Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:47 AM

827 posts, read 5,080,275 times

Advertisements

You are welcome. There is also taas.org to check out. It is an ABQ astronomy organization. Their web site gives you ABQ's clear sky clock and other info. I notice Moriarty is near the fringe of the blue on the map, at their site for night sky lights info. If you move east of Moriarty, you would be getting into the black or best for viewing area. Since you love astronomy though, I would move to Silver City. You can go north of there in the Gila Wilderness and you will never see so many stars as you can see there. It is so beautiful! At least go visit there, if you can. Go up north of Silver City and camp in the Gila Wilderness and you will see what I am talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 08:45 PM

56 posts, read 222,955 times
Moriarty is cheap to live in. Edgewood (just west of it) is growing very fast too. They just got a Smiths & are getting a Walmart (yea...walmart); so you probably wouldnt have to go into ABQ as much. You wouldnt want to commute to ABQ. TRAFFIC IS TERRIBLE!!! There are always accidents on I-40 (the highway to get into ABQ), lots of semi-trucks, & always construction. If you didnt have to commute it would be ideal. The schools arent too bad, for NM schools. NM is a poor state for schools...period. There are a few schools that have $, but those are in the "rich" neighborhoods. Moriarty is quiet and affordable.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Thanks for the information, Crackerjack & bigglynals. The only problem I have with Silver City is that I am a professional musician and need to live near ABQ & SF...I doubt that there are many musical opportunities in Silver City. Maybe I'll just wait until I retire to move. I'm sorry to hear that the commute from Moriarty to ABQ is so terrible; I probably wouldn't need to do it during rush hour very often, if that helps.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:24 AM

Bigglynals is right. Moriarty is an inexpensive place to live and the drive to ABQ is riddled with traffic, traffic cones, concrete barriers and or accidents. It has always been that way. It seems like there is constant construction going on through the corridor, like some sort of twilght zone, where the construction never ends! Since you are a musician, you can probably get work at night, which would be best, since traffic is lighter and there isn't so much going on through there.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I'm used to that (although I still don't like it)...Fort Worth-Dallas is one big construction zone and has been all year. I wonder why the road construction is so constant on I-40 between Moriarty and Albuquerque. I was there in 2003 and don't remember it being much of an impediment. Maybe I was lucky.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:49 AM

I thought it fitting to post here on the Moriarty post, having lived there, to let others know this will be one of my last posts. I put a recipe post on the NM recipes thread too. I am going to ABQ for a couple of months to house sit for a friend who has three dogs and two cats, a houseful I know! He has no computers and I don't care. I will be outdoors anyway as often as possible. That is the nice thing about NM - the great outdoors! Afterward, I am going to move to Durango, so I am taking the plunge! I chose Durango, for one, it is near the NM border, so I can hop over and be in NM in a few minutes, yeah! Second, my family members are there or are moving there. Third, I love the mountains. Fourth, I love music, art, a vibrant downtown and Durango has all those, plus I can go up to the resorts and ski. So for me, Durango is the place. I hope I have helped people with their questions on NM and all I know about the wonderful state of NM. NM is it's own unique character. You can't fit it into another category with the other states. NM is giant vistas and sun glowing valleys. Dynamic sunsets that casts shadows upon the jagged hills and twisted pinons. The sagebrush, the cactus, the pines. Snow capped mountains and hot desert floors. NM has it all. It is a great state. At least I think so. New Mexico will always have a special place in my heart. Thanks to all of my cyber friends on letting me remember New Mexico and what makes it so special!

Last edited by Crackerjack; 11-30-2006 at 03:12 AM..

Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Crackerjack ~~

Oh my. I am so personally sorry to hear the news that you will be gone from this forum. You have been one of my favorite posters here, and I have enjoyed all the good information in your posts. I for one am going to miss you a lot.

HOWEVER ... I know you are glad to be moving back to the New Mexico area, even if you end up over the state line in CO.

Do you foresee your computer-free time will be permanent .... or at some point when you get settled in Durango will you maybe be able to get back on line and return here to post again?

Whatever turns out, Vaya con Dios!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
CJ:

I second what Towanda said! You will be sorely missed.

BUT....how exciting for you!!! I'm not sure that I could do without internet....I would have to haul my lap along and get a temporary dialup connection at the outside, LOL!!!

I am green with envy.....but wish you the very best, and hope that you do check back in when you are settled in!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 04:06 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,269 times
Thanks CJ for all your informative post.

Here is a nice NM sunset to see you off.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:16 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Here is a nice NM sunset to see you off.

Stunning!! Thanks for sharing it with us, YB!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico