Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 11:51 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,167 times

Advertisements

While I realize it's a bit of a haul for most (heck, i'm in Moriarty and work in Estancia and it's a bit of a haul for us )....

If you want to buy some great apples at a good price, Manzano Mountain Retreat is the place to do it. We took a trip there Saturday after the Pinto Bean Festival and it was awesome. They had several dozen types of apples available, with wooden signs on the wall announcing projected upcoming harvest dates. The shop is housed in a rustic wooden building, with bushels of loose apples for choosing or you can buy a 10 lb pre-made bag. Each apple has two signs over them- announcing the name, useage and characteristics. Not to mention the baskets of small apples in every type available for sampling before you buy. They also sell amazing apple cider- it's frozen so it'll make it back to town. Free samples are offered and we were told that when you sample a cider you like, you should buy it then- no two batches are the same as the contributing apples change with the harvest.
My * I don't eat fruit* husband had four before we made it back home. Food this fresh really makes you realize what it loses in the long haul to the grocery store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
So exactly where is it located?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:09 PM

Corporate Retreats, Group Facility, and Family Reunions - Manzano Mountain Retreat

I'm surf-blocked at work, but the directions are on the website. :0)

Old 10-13-2009, 05:26 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,316 times
The map for the location is here:

MAP SITE

Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 AM

Thanks, y'all! I love that road. It's great to cruise down on a motorcycle. It seems to be in a different universe than Albuquerque.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:47 PM

Ya got that right, Catman. We hardy even go into Abq (gotta do it this weekend- my oldest turns 17 on the 20th and we have to go gift shopping at the boot barn :0) and refer to it as *the city*. Moriarty is *town*, Albuquerque is *city* and Edgewood and Santa Fe are just called by name.

Your *thanks y'all* reminded me of a conversation the state electrical inspector and I were having. He's a Texan and i'm from Tennessee so we were peppering our conversation with things like: y'all, all y'all, bull (boil) oul (oil) and various southern pronounciations of words that get us smiled or laughed WITH here :-)

Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM

I can believe that! ;-)

How are the winters in Moriarty from your perspective, and is it a pain to get into Albuquerque from there?

Old 10-15-2009, 05:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I am struck with the surprising similarity between New Mexico and parts of New Hampshire. We have a couple of farm stands (Mack’s Apples, in business since 1670) selling many varieties of heirloom apples, endless numbers of pumpkins and other produce in season. A neighbor sells really fresh eggs and there is a small bakery that bakes sinfully good cinnamon raisin bread.

I have read about the Dixon orchards and now the Manzano orchards. I have purchased fruit jellies and jams in the Hondo valley and some honey from Rodeo.

Wintering in Socorro is looking better and better considering it was 27 deg on my deck this morning.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:17 PM

Let me get back to ya on that in a few months, catman- i'm fixin' to enter my first winter here. :-)

I can tell you that I must look like the bad mom- dropping the kids off for school in just long-sleeved shirts when people who have been here longer have their kids all bundled up. The lack of humidity with the cold makes a heckuva difference.
I think this winter is going to be a beast everywhere though.
I imagine the roughest part will be getting through the canyon. I fell sorry for my husband, having to go through Clines Corners (the highest point on 40) this winter.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:10 PM

RRR: I think Clines Corners is a cold place a lot of the time. It's up around 7000' and tends to be windy. I would n't want to have to make that drive all winter.

I'll happily wait for the report on Moriarty in winter! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico