Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Steve...i'm curious when different families or species of scorpions happen upon each other do they fight or avoid each other. I did see a show once on Nature (pbs) about desert creaures as it showed a tarantula vs a scorpion as it was a stalemate as the tarantula used its fron legs/arms to hold the stinger off of it. Then several desert mice/rodents immune to the scorpions sting attacked and killed the scorpion then they went after the tarantula but it spiked them with is hair on its legs and they left it alone. Cool stuff !!
If two different species ran across each other (that werent trying to mate), theyd probably fight. Scorpions are highly cannibalistic, often eating siblings, and its very common for the mother to also eat her young.

Scorpions often eat small tarantulas, Ive seen it in person in AZ, neat stuff. As for the tarantulas, they dont spike their prey, per se, but they do have urticating hairs that they kick off of their abdomens. These often imbed themselves in the eyes/nose/throat of a would-be attacker, leaving them in burning pain. Only new world species possess this trait, old world species do not have hairs they can kick off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 PM

5 posts, read 30,987 times
Default Found Scorpion

On March 22, 2009 my father found a dead scorpion at his job. He works at a coal mine in the middle of New Mexico and he has never seen one like this. He said he found it on the steps of the main office building. It is very dark in color and about 6 inches long. I have looked up as much information I can about it but I am still not sure where it could have come from. I would like to know everything about it and possibly where it might have come from. My father said it could have come in on a coal train but not sure what do you think? I am a teacher at a local school and I have let everyone see it and everyone is amazed at the size and color. There is no one around who has seen one like this. Please help me if you can!

I am going to try and send a pic of it if I can.
What kind of venomous insects/animals to look out for-scorpion.jpg

Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 PM

464 posts, read 1,156,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Teach View Post
On March 22, 2009 my father found a dead scorpion at his job. He works at a coal mine in the middle of New Mexico and he has never seen one like this. He said he found it on the steps of the main office building. It is very dark in color and about 6 inches long. I have looked up as much information I can about it but I am still not sure where it could have come from. I would like to know everything about it and possibly where it might have come from. My father said it could have come in on a coal train but not sure what do you think? I am a teacher at a local school and I have let everyone see it and everyone is amazed at the size and color. There is no one around who has seen one like this. Please help me if you can!

Attachment 38512

I'm no expert but that looks alot like one of the ones in some of the photos above. At least you didn't say you found it in a banana bunch (just kiddin') (referring to the South American spider found in a produce aisle in Oklahoma last week)
I'm sure someone will help indentify it for you soon here

And Welcome!

Tia Dalma

Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
I'm no expert but that looks alot like one of the ones in some of the photos above. At least you didn't say you found it in a banana bunch (just kiddin') (referring to the South American spider found in a produce aisle in Oklahoma last week)

And Welcome!

Tia Dalma
I believe we'll probably see everybodies favorite ........Steve-O appear soon .

Old 03-23-2009, 02:19 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:

Attachment 38512

Wow, this looks like the scorpions my mom and Dad have in S Texas. I don't think I have ever seen one that big in NM or that color.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:40 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Default RE: bites/stings etc...

My experience(overf 20 yrs as a medic and in an ER) INFECTION is a biggy.
Always have a physician/ER check you out...clean the wound very were with hot soapy water and get to an ER. You might need antibiotics etc, get blood work done and your health history/age/ and other factors are very important re: your outcome...
Cat bites even can be very bad as well as dog bites. Also cactus punctures etc can be just as bad as any other bite, sting etc.

Also the bees...all kinds an be aware of anaphylactic shock....you might consider carrying a epi pen...etc. talk to your doc about it.

Just some hints ideas etc..

Happy trails,

HW

Old 03-23-2009, 04:06 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
My experience(overf 20 yrs as a medic and in an ER) INFECTION is a biggy.
Always have a physician/ER check you out...clean the wound very were with hot soapy water and get to an ER. You might need antibiotics etc, get blood work done and your health history/age/ and other factors are very important re: your outcome...
Cat bites even can be very bad as well as dog bites. Also cactus punctures etc can be just as bad as any other bite, sting etc.

Also the bees...all kinds an be aware of anaphylactic shock....you might consider carrying a epi pen...etc. talk to your doc about it.

Just some hints ideas etc..

Happy trails,

HW
You didn't mention one of the most dangerous bites of all, Hunter -- human bites.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:05 PM

405 posts, read 1,334,897 times
Wow! See what my break from city-data resulted in? FINALLY..in interesting new thread and my two favorite bloggers...blogging away! Welcome back me! Now.. we must identify that scoprion!

Steve-o: I love the pic of the snake eating the pinky.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:

Attachment 38512
that was someone's pet, definitely not a native.
pandinus, probably.

they look terrifying, but basically harmless. safer to handle than your average gerbil or hamster, imho.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
(referring to the South American spider found in a produce aisle in Oklahoma last week)
hey, i saw that too! my buddy rick got a mention by the AP:

Banana Spider Found in Tulsa Store Now Thought to Be a Huntsman Spider - Associated Content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico