Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:50 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,311,099 times

Advertisements

The worst thing about aging is losing sight and memory. I've driven in and out of the mountains from Texas to Las Cruces many times. Hobbs, White Sands, Cloudcroft, Rosewell, Albuquerque, Portales, Elephant Butte, Hatch, etc., I still do not know the names of the mountain ranges or where they are located. Unfortunately my map is not too accurate. I"ve never been treated rudely anywhere in New Mexico by any resident save once.

Mother died in Dona Ana County. The banker did not chose to follow federal or state laws, nor did she wish to follow a direct court order. After the third phone call in as many hours to the judge, the full force of the law was applied to the banker through the regional bank manager. I do not know what was said, but the banker was suddenly all too happy to comply with my request without further delay. One unhappy event out of the twenty years I visited NM for extended stays, is not a bad record by any means. .The banker got the reward she richly deserved. Actually she deserved to be demoted as an object if for no other reason

Thank you for the newspaper link. Teen suicide is sad when it affects a small tightly knit community. However, the story of the foot ball team was one of the most entertaining I've read in years. This newspaper is one of the few nationwide that is actually worth the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:32 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,013,900 times
This has been a fascinating thread! I am half Blackfoot/ half Lumbee and all American. Never cared much what people called me...as long as I knew it wasn't a deliberate slight or insult. Many Canadian indigenous descendants call themselves First Nation. I like that... America was named for an Italian, Amerigo Vespucci, and Indian is for Columbus thinking he had reached India, so neither gets to the heart of what the actual LAND is about. IMO, if you were born on the continent (North or South America) you're technically a native. But we've learned that race is purely a social construct. Ethnicity and culture are real...race is not, scientifically speaking. (Only if you believe in mitochondrial DNA).

Just my $0.02.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,359,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
This has been a fascinating thread! I am half Blackfoot/ half Lumbee and all American. Never cared much what people called me...as long as I knew it wasn't a deliberate slight or insult. Many Canadian indigenous descendants call themselves First Nation. I like that... America was named for an Italian, Amerigo Vespucci, and Indian is for Columbus thinking he had reached India, so neither gets to the heart of what the actual LAND is about. IMO, if you were born on the continent (North or South America) you're technically a native. But we've learned that race is purely a social construct. Ethnicity and culture are real...race is not, scientifically speaking. (Only if you believe in mitochondrial DNA).

Just my $0.02.
Great post.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,214,729 times
I agree, it is a great post!

Old 09-21-2009, 05:05 PM

18,245 posts, read 25,906,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I agree, it is a great post!
Yep, solid comments!

Old 09-25-2009, 05:00 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,254,313 times
Happy Native American Day!

The fourth Friday in September is Native American Day.

This year it is Friday September 25th.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,214,729 times
What does the 25th of September have to do with Native American history, if anything? Just wondering why that day was selected.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,254,313 times
I have no idea of the significance of the date and neither does my wife who is Native American. She says as long as it not Columbus Day it doesn't matter to her. When she was growing up they were not allowed to celebrate Columbus day. Her dad would not allow it.

She didn't realize it was Native American day until she tried to place a phone call to her nation and no one answered the phone and message on the answering machine told her that they were celebrating Native American day. She was mad that she went to work as they can chose some of their own holidays to take off. She completely forgot about it.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:53 AM

170 posts, read 649,270 times
I think it's kind of lame that there's national African American month, and Latino American heritage month, and then there's Native American Day. Why do we even celebrate Columbus day anyhow?

Old 09-26-2009, 06:48 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,922,114 times
Quote:
6/26/2009--Public Law. (This measure has not been amended since it was passed by the House on June 2, 2009. The summary of that version is repeated here.) Native American Heritage Day Act of 2009 - Makes specified findings, including that the Friday immediately succeeding Thanksgiving Day of each year would be an appropriate day to designate as Native American Heritage Day. Encourages the people of the United States, as well as federal, state, and local governments and interested groups and organizations, to honor Native Americans with appropriate activities to observe Native American Heritage Day, including regarding: (1) the historical status of Native American tribal governments and the present day status of Native Americans; (2) Native American cultures, traditions, and languages; and (3) the rich Native American cultural legacy that all Americans enjoy today.
More information on the recently passed resolution here:

NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE DAY

Apparently this "holiday" was formerly officially recognized only in California (4th FRIDAY in September) and in South Dakota (2nd MONDAY in October).

Here is my reference, which only mentions that the SD initiative originally intended to rename Columbus Day:

Native American Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ronald Reagen - as Gov. of Ca. - proposed the term "American Indian Day." Apparently that was changed to the more P.C. "Native American Day" before adoption by the CA legislature.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico