Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,019,849 times

Advertisements

Like flour tortillas? I thnk I heard the idea is to get folks to not buy unhealthy foods?
You know if a tax is passed re these items it will not stop certain groups from purchasing what they have in their regular diet.

And what a hassel for stores to computerize this plan...extra cost.
And the cereal companies are not gonna like it..

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,994,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Like flour tortillas? I thnk I heard the idea is to get folks to not buy unhealthy foods?
You know if a tax is passed re these items it will not stop certain groups from purchasing what they have in their regular diet.

And what a hassel for stores to computerize this plan...extra cost.
And the cereal companies are not gonna like it..

HW
To me, this whole thing is gotten out of hand. Ok, today, we went to a neighborhood breakfast we have every month; we had the buffet which consisted of eggs, waffles, fruit, meats and biscuits and gravy. Are they going to start taxing just the gravy before long? What about the cereals with sugar and who will decide what is good for us and not good. Nanny states has got to stop!!!!

Nita

Old 02-13-2010, 10:40 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,200,298 times
They already tax prepared foods and restaurant visits, so your buffet analogy's moot.

High Fructose Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, Aspartame, and Phosphoric Acid are not food, in my opinion. Want to drink that stuff? Go right ahead, but don't claim that it's necessary for your family's survival, or that it shouldn't be taxed on that basis.

I think all food should be taxed (simpler tax structure that way), but especially stuff that masquerades as food.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,994,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
They already tax prepared foods and restaurant visits, so your buffet analogy's moot.

High Fructose Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, Aspartame, and Phosphoric Acid are not food, in my opinion. Want to drink that stuff? Go right ahead, but don't claim that it's necessary for your family's survival, or that it shouldn't be taxed on that basis.

I think all food should be taxed (simpler tax structure that way), but especially stuff that masquerades as food.
that was meant in jest for heaven's sake. Of course even if prepared food wasn't taxed they are not going to say,we will tax gravy but not potatoes or we will tax the piece of bacon but not the eggs. I was just pointing out this whole thing is getting out of hand in my opinion.. And no, all food should not be taxed. One of the few positive things Richardson did for the state of NM was remove the food tax.

NIta

Old 02-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
One of the few positive things Richardson did for the state of NM was remove the food tax.

NIta
With a budget shortfall, how was that positive, exactly?

I haven't seen any solid numbers, but we can infer that the state government has $125M less to work with, because of the removed food tax.

Our state government is at last count about $650M in the hole.

Our government is indeed too big (that's a big negative for Richardson, since his executive-level appointments are definitely playing their part in making that hole as big as it is), but as long as we have a government in place, taxes will be required to fund it.

I think too many people would like to declare just about everything exempt from taxation to the point where our government has zero funding whatsoever. Food's no more sacred to me than income, property, or gross receipts.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,818,376 times
Quote:

Are they still letting the food stamp crowd use food stamps to buy it? The government can't say cokes are food on one hand for one group and then just for the taxpayers insist it's not food.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Are they still letting the food stamp crowd use food stamps to buy it? The government can't say cokes are food on one hand for one group and then just for the taxpayers insist it's not food.
Excellent point.. who do we petition to get them to stop making cokes food-stamp-eligible? Cokes should be a luxury, not a basic human right guaranteed by the government.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:18 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,924,618 times
Quote:
Cokes should be a luxury, not a basic human right guaranteed by the government.
Cokes (and all other soda pops), including the diet versions, should be banned - period! Never should have been approved for sale in the first place.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Cokes (and all other soda pops), including the diet versions, should be banned - period! Never should have been approved for sale in the first place.
In the grand hierarchy, I'd have to put soda below Tobacco and Alcohol, and if the powers that be have that much trouble getting rid of those, it'd be just about impossible to ban such things.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,046,304 times
this city and state are really starting to bug me, im tired of all these stupid laws, is Martin Chavez running this state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico