Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,415,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It amazes me how the only way Spanish speakers will learn English is if it's forced but those from other language backgrounds eagerly learn it.
Apples and Oranges. Many of the Spanish-speaking populations in this country, especially the west, did not move here from somewhere else. They have been occupying the same land since before the English speakers came.

If you go to New York City, you will find that most Puerto Ricans and Dominicans do learn English within the first generation.

About a hundred years ago, people said the same about the German-speaking population of the U.S., that they were resistant to learning English. Now German-Americans are the largest single component of English-speaking Americans.

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 PM

12 posts, read 29,358 times
Default crash course

Why not go to Mexico and take a crash Spanish immersion course?
If I was hiring and there is a candidate with english and one with english and spanish, I am hiring the latter.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,948,331 times
I wish I spoke better spanish I like to speak it, but I dont feel we as americans should have to speak it to get work.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,733,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
I wish I spoke better spanish I like to speak it, but I dont feel we as americans should have to speak it to get work.
I think that decision is really up to the employer. If being able to provide services in Spanish will help the bottom line I can understand why employers want bi-lingual employees.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,455,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I think that decision is really up to the employer. If being able to provide services in Spanish will help the bottom line I can understand why employers want bi-lingual employees.
Exactly.

The OP is looking for employment in the social service field which means ( depending on the agency or employer ) that she likely will find herself working with lower income people who don't have the resources to get help from any other source. In NM, there are a larger number of Spanish only and Spanish comfortable people in the lower income bracket.

This is not a case of "Why can't these people learn our language?", but a case of " I need to be able to communicate to as many of these people as possible" so learning some Spanish would possibly make her a better candidate for some jobs.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:16 PM

271 posts, read 658,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Exactly.

The OP is looking for employment in the social service field which means ( depending on the agency or employer ) that she likely will find herself working with lower income people who don't have the resources to get help from any other source. In NM, there are a larger number of Spanish only and Spanish comfortable people in the lower income bracket.

This is not a case of "Why can't these people learn our language?", but a case of " I need to be able to communicate to as many of these people as possible" so learning some Spanish would possibly make her a better candidate for some jobs.
A bit assumptuous considering that I'm a guy.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:37 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,854,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post

would love to find my spot in New Mexico.

I work in the social service/human service sector. While eventually I would like to get out I feel that with my education and experience that's the area I need to focus on getting employed in so I at least have a job.

Here's the question. I am NOT bi-lingual. I took 3 years of spanish in high school and think I remember enough to ask people to speak english so, is there a spot in New Mexico where a human service professional can find a job and make a decent living?
If you want to come to New Mexico, then come on out.

Brushing up, re-learning and/or practicing your Spanish probably would not hurt. But it really depends on what the employer requires. And that can vary greatly.

My native language is Spanish, but I have difficulty with it due to lack of use. I've used it more in Europe than in the US. I have lived in New Mexico for the last 11 years. If you can learn Spanish easily, then go for it.

Rich

Old 01-08-2010, 02:43 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,455,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
A bit assumptuous considering that I'm a guy.

My mistake. Too late to edit it.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,997,557 times
I'm spanish.... but I do not speak it ha, nor do I like to speak it and you will get around just fine in New Mexico...

Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM

34 posts, read 96,619 times
I agree with almost all the post in this thread-while I do speak both English and Spanish perfectly, and understand how you feel about this being the United States, not Mexico, Central America, South America, and/or Spain. Mexico, is not the only spanish speaking country.

I lived in Spain for a long time, and my job, required that I spoke, wrote, and could hold a conversation in English as well as Spanish, of course. At first I though: what for? I am in Spain, not the United States. Then, I realized, that no matter what, knowing a second language, would be of a great advantage to me, so I went, and learned English. Much to my surprise, I later got hired by a company in the United States, because, I knew both, English, and Spanish, and the salary is more, because of that extra: English.

So, at the end, you will be the one benefited. I feel like knowing one, two or whatever languages you would want to learn, is always of a benefit. BTW: I don't live in NM, but sounds like an awesome state to live in. Wish you all the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Great post and dang - they wouldn't let me click your "reputation" again.

I would add that being bi-lingual in Spanish ANYWHERE in the states bordering Mexico is going to be a bonus when job hunting today. In places like El Paso, TX it may well be a requirement for some jobs. It's just a fact of life we all have to live with today. Fortunately most young people being schooled in these states are learning Spanish beginning in grade school.

Anyone living in Everett, Washington is going to think NM's cost of living is a bargain (Santa Fe excepted). But along with lower cost of living goes lower income levels for comparable positions in the two states.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico