Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 01:51 PM

7 posts, read 10,439 times

Advertisements

I'm in my second. In my opinion , the only type of home to have in New Mexico. And the homes themselves are a part of the real New Mexico.
I love a crumbling adobe casita that is in dire need of repair, as much as I do the modern solar homes.
As a young Hippie I built my dream solar Adobe in the mountains with my wife as a helper.
As an old man returning to the desert in New Mexico, an adobe was the only house I would buy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 09:34 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,477 times
I live in a straw bale house.

If I had it to do over, I would build with structural insulating panels.

Adobe is nice though, a friend of mine built one of those.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:19 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Can old and crumbling adobes be repaired? I mean without basically starting over.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:01 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,294,072 times
I've seen it done. Support the walls, replace the bricks. Its probably a job best left to professionals who know what they are doing.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:37 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
I wish. Stick built houses are at the mercy of the heat.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:39 AM

I thought about a straw bale. in the early 90's went to all of the alternative housing seminars I could. I almost built a tire house. But adobe was timeless.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:16 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
What were your experiences building and maintaining your adobe house in the mountains?

I've been looking at alternative building for awhile... never built anything though. Whenever I get down to the nitty gritty, it seems that cob, adobe, rammed earth, strawbale, even tire houses are a lot of work. If you live someplace where it gets cold (which most of NM does in winter) then you need thick walls if you want it to be efficient. Which is why they cost a lot if you pay someone to do it. And the surfaces need maintenance now and then... compared to stone or concrete which I think I'd favor... but then those need to be double wall with insulation.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 AM

Well--all of them are hard work--and what do you want to end up with?, a charming hobbit Hole that you own forever,
or something that is desireable if you decide to sell. when I built my adobe I was in the prime of my health, and knew nothing of the problems involved in working on undeveloped ground. But I ended up with a total solar heated home, that at 7400 ft only used 2 cords of wood all winter long. Back then 10K would go a long ways on building materials, now LOL.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,062,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Can old and crumbling adobes be repaired? I mean without basically starting over.
Yes they can. My home in Old Town Albuquerque is a 100+ year old adobe. We completely remodeled it 5 years ago. Everything was gutted except for the walls. We reinforced the walls, repaired and furred out the walls to accommodate new electrical and plumbing. My FIL whom I am a partner with in a construction company has been repairing adobe homes for 40 years. As someone stated, best left to the experts. But it can be done.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
What were your experiences building and maintaining your adobe house in the mountains?

I've been looking at alternative building for awhile... never built anything though. Whenever I get down to the nitty gritty, it seems that cob, adobe, rammed earth, strawbale, even tire houses are a lot of work. If you live someplace where it gets cold (which most of NM does in winter) then you need thick walls if you want it to be efficient. Which is why they cost a lot if you pay someone to do it. And the surfaces need maintenance now and then... compared to stone or concrete which I think I'd favor... but then those need to be double wall with insulation.
None of those techniques are a good idea if you are going to pay someone to do it, most alternative methods work best when the builder is the owner.

Wall surface maintenance is minimal if you learn to use lime plaster instead of conventional portland cement stucco.

Stone is a pain because state CID makes you get engineering for the wall. Single oldest way of building anything, and they want engineering Build the same wall out of cinder block and you need no engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico