Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:06 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,719 times

Advertisements

They set them out with a bowl of salsa? Looks like red powder on the chips?

I LOVE those. And I'm trying to figure out what goes into that seasoning.
I searched the internet, and the closest I could come was to mix equal parts of cumin and chili powder. But it's not quite right.

Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
You mean what's on the barbecue doritos?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:09 AM

LOL!
No, not Doritos. These appear to be fine grain corn chips, sprinkled lightly with a red powder. Served warm in a small basket. They're best when they're slightly greasy

Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
It works out better if you have the capability of deep frying the corn tortillas like the commercial comapanies do but this is what I do:

Ingredients

1 tbsp virgin olive oil

1 pinch kosher salt or sea salt

1 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp crushed Coriander (Cilantro), Optional

1 pinch ground cayenne (red pepper) or Mexican chili powder or packaged Taco Seasoning

4 medium (8 inch) corn tortillas , cut into 8 pieces

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 325 to 400 degrees F.

2 Mix oil, salt, paprika, and pepper powder in a bowl.

3. Lightly brush mixture on tortillas, cut into wedges (I use a sharp pizza cutter), put on a baking sheet.

4 Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes.

Rich

Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
Well, the quintessential hot chip is Red Hot Blues so you could look at their ingredients which has dehydrated tomato & paprika with the spices:

GARDEN OF EATIN® Products

Where were you served them?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
I think it is cumin and chili powder with a little salt.

I've tried making the tortilla chips from tortillas. I haven't found a great recipe yet. I read someplace to brush on a little veggie oil and sprinkle with prepared taco seasoning.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Thanks Rich! I have all that stuff on hand, and will give it a try.
(going to leave out the cilantro though, it tastes like 'feet' to me.)

bongo - I have had them at several places in Alamogordo, most recently at Margo's restaurant. I also had them at Big Daddy's restaurant in Cloudcroft. I used to live in So. California and have never seen them at the Mexican restaurants there, I am thinking it might be a NM thang.

Sarahsez - I tried it with cumin, chili powder and garlic salt. I am wondering if paprika is the missing ingredient.

Thanks you guys

Last edited by NMNan; 01-22-2010 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 11:54 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egglady View Post
Thanks Rich! I have all that stuff on hand, and will give it a try.
(going to leave out the cilantro though, it tastes like 'feet' to me.)

bongo - I have had them at several places in Alamogordo, most recently at Margo's restaurant. I also had them at Big Daddy's restaurant in Cloudcroft. I used to live in So. California and have never seen them at the Mexican restaurants there, I am thinking it might be a NM thang.

Sarahsez - I tried it with cumin, chili powder and garlic salt. I am wondering if paprika is the missing ingredient.

Thanks you guys
They have them at Margo's? I ate there about 3 weeks ago, and they were regular chips. Guess they must just serve them periodically.

I cannot imagine comino (cumin) on these chips. The very few times I've had seasoned chips, they tasted like pure red chile powder, salt and garlic.

Cilantro is definitely a different taste. You either love it or hate it. I love it so much that I even make a cilantro soup from time to time.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:46 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,316 times
Well, it's sure not New Mexican, but I long ago discovered a seasoning that I use on virtually everything I eat - especially in soups and such. And it would probably work well on tortilla chips, but never tried it for that. One of my favorite uses for it is on avocados. I don't particularly care for the taste of raw avocados without the seasoning, but with it they're wonderful!

TONY CHACHERE'S CAJUN SEASONINGS

The "Original Flavor" is available in most area grocery stores and Walmart. I can no longer find the "Extra Spice" one here though.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Well, it's sure not New Mexican, but I long ago discovered a seasoning that I use on virtually everything I eat - especially in soups and such. And it would probably work well on tortilla chips, but never tried it for that. One of my favorite uses for it is on avocados. I don't particularly care for the taste of raw avocados without the seasoning, but with it they're wonderful!

TONY CHACHERE'S CAJUN SEASONINGS

The "Original Flavor" is available in most area grocery stores and Walmart. I can no longer find the "Extra Spice" one here though.

Yep.....I love that seasoning, too.....can make cardboard (used in place of the word I really meant) taste good!

Not surprised at not being able to find the "extra spice". Seems like everything has to be so BLAND!!

So, if I want extra hot, I just order whatever from Pendery's in Dallas, and add it accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico