Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:36 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,752,039 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Fairfax County when there were fox in the yard, hummingbirds
in the flowers, salamanders in the creeks and kids played everywhere.

Over half a century I saw NoVa change into what it is now and while I do miss
certain very specific things, I don't miss 'em enough to ever want to go back.

If Krispy Kreme reenters the New Mexico marketplace, I'll be satisfied...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,908,105 times
I keep my fingers crossed my husband won't get picked for a staff job up there. Luckily for us it would more likely be at Langley which is not as crazy and expensive, but still crowded.

I am from the Northeast and I am used to the culture, but I truly do enjoy how much more laid back it is out here.

I am sure you will find things you like about there. It is a neat place to live. It is a tough culture adjustment. I went the other direction, and I assure you, moving to NM and learning to slow down and be friendly is easier than the other way around.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,283,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I grew up in Fairfax County when there were fox in the yard, hummingbirds
in the flowers, salamanders in the creeks and kids played everywhere.

Over half a century I saw NoVa change into what it is now and while I do miss
certain very specific things, I don't miss 'em enough to ever want to go back.

If Krispy Kreme reenters the New Mexico marketplace, I'll be satisfied...

I don't think I could live in Fairfax County, the majority of the posters who have hateful things to say or who harp on having more money makes one smarter lives in Fairfax County. I am sure the whole county isn't like that but it doesn't feel like it would be a good fit for our family.

You know I haven't seen any Kristy Kreme's here but did find a Duncan Donuts. Maybe I am not looking in the right places.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 AM

On the upside I just stepped outside for the first time today and for the first time since we got here I didn't get slapped in the face by stiffling humidity.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,752,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I don't think I could live in Fairfax County, the majority of the posters who have hateful things to say or who harp on having more money makes one smarter lives in Fairfax County.
One thing to keep in mind is that the people who DO have money, who DO have
status, who DO have an upscale life are the least likely to be trying to impress
anonymous people online. Not that there aren't plenty of social climbing wannabees
in NoVa, but what you are seeing is not the norm.

You absolutely can not judge any community by what is said in online chat groups.
You can certainly judge *individuals*, but not whole communities.

Still, there is no doubt that NoVa is very taken with itself, insular and not
very hospitable to newcomers.

As for Krispy Kremes, there seems to be a lot fewer of them but here are some..

Alexandria (this is the one I haunted as a kid)
6328 Richmond Hwy

Washington
1350 Connecticut Ave, NW

Rockville
14919 Shady Grove Road

Columbia
8630 Snowden River Parkway

Fredricksburg
1891 Carl D. Silver Parkway

Old 08-31-2009, 09:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The prices were a shocker for sure. Made TX look cheap by comparison.

That area in VA is also probably one of the most expensive nationwide, near the top! Beautiful, beautiful place, but the oppressive humidity nearly killed me.
Humidity? I remember one morning I was trying to clean house, it was early Sept (about this time of the year) and only 9am. I had to stop vacuming and I had the air on. Of course we eventually moved to Dallas: that is when I decided the humidity in VA wasn't so bad.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
On the upside I just stepped outside for the first time today and for the first time since we got here I didn't get slapped in the face by stiffling humidity.
WEll that is a start. I am sure if you had your own world with you, you would feel a little better. As for Fairfax county, there are lots of places to live where people aren't as affected as you are finding. Yes, there are a few and I will not go into detail as I don't want to insult anyone or any vocation, but there was a praticular group (usually the wives) that could be real pains. Actually there were 2 groups that were outright obnoxious (spelling)

One thing that helped us: we were in DC as political appointees (I will leave it at that for now) anyway because of that we had many friends or certainly associates in the area as well, so we had built in friends. You may want to look into joining a new comers club. That can be a life saver. We are still in contact with many we met through New Comers. Get involved in your political party or church even if you only have a few months. That will also help. Just making one or two friends can help. One thing we loved to do and it might sound silly: we would go to Georgetown for lunch, then wander through the antique shops. All the old silver, china, crystal etc was fun to look at. Of course there are so many other things as well. I don't know exactly where you are living, but old town Alexandria is another wonderful place to spend a few hours. This is just for starters.

Nita

Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Humidity? I remember one morning I was trying to clean house, it was early Sept (about this time of the year) and only 9am. I had to stop vacuming and I had the air on. Of course we eventually moved to Dallas: that is when I decided the humidity in VA wasn't so bad.
LOL!! They're both bad to me, but then I am a born-and-bred semi-arid/desert rat from birth! Where I grew up is now more humid than in the 1950s-60s because of Lake Amistad and other water that is now present!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!! They're both bad to me, but then I am a born-and-bred semi-arid/desert rat from birth! Where I grew up is now more humid than in the 1950s-60s because of Lake Amistad and other water that is now present!

Sounds perhaps you grew up in my neck of the woods if Lake Amistad is any indication. It is so much more humid in that area, my Mom said 2 wks ago with the heat index it was 114. Thank you no, for me here in NOVA it is just getting used to the humidity again once I can accomplish that weather wise I will be okay.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:34 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,349,683 times
I lived in DC back in the late 80's for about 6 months and was paying 450.00 for a 1 BR apt. I thought that was totally outrageous but the people that lived around me thought that was normal. Geez, I was in Va. paying 150.00 for a 1 BR before that.
I was in my 20's at the time and the majority of people in my apt. complex were in there 20's - 30's. It was one big party every night but it got old and I wanted to go back to Lynchburg, Va. so I ended up doing that.
Even though I didn't make as much money, I came to realize that it didn't matter if I wasn't where I wanted to be.
All people when they get to a certain age are way too uptight and self absorbed and this is why the people you're running into are so unfriendly.
It's a good place to be in your 20's and 30's but after that, boring.
What I thought was interesting in driving around was being in a nice neighborhood and then a block later, the ghetto and so on going through the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico