Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:22 PM

13 posts, read 23,494 times

Advertisements

So I'm not looking to make any major changes until summer 2010, which is good because I have no idea where I'm going yet!

First thing is I am a single middle-aged woman who's family is all in PA and OH (which is where I currently am). I am ready to pick up and begin a new life and have no fears of doing so alone. But there are some things I am in need of, or at least am hoping for:

I absolutely need to get out of the humid climate! As the years go on the humidity bothers me more and more. The dry heat is tolerable as long as it isn't scorching. Also I am a bit of a tree hugger so a more liberal area would suit me better. I like being fairly close to an area that offers cultural events and happenings but certainly don't wish to live among the hustle-bustle of a large city. I also don't require a lot of space between my four walls but prefer to not live in an apartment setting. Renting would be ideal the first year, so affordable rental property would be helpful.

Unfortunately I have to work (haha) so a decent job market with cost of living is comparable to the housing costs.

I have been leaning towards New Mexico with Santa Fe being ideal but not really affordable. Or ABQ which would have more to offer I think. Although I have visited a time or two I don't know much else of the state.

Do I sound like a dreamer? I guess in some ways I am. But I have spent most of my life taking care of others and now it's my turn. Why can't I have it all?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 03:46 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,967 times
Of course New Mexico wants you! New Mexico is very diverse though. I wouldn't rule out Santa Fe. Maybe Towanda will chime in. She loves it there. She would know much more about the area than I. I personally like Ruidoso.

http://www.ruidoso.net/

What kind of work are you looking for?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemsadream View Post
So I'm not looking to make any major changes until summer 2010, which is good because I have no idea where I'm going yet!

First thing is I am a single middle-aged woman who's family is all in PA and OH (which is where I currently am). I am ready to pick up and begin a new life and have no fears of doing so alone. But there are some things I am in need of, or at least am hoping for:

I absolutely need to get out of the humid climate! As the years go on the humidity bothers me more and more. The dry heat is tolerable as long as it isn't scorching. Also I am a bit of a tree hugger so a more liberal area would suit me better. I like being fairly close to an area that offers cultural events and happenings but certainly don't wish to live among the hustle-bustle of a large city. I also don't require a lot of space between my four walls but prefer to not live in an apartment setting. Renting would be ideal the first year, so affordable rental property would be helpful.

Unfortunately I have to work (haha) so a decent job market with cost of living is comparable to the housing costs.

I have been leaning towards New Mexico with Santa Fe being ideal but not really affordable. Or ABQ which would have more to offer I think. Although I have visited a time or two I don't know much else of the state.

Do I sound like a dreamer? I guess in some ways I am. But I have spent most of my life taking care of others and now it's my turn. Why can't I have it all?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
you are not a dreamer and both Sante Fe and ABQ might work or somewhere inbetween, especially if you are looking liberal which you are. Of course, the job market, depending on your career would probably be better in ABQ. Sante Fe is mostly Artist and government employees.

If you do not want the heat, do not go south of Abq or not much south.

I would start your research and job search very soon. It will take you some time to find that perfect job.

Nita

Old 08-17-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
Of course New Mexico wants you! New Mexico is very diverse though. I wouldn't rule out Santa Fe. Maybe Towanda will chime in. She loves it there. She would know much more about the area than I. I personally like Ruidoso.

The Ruidoso Web Site... Ruidoso, New Mexico

What kind of work are you looking for?
yep, Ruidoso is heaven right here on earth, but making a living there is another thing, depending on her field.

Nita

Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM

13 posts, read 23,494 times
How far is Ruidoso from ABQ? I was out playing tourist many years ago and don't recall much between ABQ and Santa Fe. Thanks for the link though...I'll be sure to check it out.

My degree (BA) is in Psychology and I have a heavy background in Children's Services. Due to burnout however I left the field several years ago and am now an office manager for an engineering firm. Quite frankly I no longer have career goals and would be happy in a job that keeps me on my toes and pays well enough afford the simple things. I'd make jewelry full time if I could make a living at it!

Also I much prefer a diverse area. It's what I'm use to.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:18 PM

5,431 posts, read 29,175,955 times
I'm pretty much in the same frame of mind as you..only I am in Kansas..I've been dreaming for years, but the urge is really getting strong lately. I'd like to find a job in a music studio, or something related to music...no experience, just something I've always loved and want to spend the last half of my life doing something I love, instead of something to just pay the bills.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemsadream View Post
How far is Ruidoso from ABQ?
Ruidoso is about 180 miles south and east of Albuquerque. It is about a 3 hour drive. It is approximately 7000 ft elevation and pretty much forest. It is located next the the Lincoln National Forest and the Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation, east of White Sands Missle Range and west of Roswell.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:11 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,857 times
Depending upon what you mean by cultural activities, Santa Fe might be ideal except for the housing cost.

Ruidoso, again depending upon what you mean by cultural activities, may not have enough, but it is more affordable.

ABQ might be your best bet. It is the biggest city in New Mexico but still fairly small and no so much hustle-bustle. It probably has the best combination of housing cost - job opportunity. It is big enough to have cultural activities and you can take the train to Santa Fe when you want to.

Humidity is not a problem in any of them as far as I know, although I don't have much personal experience with Ruidoso. I suspect is the most humid of the three, but still dry by any reasonable standard.

Tree-hugger? That points toward Santa Fe.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM

5,431 posts, read 29,175,955 times
seemsadream: some inspiration for you!

YouTube - Bruce Springsteen - Working On A Dream

YouTube - Waiting For Me

YouTube - John Denver Sweet Surrender

Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 PM

I so think ABQ will be your best bet. As for lay offs, sure there are some, but NM hasn't been hit nearly as hard as many states. Just read these threads, how many people are moving in because they just got jobs.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico