Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:14 AM

238 posts, read 635,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post

Cokes (and all other soda pops), including the diet versions, should be banned - period! Never should have been approved for sale in the first place.

Really? Why is that?

--BtK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,994,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
With a budget shortfall, how was that positive, exactly?

I haven't seen any solid numbers, but we can infer that the state government has $125M less to work with, because of the removed food tax.

Our state government is at last count about $650M in the hole.

Our government is indeed too big (that's a big negative for Richardson, since his executive-level appointments are definitely playing their part in making that hole as big as it is), but as long as we have a government in place, taxes will be required to fund it.

I think too many people would like to declare just about everything exempt from taxation to the point where our government has zero funding whatsoever. Food's no more sacred to me than income, property, or gross receipts.
good heavens to Betsy, I never indicated I liked him, I couldn't stand him as a matter of fact, and you are right, government is too big, but what does that have to do with taxing food..?? Why is that bad? I do not happen to believe in taxing anything a person absolutely has to have to exist, food particularly. The sale of food isn't controlled by the government so why should it be taxed? Get rid of the overpaid executives in Sante Fe, cut some funding, but do not add food tax back.. We need gas taxes to pay for our roads, taxes to support the police and firefighters as well as taxes for our schools, there are other taxes needed as well, food is not one of them. It sounds like you believe in taxing everything and anything..

Nita

Old 02-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Cokes (and all other soda pops), including the diet versions, should be banned - period! Never should have been approved for sale in the first place.
wow, I guess you believe on prohabition for soda as well as other things? How about coffee, tea of anything with caffine in it? The food police at your service sir!!!!!!

Nita

ps: I am one that does not drink soda ever and I mean ever!!!!

Old 02-14-2010, 02:47 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,433,025 times
Taxing food means I spend less on food. When I know I have to pay taxes I shop conservatively. If I have $50 to spend on food and I know nothing is taxed I spend that whole $50. What is better for my local economy, me buying $40 of food and paying tax to the State who will waste it or spending my whole $50 in Clayton ?

I don't like the Gov picking and choosing what is good and what is not good for me to eat or drink. The FDA will approve anything for human consumption so long as the corporation has the money to make sure it happens. I remember Mountain Dew was approved in the US and you could not buy it in UK/IE, what does that say ?

Old 02-14-2010, 04:08 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,617,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Excellent point.. who do we petition to get them to stop making cokes food-stamp-eligible? Cokes should be a luxury, not a basic human right guaranteed by the government.
Remembering a WTF? moment many years ago when the person ahead of me in the checkout bought a cart full of total junk... with foodstamps. I thought, wow... should just give them basic nutritious food instead of paying them to live on sodas, cheesepuffs, and donuts. That's when I realized that foodstamps were really a subsidy for the junk food merchants.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:36 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,046,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Remembering a WTF? moment many years ago when the person ahead of me in the checkout bought a cart full of total junk... with foodstamps. I thought, wow... should just give them basic nutritious food instead of paying them to live on sodas, cheesepuffs, and donuts. That's when I realized that foodstamps were really a subsidy for the junk food merchants.

I remember as a kid, a bunch of us would ride our bikes around town, the kids with the foodstamps would stop at Allsups and buy chips,candy bars,jerky and cokes and we didnt get anything, we didnt get free money to go buy junk, and even if we did qualify for it, which we probably did, my parents would never accept it.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,200,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good heavens to Betsy, I never indicated I liked him, I couldn't stand him as a matter of fact, and you are right, government is too big, but what does that have to do with taxing food..?? Why is that bad? I do not happen to believe in taxing anything a person absolutely has to have to exist, food particularly.
Let's see.. to exist, we need:
*Food (taxed through GRT unless it's raw, also taxed through income taxes)
*Shelter (taxed through property taxes, and even renters end up paying for them, and also taxed through income taxes)
*Clothing (taxed through GRT, and also taxed through income taxes)
So, would you rather we did away with the GRT for food, shelter, and clothing? And also do away with income taxes?
We can tax things unequally, or tax things equally. I vote for the second one.
Quote:
The sale of food isn't controlled by the government so why should it be taxed?
::cough:: yeah.. isn't controlled..
Quote:
Get rid of the overpaid executives in Sante Fe, cut some funding, but do not add food tax back..
This is why politicians suck.. their bosses want it all.. for free.
Quote:
We need gas taxes to pay for our roads, taxes to support the police and firefighters as well as taxes for our schools, there are other taxes needed as well, food is not one of them. It sounds like you believe in taxing everything and anything..
Better than taxing nothing.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,227,350 times
I always heard that the four major food groups were salt, grease, sugar, and alcohol.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
and that does blow my mind: I think food staamps should be used for only basic food supplies that have some nuitrician. Anything considered junk food should not be allowed. The problem, decided what is and what isn't junk food. Maybe the criteria would be "snack foods" not allowed.

Nita

Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I always heard that the four major food groups were salt, grease, sugar, and alcohol.

you mean they aren't??? Oh darn, I was going to make a Margarita tonight for my dinner, I would get my salt, sugar and alcohol, but would have to depend on the chips for the grease I guess.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico