Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,038,439 times

Advertisements

Hi seemsadream!

Ahhh.....a person after my own heart ... someone who is dreaming of New Mexico. I think New Mexico is a place where dreams can come true.

I can't really speak to other parts of the state, although, the entire state is wonderful .. but in many different ways.

I can only respond to your interest in Santa Fe, and tell you that if you want to make your dream come true here, you can do it.

There is a sometimes inflated perception out there that Santa Fe is unaffordable, and I can tell you that isn't entirely true. Cost of homes - yes, water rates - yes, gasoline - higher than many other places, but certainly lower than many other parts of the United States. (We are currently paying $2.59/gallon here.) And for one who chooses to live in the economy of the Plaza area, yes, then the city could be considered expensive.

My belief if that you plan your budget about what is important to you personally. If living in Santa Fe is your dream, but you must live on a strict budget, then you can do it. We saved for many years to be able to purchase a nice home here, and we did without a lot of luxuries outher people felt were necessary (we still do.) But once we had our home here, the other expenses are really not that much greater than what we paid in other places. (I cannot speak to rental prices; I have no knowledge of that...)

We live a very frugal life in Santa Fe; we don't shop on the Plaza (ever!) .. we shop at WalMart and Target and Kohl's and Sam's Club and any grocery we can find with the lowest prices and best bargains. We get our gas at Sam's or at Smith's grocery which gives a discount based on your grocery bill. We don't eat at the expensive restaurants downtown; there are many excellent affordable restaurants in Santa Fe.

The payoff for living on a strict budget means that we get to live in one of the most beautiful and interesting and scenic and culturally interesting and vibrant cities in the country. We have fresh clean air and a moderate climate (some warm days in summer and some snow in winter but nothing like you have in the part of the country where you are now...and our humidity is low). We have a casual, comfortable, relaxed, pleasant lifestyle and we have gorgeous mountain views. And incredible views of the stars at night.

Downsides? In my opinion, I really can't find any. Whenever we travel to other parts of the country, I can hardly wait to return "home" to Santa Fe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,959,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Hi seemsadream!

Ahhh.....a person after my own heart ... someone who is dreaming of New Mexico. I think New Mexico is a place where dreams can come true.

I can't really speak to other parts of the state, although, the entire state is wonderful .. but in many different ways.

I can only respond to your interest in Santa Fe, and tell you that if you want to make your dream come true here, you can do it.

There is a sometimes inflated perception out there that Santa Fe is unaffordable, and I can tell you that isn't entirely true. Cost of homes - yes, water rates - yes, gasoline - higher than many other places, but certainly lower than many other parts of the United States. (We are currently paying $2.59/gallon here.) And for one who chooses to live in the economy of the Plaza area, yes, then the city could be considered expensive.

My belief if that you plan your budget about what is important to you personally. If living in Santa Fe is your dream, but you must live on a strict budget, then you can do it. We saved for many years to be able to purchase a nice home here, and we did without a lot of luxuries outher people felt were necessary (we still do.) But once we had our home here, the other expenses are really not that much greater than what we paid in other places. (I cannot speak to rental prices; I have no knowledge of that...)

We live a very frugal life in Santa Fe; we don't shop on the Plaza (ever!) .. we shop at WalMart and Target and Kohl's and Sam's Club and any grocery we can find with the lowest prices and best bargains. We get our gas at Sam's or at Smith's grocery which gives a discount based on your grocery bill. We don't eat at the expensive restaurants downtown; there are many excellent affordable restaurants in Santa Fe.

The payoff for living on a strict budget means that we get to live in one of the most beautiful and interesting and scenic and culturally interesting and vibrant cities in the country. We have fresh clean air and a moderate climate (some warm days in summer and some snow in winter but nothing like you have in the part of the country where you are now...and our humidity is low). We have a casual, comfortable, relaxed, pleasant lifestyle and we have gorgeous mountain views. And incredible views of the stars at night.

Downsides? In my opinion, I really can't find any. Whenever we travel to other parts of the country, I can hardly wait to return "home" to Santa Fe.
Towanda, tell us exactly how you feel!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:16 PM

70 posts, read 288,314 times
How about someone just offer me a great job and low rent housing somewhere and make my decision easier! [/quote]

Mentioned your post to my wife today at lunch. She said that she may have an opening coming up for a child/adolescent counselor at the clinic here at Alamo Navajo Reservation,NM. The reservation also has housing for staff at very affordable rates. If o.k. to contact, Pat will send private message this evening or tomorrow.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:54 PM

13 posts, read 23,504 times
Wow...what a great offer mikereznm! It sounds very much like work I am experienced in. I'm dying to go NOW! Unfortunately I am locked in here in Cleveland until July of next year, my obligations having not quite expired yet. Thank you for the nod though and please keep me in mind...you never know what a year can bring.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:15 AM

13 posts, read 23,504 times
Well I think I'm now leaning more towards ABQ. The flights to and from where all my family lives is more doable. The weather seems like it might agree with me better. The employment opportunities seem somewhat better and the pay rate and housing is not that different from where I am now. It's a bigger city than I wanted to live in (but smaller that where I am now) but it might be the best place to start. I can easily get to Santa Fe and better keep an eye out for opportunities there. All the talk about crime in ABQ doesn't worry me so much, I currently live in Cleveland, Ohio and moved there from Philadelphia. I have enough street smarts to know not to walk into trouble.

I still have my eye on Silver City though. It seems exactly the place I might want to hang my hat when I am closer to a time/age when I can relax and enjoy my surroundings more than have to work for them.

Thank you all for your help. I will read the Albuquerque forum some more before coming back with any questions and recommendations.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:51 PM

18 posts, read 37,099 times
Smile Re Does NM want you?

You might really like Truth or Consequences. I needed to escape the humidity, too, and overall, I really like the weather here! No place is perfect, but you never have to shovel snow yet it rarely gets over 95 degrees in the summer. And with only 17% humidity that feels cooler than 80 degrees with 40% humidity!

Although a small town, there is always something going on here, if you choose to get involved. Community Theater, monthly Art Hop, Fiesta, Lumeniaria, rodeos, fiddling competitions, gallery openings, etc. There is a burgeoning arts scene and lots of gays in the woodworks, so there is a very liberal side to this ostenstibly conservative town, and more liberals are moving here all the time. Two lakes nearby, 10 hot springs bath houses, and a river runs through it! Nice walking town.

Job? Depends on your skillset but Spaceport America is being built right now.

I moved here almost 4 years ago and don't regret it. Didn't know a soul here, just like you. Middle aged woman (uggh, hate that! : ). Lots of single women here, so you can feel comfortable going anywhere solo.

Hope this helps; I say check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemsadream View Post
So I'm not looking to make any major changes until summer 2010, which is good because I have no idea where I'm going yet!

First thing is I am a single middle-aged woman who's family is all in PA and OH (which is where I currently am). I am ready to pick up and begin a new life and have no fears of doing so alone. But there are some things I am in need of, or at least am hoping for:

I absolutely need to get out of the humid climate! As the years go on the humidity bothers me more and more. The dry heat is tolerable as long as it isn't scorching. Also I am a bit of a tree hugger so a more liberal area would suit me better. I like being fairly close to an area that offers cultural events and happenings but certainly don't wish to live among the hustle-bustle of a large city. I also don't require a lot of space between my four walls but prefer to not live in an apartment setting. Renting would be ideal the first year, so affordable rental property would be helpful.

Unfortunately I have to work (haha) so a decent job market with cost of living is comparable to the housing costs.

I have been leaning towards New Mexico with Santa Fe being ideal but not really affordable. Or ABQ which would have more to offer I think. Although I have visited a time or two I don't know much else of the state.

Do I sound like a dreamer? I guess in some ways I am. But I have spent most of my life taking care of others and now it's my turn. Why can't I have it all?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico