Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
All people when they get to a certain age are way too uptight and self absorbed and this is why the people you're running into are so unfriendly.
Ouch! Not ALL of us. Although perhaps my responding to this means that I am. Never mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Sounds perhaps you grew up in my neck of the woods if Lake Amistad is any indication. It is so much more humid in that area, my Mom said 2 wks ago with the heat index it was 114. Thank you no, for me here in NOVA it is just getting used to the humidity again once I can accomplish that weather wise I will be okay.
We were 120 miles from Del Rio, and roughly 180 miles from you so not quite, but close. It was MUCH less humid when I was a kid.....and now that I've been back there from here, it feels a lot MORE humid.

But that part of West Texas has also had more than the normal rainfall--and is very green right now. Contrast that to Central Texas/Austin, which is burning up dry.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:06 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,281,522 times
Quote:
I lived in DC back in the late 80's for about 6 months and was paying 450.00 for a 1 BR apt. I thought that was totally outrageous but the people that lived around me thought that was normal. Geez, I was in Va. paying 150.00 for a 1 BR before that.
I was in my 20's at the time and the majority of people in my apt. complex were in there 20's - 30's. It was one big party every night but it got old and I wanted to go back to Lynchburg, Va. so I ended up doing that.
Even though I didn't make as much money, I came to realize that it didn't matter if I wasn't where I wanted to be.
All people when they get to a certain age are way too uptight and self absorbed and this is why the people you're running into are so unfriendly.
It's a good place to be in your 20's and 30's but after that, boring.
What I thought was interesting in driving around was being in a nice neighborhood and then a block later, the ghetto and so on going through the neighborhoods.
You would have a heart attack if you had to pay what the people in our building are paying, according to the website for a one bd they pay between $1645-2015. Of course we can walk to the Courthouse metro station so you have the convinence of being so close to DC. We noticed the neighborhoods and differences too.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:35 PM

147 posts, read 390,668 times
I wouldn't exactly call NM the friendliest place in the world by any means!!

Old 08-31-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
I wouldn't exactly call NM the friendliest place in the world by any means!!
I didn't think anyone said it was the friendliest place in the world, I said it was friendlier than the part of NOVA I am staying in.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
I lived in DC back in the late 80's for about 6 months and was paying 450.00 for a 1 BR apt. I thought that was totally outrageous but the people that lived around me thought that was normal. Geez, I was in Va. paying 150.00 for a 1 BR before that.
I was in my 20's at the time and the majority of people in my apt. complex were in there 20's - 30's. It was one big party every night but it got old and I wanted to go back to Lynchburg, Va. so I ended up doing that.
Even though I didn't make as much money, I came to realize that it didn't matter if I wasn't where I wanted to be.
It's a good place to be in your 20's and 30's but after that, boring.
What I thought was interesting in driving around was being in a nice neighborhood and then a block later, the ghetto and so on going through the neighborhoods.
what do you mean, at a certain age people are way to up tight?? That is a strange comment, please explain.

As for friendly as in NM or NOVA. the two friendliest places we have lived (neighborhood wise) have been those two. Here people are very friendly but we live in a pretty rutal area so even our sub division has 2, 3 or 4 lots between houses. In VA we had block parties for almost everything from celebrating the first Redskins game, to celebrating the holidays, the first snow, the superbowl or the first day of spring. We had the same thing in NM. It depends on where you live.

Nita

Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,345,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Ouch! Not ALL of us. Although perhaps my responding to this means that I am. Never mind...
What I mean is, when people are younger, they are less uptight, more carefree, less responsible in a lot of ways and then we grow up, go to work, pay the bills, become more involved with family/kids/grandkids and don't really give a sh** about anyone else as far as being friendly goes.

It's not a bad thing but not really a good thing either. Sometimes I wish I was more carefree like I was in my 20's. It would make things alot easier at times.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what do you mean, at a certain age people are way to up tight?? That is a strange comment, please explain.

As for friendly as in NM or NOVA. the two friendliest places we have lived (neighborhood wise) have been those two. Here people are very friendly but we live in a pretty rutal area so even our sub division has 2, 3 or 4 lots between houses. In VA we had block parties for almost everything from celebrating the first Redskins game, to celebrating the holidays, the first snow, the superbowl or the first day of spring. We had the same thing in NM. It depends on where you live.

Nita
I don't understand why it's such a strange comment. Look at yourself and most of the people you know over the ages of 30-35 and if you look at the situation truthfully and realistically, you'll know what I'm saying.
Like I said in the post to Catman, it's not a bad thing, it just happens. Life happens and most are more hung up on family and jobs than they are about other people.
I thought some of the friendliest people I've met in my 50 years was in the DC area but I was younger then.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
You would have a heart attack if you had to pay what the people in our building are paying, according to the website for a one bd they pay between $1645-2015. Of course we can walk to the Courthouse metro station so you have the convinence of being so close to DC. We noticed the neighborhoods and differences too.
You're right, I'm having a heart attack now. That's over double my mortgage here.
Hope you all get back to NM

Old 08-31-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why it's such a strange comment. Look at yourself and most of the people you know over the ages of 30-35 and if you look at the situation truthfully and realistically, you'll know what I'm saying.
Like I said in the post to Catman, it's not a bad thing, it just happens. Life happens and most are more hung up on family and jobs than they are about other people.
I thought some of the friendliest people I've met in my 50 years was in the DC area but I was younger then.

I totally agree with you. I don't know why it bugs me that people here are not as friendly as they are in Alamo since hubby and I are all about family and what is going on in our kids lives. Pretty much takes up all of our available time. We don't do awhole lot of socializing with anyone outside our house. As young adults we both had friends that we socialized with on a weekly basis but as we started a family other things got more important. Somehow coming home at 2 a.m. drunk and then having to wake up at 7 and deal with kids lost it's appeal.

I guess it is just the friendliness overall at least in Alamo, people actually make eye contact, they speak to you or at least nod at you. Not that there isn't that faction in Alamo that can't be bothered. Here everyone is in such a hurry it seems like they can't be bothered. Like I said in an earlier post, things may be totally different if we were out in the suburbs. We are definately burb people and that seems to work better for us, somewhere it is more family oriented. That would be the reason we had already decided if we come back to DC for a job we would live out beyond the beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico