Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
I caught the end of a show called Demographic Bomb (can't remmeber the channel, but I'm sure Joel Osteen was coming-up next )... they were all about having a higher birth rate. Demographic Bomb - Documentary - demography is destiny
I'm all for lower birth rates as well. Part of the reason we bought a used model.
Maybe it was 85 kids and Counting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 11:13 AM

331 posts, read 498,611 times
Yep, and Lea County is #1 in New Mexico. Hooray!

On that topic, the Hobbs News-Sun reported that the first baby born in 2010 was born to an unmarried, teenage couple. Is that something to be proud of? I don't think so!

Also, somewhat unrelated to us, nearby Ector County (Odessa), Texas, is number one in the country in teen pregnancies.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 AM

107 posts, read 273,998 times
Quote:
I caught the end of a show called Demographic Bomb (can't remmeber the channel, but I'm sure Joel Osteen was coming-up next )... they were all about having a higher birth rate. Demographic Bomb - Documentary - demography is destiny
That's interesting.

I don't want to sound politically incorrect here, but teenage single parents don't usually create the kind of families that contribute to the economy.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
Yep, and Lea County is #1 in New Mexico. Hooray!

On that topic, the Hobbs News-Sun reported that the first baby born in 2010 was born to an unmarried, teenage couple. Is that something to be proud of? I don't think so!

Also, somewhat unrelated to us, nearby Ector County (Odessa), Texas, is number one in the country in teen pregnancies.

the Deep South and the Southwest have the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country, maybe it has something to do with the weather.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:37 AM

312 posts, read 1,017,636 times
People need to want more for their children.

Your kids having kids to replace the ones that have turned 18 and you can no longer claim for them wel-fare... needs to stop.

If people wanted more for their kids v/s what they had.... then teach them... it wont always work but it does in the long run.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:13 AM

426 posts, read 1,086,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. Some people celebrate a high birth rate, other decry it. I'm a member of the latter (you know, sustainability and all).

I saw that months ago when it was called Demographic Winter! What happened to the title?
It's was actually on Google Video at the time, and may still be. It's rather interesting actually. They claim as people become more educated, and more interested in obtaining careers, and a comfortable life (mostly financially), the birth rate is falling. I'm not sure if that's the single reason that could be tied to the declining birth rate.

Someone needs to teach these kids how they can have their "fun" while being able to keep their "freedom". Sex doesn't have to equal babies ALL the time.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
It does if you follow the teaching of some of the major religions. According to them babies is the reason for having sex and the pleasure part is sinful. Not everyone seems to agree. I think kids should be taught about sex, including the pleasure, pain and pregnancy avoidance in public schools, because their parents don't seem to be doing very well judging by the results.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
Your kids having kids to replace the ones that have turned 18 and you can no longer claim for them wel-fare... needs to stop.
Is the Welfare benefit really large enough to make havng kids a viable income?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:10 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert
Is the Welfare benefit really large enough ...?
Of course not, but someone who calculates --
"Hey! If I download another sprog, I get more cash!"
isn't likely to be able to make those kinds of calculations.
( Their retirement plan is to hit it big at the lottery. )

Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I think it's more like playing Russian roulette...betting that the chamber in front of the firing pin isn't loaded this particular time. I used to be in a band called The Rhythm Method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico