Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:48 PM

312 posts, read 1,018,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
no , I dont have a survey but I did grow up in Portales and was in Clovis every week, the people are pretty much the same and obviously the towns likes all those restaurants that I named cause that is whats there. I never heard anyone complaining of no sushi restaurants, Clovis isnt all hip like that. If sushi was in big demand they would have it.

I would like it if ABQ offered more country style cooking here but for some reason the people here dont seem to be too interested in it, the same goes for cajun food which I happen to like, but I accept that and I will eat it next time im in TX or Eastern NM.

I do know Clovis wants more shopping and places to eat, almost all my family lives there or in Portales or Lubbock, so I hear it, its just that no one mentions sushi or italian or anything fancy.

and of course the military poeple would spend more if Clovis offered more, bringing in that many people who are used to having all sorts of varieties in the city they came from, then sending them into Clovis which dosent have much can suck.

I live in Albuquerque right now.

Not everyone in Clovis/Portales (I am talking about locals) are happy with everything saying the same. Trust me when I say that many many people (locals) want sushi AND some good pasta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Desert Sun, do you even live here? Your location says Albuquerque. Which ironically enough when I searched "gluten free" on this forum I found a nice big thread in the ABQ forum about all the great places to eat and shop. Which is what made me think I might start a thread like that for Clovis/Portales.

Every time I've asked a question here I've almost never gotten an answer but instead been told why I'm ridiculous for even asking and how I'm not invited here. Reading through the forums for the other cities I don't see this attitude. I was hoping I would like New Mexico. I used to live in Tucson and I was hoping it would be similar. I love the skies here. I love the weather. The people in real life have been friendly which is quite the relief after living in Washington D.C for 10 months. But I feel like I've gone back in time 20 years. No one seems open to new ideas. And while I've been trying really hard to like it here people like you don't make it very easy.

So I'm really sorry my family has a disease that makes them ill and makes it very hard to grocery shop and go out to eat. I didn't mean to inconvenience you This is why so many people drive to Amarillo and Lubbock and give Texas their hard earned money instead of keeping it local.

To the others that defended me, thank you. It's nice to know not everyone is like desert sun.

And if anyone DOES actually have an answer to my question that would be wonderful. I know we're not the only family with celiacs. I haven't made a ton of friends here but out of the few families I've met I know 2 others who deal with this disease as well. And they're not "transplants" btw although I don't really understand what that has to do with it anyways. I don't understand the hostility about all the new people who also bring with them a boost to the local economy.

you may feel like you gone back in time 20 years cause you are in Clovis, little ol' isolated conservative bible belt Clovis, and to top it off, you came from Washington DC which is a whole nother advanced world.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
Not everyone in Clovis/Portales (I am talking about locals) are happy with everything saying the same. Trust me when I say that many many people (locals) want sushi AND some good pasta!
Im not saying there are people that dont want it at all, its just not a high demand type thing, ask the cowboys or the illegals or the thugs around there if they want some sushi, or the people that can barely afford to live or the old folks who are set in their ways, they all make up a good amount of the population, growing up there I know that Portales/Clovis dont like to change much.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
We've been here since July. I've called a few places but it just gets discouraging after awhile. Plus we do have places in Amarillo that we can eat out at. There's quite a few places in Albuquerque we can eat, including a pizza place, so we're planning on going out there soon. I like to keep my money in my local economy but this town is making it hard.

Im not saying its wrong to have your disease or for trying to find some better foods for you, Im sorry actually ,but what I am trying to say is that you shouldnt expect places to conform to your needs and ways. Im not trying to be an A$$ or anything .

and no I dont live there but I have spent most of my life in the Portales/Clovis area

Old 10-25-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Im not saying there are people that dont want it at all, its just not a high demand type thing, ask the cowboys or the illegals or the thugs around there if they want some sushi, or the people that can barely afford to live or the old folks who are set in their ways, they all make up a good amount of the population, growing up there I know that Portales/Clovis dont like to change much.
What is most funny about what you just said.. is that there are actually a lot of rich/upper class people on Clovis/Portales.

Maybe you just know what the Cowboys, illegals and thugs want.

No harsh words intended... but you are wrong on this one honey.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 PM

74 posts, read 209,247 times
I'm not asking anyone to carry gluten free stuff. Don't get me wrong, it'd be AWESOME if they did. I would love to not have to drive 2 hours with a child who screams the entire way in her car seat just so I can buy her and my husband some food they can actually eat. And Albertsons does have one very small shelf.

I'm just asking that I be able to walk into a restaurant and ask what the ingredients are in their offerings. That is far from asking too much IMO.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not asking anyone to carry gluten free stuff. Don't get me wrong, it'd be AWESOME if they did. I would love to not have to drive 2 hours with a child who screams the entire way in her car seat just so I can buy her and my husband some food they can actually eat. And Albertsons does have one very small shelf.

I'm just asking that I be able to walk into a restaurant and ask what the ingredients are in their offerings. That is far from asking too much IMO.

Preach it Sister

Old 10-25-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
What is most funny about what you just said.. is that there are actually a lot of rich/upper class people on Clovis/Portales.

Maybe you just know what the Cowboys, illegals and thugs want.

No harsh words intended... but you are wrong on this one honey.
I never said that and you know what I mean, but what you are telling me is that only rich upper class people eat sushi, is that what you are trying to be?

and Im pretty sure that the cowboys working hard out in the field are not anxiously waiting for their day at the sushi bar

and Im sure the gangbangers are not saying "you know what, I've gots to get me some ahi tuna rolls to go with my 40oz or my weed"

anyways I think you know you are wrong and you are acting like a typical transplant, are you from California by any chance cause you are acting like you know everything for being someone who tottally dosent understand the area you are in.

Ive had friends from every kind of background there and none of them were too concerned with sushi, at least they never mentioned it, not even my asian aunt.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I never said that and you know what I mean, but what you are telling me is that only rich upper class people eat sushi, is that what you are trying to be?

and Im pretty sure that the cowboys working hard out in the field are not anxiously waiting for their day at the sushi bar

and Im sure the gangbangers are not saying "you know what, I've gots to get me some ahi tuna rolls to go with my 40oz or my weed"

anyways I think you know you are wrong and you are acting like a typical transplant, are you from California by any chance cause you are acting like you know everything for being someone who tottally dosent understand the area you are in.

Ive had friends from every kind of background there and none of them were too concerned with sushi, at least they never mentioned it, not even my asian aunt.

Dearheart... You are the one that stated that Cowboys, illegals, and Thugs DO NOT want sushi etc..... I was only going with YOUR flow and stating that there are people here who want that stuff.

You no longer live here... so hush please.

You are no longer the "expert" on Clovis/Portales.

I am not from Cali, WAY off. I am living here in Clovis and I know what I am talking about. You however USED to live here and are typing from a computer miles and miles and miles awayfrom Clovis/Portales.

I only tried to play your game, and you are too ignorant to see that I just turned the tables on you and you cannot handle it.

I am not trying to be nasty or mean.. but you went "there" and I am not one to lay down and allow that crap to be said or implied about me.

AND

Yes I do think that there are people who do drugs and like sushi. Yes I do think that there are Cowboys/Ranchers that like sushi...Good lord boy.. do you really think that everyone is made out of cookie cutters?

Lets just agree that you no longer live here and I do... therefore I might know something that you currently do not.. because you CURRENTLY no longer live here.

Now back to the subject.

We need places to eat here in Clovis/Portales that hire and have people who know what the heck GLUTEN is....

Thanks and smile

Old 10-26-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Dearheart... You are the one that stated that Cowboys, illegals, and Thugs DO NOT want sushi etc..... I was only going with YOUR flow and stating that there are people here who want that stuff.

You no longer live here... so hush please.

You are no longer the "expert" on Clovis/Portales.

I am not from Cali, WAY off. I am living here in Clovis and I know what I am talking about. You however USED to live here and are typing from a computer miles and miles and miles awayfrom Clovis/Portales.

I only tried to play your game, and you are too ignorant to see that I just turned the tables on you and you cannot handle it.

I am not trying to be nasty or mean.. but you went "there" and I am not one to lay down and allow that crap to be said or implied about me.

AND

Yes I do think that there are people who do drugs and like sushi. Yes I do think that there are Cowboys/Ranchers that like sushi...Good lord boy.. do you really think that everyone is made out of cookie cutters?

Lets just agree that you no longer live here and I do... therefore I might know something that you currently do not.. because you CURRENTLY no longer live here.

Now back to the subject.

We need places to eat here in Clovis/Portales that hire and have people who know what the heck GLUTEN is....

Thanks and smile

like I said ,the place dont change much, that pretty much sums up all my posts, and you are still wrong, I am still connected to the area since all my family lives there and I was raised there, the town is still a part of me, when I moved to ABQ, Portales/Clovis didnt do a 360 and change over night and neither did the people, other than the base addidition its the same ol town it was when I was a child and I go back several times a year.

go to Taco Town(the north side of town) and ask the wannabe gangstas if they want sushi with their drugs or alcohol or even want it at all, see what the stats come out to, you are starting to sound a little weird, that is like me going to Alabama and telling the people there that I know what their small town needs,and I know more about the people and the culture of that town and what they prefer than the people who use to live there, its crazy, you dont have any idea about the area and its obvious through your posts, so hush please!

and there may be a rancher here or there that may like sushi, if they have ever tried it, but maybe like 1 in 30 people(thats just a guess) most are hard workers living simple lives, they arent too concerned with being hip or trendy and eating food that is not even familiar with the area, chinese food is popular, however sushi is one of those things that dont seem to be too attractive to people. BEEF! its whats for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico