Is there any evidence of forest fires or similar things started at these events? (I'm not talking about an outbreak of STD's ) They usually take place in remote spots, often in the arid West. Anything?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
They usually take place in remote spots, often in the arid West. Anything?
And far more often due to lightning than anything else...

Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
These gatherings have been occurring since 1972 on Forest Service land. Can you point to one of those locales that has been "distroyed" due to a Rainbow gathering? I'm not talking about a temporary impact. I would like to see some evidence that one of their gatherings has had a significant effect on a forest over time.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:16 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
So....is it your contention that nobody (if one is apparently too many) should be allowed in the Santa Fe National Forest?
I understand your concern about the forest and don't want to diminish it, but your own stretching to find fault is doing exactly that.
Consider this...if one careless camper started a forest fire and fled the scene, there would be noone around to do anything about it until it was a conflagration. If a rainbow attendee started one there'd be 4,999 people there to put it out. This makes just a much sense as your lament above.
Is there any evidence of forest fires or similar things started at these events? (I'm not talking about an outbreak of STD's ) They usually take place in remote spots, often in the arid West. Anything?
There are proper places to camp, Created by the US Foestry and the BLM..

This is a gathering of 5,000 spread out all over the place... Way different. Obviously.

And what are those 4,999 people gunna put the fire out with? there is no fire truck or firefighters. What are they gunna do throw a bucket of water on it. Believe me fires spread really fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico