Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
I did not know that sodas were able to be purchased with food stamps... that makes me really angry. I would be against bottled water too... tap water is fine.

WTH!!
I don't know for sure as everything changes, but you diidn't used to be able to purchase soda or candy..Again, things do change..

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 AM

150 posts, read 317,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Correlation does not imply causation. In New Jersey's case, two of the destination states (Pennsylvania and New York) correlate roughly toward longer commutes from the big city. (Hard to believe, but there are multitudes of people who commute that far, just to get that bigger house). It could be argued then that congestion and housing prices were a bigger or as big a driver.

New Mexicans have no such luxury. With the exception of Las Cruces, no densely populated part of N.M. has the realistic option of commuting in from out of state by car, and certainly no incentive.

10 million Mexicans can't be wrong...

An interesting wikipedia article says that N.M. ranks 6th nationwide already for tax revenue as % of personal income. 8.26%. I had no idea.

The lowest? Those crazy N.H. liberals, taxing at a lowly rate of 3.87%.
The highest? Those austere Alaska conservatives, taxing at a whopping 11.67%.

Weird huh? Oil & gas has a lot to do with these numbers. Still, it shows just how fat dumb and happy governments can get with a petroleum gravy train.
Would you please site your source for your New Jersey comments? I have found some evidence of people moving to penn and ny, but most articles and studies I've read listed Florida as the most popular destination for these Ex-New Jersey residents (at least the rich ones who were most effected by the high income taxes among other luxory property taxes).

Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,220,704 times
Let me get this straight... we want more transplants?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melhoff13 View Post
Would you please site your source for your New Jersey comments? I have found some evidence of people moving to penn and ny, but most articles and studies I've read listed Florida as the most popular destination for these Ex-New Jersey residents (at least the rich ones who were most effected by the high income taxes among other luxory property taxes).
I don't want to speak for Zoidberg, but here is a link:
http://www.hopewelltwp.org/RRR_October_2007.pdf

If you go to page 4 in the PDF document, the list for outflow of population from New Jersey to destination state appears.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 AM

150 posts, read 317,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I don't want to speak for Zoidberg, but here is a link:
http://www.hopewelltwp.org/RRR_October_2007.pdf

If you go to page 4 in the PDF document, the list for outflow of population from New Jersey to destination state appears.
Thanks for the link. I wonder why the politicians in NJ didn't read all that information before they decided to mess with the tax structure which ended up driving the State into more debt.

The numbers in that research came from 2000-2004 I believe. I wonder if the trend continued or changed when they lost 70 billion in income from 2004-2008. I would love to see a study of the last 5 years.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,006,141 times
Let''s stay on topic re the food tax...Ok.

HW

Old 02-19-2010, 07:27 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Let''s stay on topic re the food tax...Ok.

HW
I saw something in the news about the food tax bill having been tabled??? Anyone know for sure? One way or another, they are going to raise our taxes - just a question of which ones.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
According to the Albuquerque Journal:

"A state Senate proposal to levy a tax on certain food items was unanimously rejected by a House committee Wednesday"
ABQjournal.com: Albuquerque Journal

I did not see any mention of it being tabled. Nor any absolute statement that any taxes will be raised for sure.

Rich

Old 02-21-2010, 10:25 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,771 times
We had a snack tax in Maine. Anything considered a snack food...chips, soda, candy, ect.

Another thing we had that helped was a bottle deposit. You paid it on soda and a few other things and when you returned the empty cans and bottles you got your deposit back. Rare to see cans and bottles alongside the roads, like you see here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico