Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:09 PM

74 posts, read 209,213 times

Advertisements

Any gems of restaurants we're missing? Both my daughter and my husband have celiacs disease and can not have gluten. Eating out is pretty rough here. There have been a few places I've called and talked to the manager and they didn't even know what gluten was. Kinda sad for someone running a restaurant!

We know Chili's has a GF menu and Dakota's Steakhouse has worked with us. Anywhere else? Any of the mexican places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Any gems of restaurants we're missing? Both my daughter and my husband have celiacs disease and can not have gluten. Eating out is pretty rough here. There have been a few places I've called and talked to the manager and they didn't even know what gluten was. Kinda sad for someone running a restaurant!

We know Chili's has a GF menu and Dakota's Steakhouse has worked with us. Anywhere else? Any of the mexican places?

Im from Portales and I've never heard of gluten either.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Im from Portales and I've never heard of gluten either.
Do you run a restaurant though? Anyone who works in food should know what gluten is; they should understand the ingredients they are serving in their restaurants. Anyways gluten is in anything with wheat, rye, barley, and oats.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Do you run a restaurant though? Anyone who works in food should know what gluten is; they should understand the ingredients they are serving in their restaurants. Anyways gluten is in anything with wheat, rye, barley, and oats.

I guess that goes to show you that no one over there cares much about that stuff

Old 10-24-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I guess that goes to show you that no one over there cares much about that stuff
About what stuff? About the food they serve? Or the people who can't eat certain foods? You'd think a restaurant would care if they made someone seriously ill. Considering 1 in 133 americans have celiacs disease it's not exactly some bizarre rare disease.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
About what stuff? About the food they serve? Or the people who can't eat certain foods? You'd think a restaurant would care if they made someone seriously ill. Considering 1 in 133 americans have celiacs disease it's not exactly some bizarre rare disease.

it must be rare if people that run restaurants dont know anything about it, obviously before the transplants came in these things must've never been brought up before, I noticed that living here in ABQ, the only people that ask for organic,no sodium,blah blah blah are the people that I can tell are obvious transplants.

Im sure the restaurant cares if they make someone ill but they cant please everyone, I noticed too where I work that its the transplants that suggest we carry this or that and complain when we dont have what they had back home, native NM's are just more accepting of what they have.

and if someone knows what may make them sick then they dont need to eat it, Im sure there are people that complain that they cant get an alcoholic drink on Sundays but that is life.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:47 PM

No it's only the people HERE that haven't known what gluten is. I've never encountered this elsewhere unless I'm talking to a teenager behind a cash register at a fast food place. And heck even the lady at Chick fil A in Amarillo a few weeks ago was able to help us quite easily find something that we could eat. I've lived in many many places from coast to coast. Some huge cities, some tiny towns smaller than this one. So yes, it comes as a surprise when the manager of a restaurant doesn't even know what ingredients are being used.

We're not asking for more options. We're just asking to know what options are available to us since half my family has this disease. We just want to be able to go out to eat and not get ill. I don't think that's asking too much.

From: How Common Is Celiac Disease - How Many People Have Celiac Disease

Quote:
Question: How Common is Celiac Disease?
Answer: Celiac disease is a common genetic disorder that affects people all over the world. It is difficult to find a single statistic that describes the number of people with celiac disease, because studies have focused on people in different countries, of different ages, and/or with different medical conditions. The results are likely to be somewhat different in each of these populations. For the United States population, the number that's most often quoted is that nearly 1 out of every 133 people has celiac disease. This statistic comes from a large study, which makes it more reliable. On the other hand, subjects in the study were predominantly Caucasian. The prevalence of celiac disease in other ethnic groups may not be the same as in Caucasians, so the "1 in 133" number may not be exactly right -- but it's the best estimate we have so far.
Researchers believe that more than 2 million people in the United States have celiac disease but don’t know it.
Among people who have a close relative with celiac disease, the prevalence is known to be even higher. If you are a first-degree relative -- parent, child, brother or sister -- of a person with celiac disease, you have a 1 in 22 chance of developing the disease in your lifetime. If you are a second-degree relative -- aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, grandparent, grandchild or half-sibling -- your risk is 1 in 39.
According to the Wm. K. Warren Medical Research Center for Celiac Disease Research in San Diego, celiac disease is twice as common as Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis and cystic fibrosis combined.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:38 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
Quote:
it must be rare if people that run restaurants dont know anything about it, obviously before the transplants came in these things must've never been brought up before, I noticed that living here in ABQ, the only people that ask for organic,no sodium,blah blah blah are the people that I can tell are obvious transplants.
Maybe that's because this is such a poor state. Poor people often don't have a lot of choice about what they eat, and often, unfortunately, it's cheaper and more convenient to eat unhealthful food. I will give you this though: much of what is least healthful in people's diets is probably the industrialized stuff that was introduced relatively recently, particularly hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. This is new crap that was shoved down people's throats by food engineers, probably from big cities, but unfortunately a lot of people just consider this part of their food tradition. Traditional lard is one thing, but industrialized, hydrogenated lard is another, etc. (Also, the diet of the average poor person here is probably a lot better than what you find in the inner cities of large metropolises with their hole-in-the-wall, all deep-fried all the time, "Chinese" take-out places and grocery stores without anything remotely healthy in them. And where people are growing their own vegetables or raising their own chickens, that's going to be healthier.)

I have to ask for things without cheese (because it makes my sinuses flare up). In one small New Mexican style restaurant here when I mentioned this, it turned out that one of the waitresses, a New Mexican native, had recently discovered that eating milk products was causing various health problems for her. Additionally, I have heard other New Mexican natives talk about sensitivity to dairy products. So apparently it's not just those from outside who have problems of this sort. (But, interestingly, there are rare inherited diseases which exist here in New Mexico that are perpetuated as a result of various communities' isolation from outsiders (probably due in large part to relative geographic isolation of some small towns, not necessarily due to a policy of not marrying strangers), the diseases which plague some descendants of the original Spanish settlers here. Similar rare inherited diseases exist in insular Amish communities.)

Celiac disease is not that rare, and gluten is nothing that obscure. And ignorance is not a cultural trait worth defending. (Granted, I wouldn't expect restauranteurs in small town New Mexico to know what gluten is.)

Quote:
Im sure the restaurant cares if they make someone ill but they cant please everyone, I noticed too where I work that its the transplants that suggest we carry this or that and complain when we dont have what they had back home, native NM's are just more accepting of what they have.
And do you have a problem with your customers making suggestions?

Quote:
and if someone knows what may make them sick then they dont need to eat it, Im sure there are people that complain that they cant get an alcoholic drink on Sundays but that is life.
Right. She's trying to avoid eating it, but she's wondering if she it might still be possible to go out to eat now and then. Everybody has to eat food, but not everybody has to drink alcohol. They aren't completely comparable.

Wow, man, you are making me want to go back to a big city. (That's not an option for me though, for my own health reasons.)

And how can you value education with such a high resistance to learning something new?

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 10-24-2009 at 11:53 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Maybe that's because this is such a poor state. Poor people often don't have a lot of choice about what they eat, and often, unfortunately, it's cheaper and more convenient to eat unhealthful food. I will give you this though: much of what is least healthful in people's diets is probably the industrialized stuff that was introduced relatively recently, particularly hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. This is new crap that was shoved down people's throats by food engineers, probably from big cities, but unfortunately a lot of people just consider this part of their food tradition. Traditional lard is one thing, but industrialized, hydrogenated lard is another, etc. (Also, the diet of the average poor person here is probably a lot better than what you find in the inner cities of large metropolises with their hole-in-the-wall, all deep-fried all the time, "Chinese" take-out places and grocery stores without anything remotely healthy in them. And where people are growing their own vegetables or raising their own chickens, that's going to be healthier.)

I have to ask for things without cheese (because it makes my sinuses flare up). In one small New Mexican style restaurant here when I mentioned this, it turned out that one of the waitresses, a New Mexican native, had recently discovered that eating milk products was causing various health problems for her. Additionally, I have heard other New Mexican natives talk about sensitivity to dairy products. So apparently it's not just those from outside who have problems of this sort. (But, interestingly, there are rare inherited diseases which exist here in New Mexico that are perpetuated as a result of various communities' isolation from outsiders (probably due in large part to relative geographic isolation of some small towns, not necessarily due to a policy of not marrying strangers), the diseases which plague some descendants of the original Spanish settlers here. Similar rare inherited diseases exist in insular Amish communities.)

Celiac disease is not that rare, and gluten is nothing that obscure. And ignorance is not a cultural trait worth defending. (Granted, I wouldn't expect restauranteurs in small town New Mexico to know what gluten is.)

And do you have a problem with your customers making suggestions?

Right. She's trying to avoid eating it, but she's wondering if she it might still be possible to go out to eat now and then. Everybody has to eat food, but not everybody has to drink alcohol. They aren't completely comparable.

Wow, man, you are making me want to go back to a big city. (That's not an option for me though, for my own health reasons.)

And how can you value education with such a high resistance to learning something new?

I dont have a problem with customers making suggestions ,its just that every east coaster seems to think we must cater to thier needs and specifically order what they want and start carrying it all the time, it dont work that way, if they want all that, then they need to go back to where they came from or just accept what is here. If I move to Alabama I dont expect local stores to start carrying green chile just cause I want it. get my point.

and as a life long New Mexican I can say that I havent heard native NM's complain or say that they have to have organic or whatever, they eat what they can and dont eat what they cant. easy enough. Its one thing to order something with or without cheese but another to order something that is processed differently from out of state or wherever.

If I make you wanna go back to a city then you shouldnt be so easily influenced by one persons words, different strokes for different folks.

and you are right about this being a poor state and the people arnt too concerned with what is in the food they are eating, I know I dont care, if its fried then its for me, I love fattening foods but I understand others dont.

all im saying is that you cant expect places to change their ways of doing things to fullfil your needs, I dont expect anyone to do it for me, if I dont like the way someone does things then I go somewhere else.

and its one thing to promote a good education and its another to promote one's wants to other people, now this whole thread is going beyond its intended purpose, now its just a mess.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:00 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,414 times
Quote:
I dont have a problem with customers making suggestions ,its just that every east coaster seems to think we must cater to thier needs and specifically order what they want and start carrying it all the time, it dont work that way, if they want all that, then they need to go back to where they came from or just accept what is here. If I move to Alabama I dont expect local stores to start carrying green chile just cause I want it. get my point.

and as a life long New Mexican I can say that I havent heard native NM's complain or say that they have to have organic or whatever, they eat what they can and dont eat what they cant. easy enough. Its one thing to order something with or without cheese but another to order something that is processed differently from out of state or wherever.

If I make you wanna go back to a city then you shouldnt be so easily influenced by one persons words, different strokes for different folks.

and you are right about this being a poor state and the people arnt too concerned with what is in the food they are eating, I know I dont care, if its fried then its for me, I love fattening foods but I understand others dont.

all im saying is that you cant expect places to change their ways of doing things to fullfil your needs, I dont expect anyone to do it for me, if I dont like the way someone does things then I go somewhere else.

and its one thing to promote a good education and its another to promote one's wants to other people, now this whole thread is going beyond its intended purpose, now its just a mess.
Wow. that is an interesting perspective! Hmph!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico