Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:53 PM

4,909 posts, read 4,856,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Someone told me that if you do not have allergies when you came to New Mexico, you will after you've been here awhile.
Don't know if it's true or not.
It took my wife 4-5 years to discover her allergy to juniper. I'm a bit slower, it took me 6-7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:22 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,241,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
It took my wife 4-5 years to discover her allergy to juniper. I'm a bit slower, it took me 6-7 years.
Contact lens, can't wear 'em anymore, too much dust or sand blowing in the air.
I see old folks around town wearing those white masks to cover nose and mouth.
Used to only get itchy watery eyes after driving 20 some hours, now it's almost all of the time.
I sneeze alot.
Don't want another pill from the doc, I eat of them enough now.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:15 PM

414 posts, read 1,022,288 times
If you haven't already, you might want to try Loratadine. I'm not a doctor or anything, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but if I've got allergies bad I just pop one of these and I'm much better for the next 12 hours or so. It's supposed to be non-drowsy, and it is for me, but some people have complained of being tired after taking them. Anyways, they're over the counter and you can find them at any grocery store.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,092,378 times
Quote:
Someone told me that if you do not have allergies when you came to New Mexico, you will after you've been here awhile.
Don't know if it's true or not.
sure was for me, I don't remember ever having any problems until I moved to NM and now here in AR.

Nita

Old 03-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
If you haven't already, you might want to try Loratadine. I'm not a doctor or anything, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but if I've got allergies bad I just pop one of these and I'm much better for the next 12 hours or so. It's supposed to be non-drowsy, and it is for me, but some people have complained of being tired after taking them. Anyways, they're over the counter and you can find them at any grocery store.
Is that over the counter? It seems no matter what I take or don't take I am miserable..If I take even the most mild meds I am drugged for hours and if I take nothing I sneeze, my eyes run and I have a headache all the time. It is so nice to see spring come, but I just want to get past this next month..DAMN!!!

Nita

Old 03-07-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Is that over the counter? It seems no matter what I take or don't take I am miserable..If I take even the most mild meds I am drugged for hours and if I take nothing I sneeze, my eyes run and I have a headache all the time. It is so nice to see spring come, but I just want to get past this next month..DAMN!!!

Nita
I'm positive, you can just go into any grocery store and pick some up. It's most commonly known as Claritin, but you can find much cheaper 3rd-party Loratidine that works just as well. Like I said, I can't comment on how you'll react to it, but I've never been drowsy with it. People I know have had drowsiness problems with it though.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:45 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,241,837 times
Quote:
I'm positive, you can just go into any grocery store and pick some up. It's most commonly known as Claritin, but you can find much cheaper 3rd-party Loratidine that works just as well. Like I said, I can't comment on how you'll react to it, but I've never been drowsy with it. People I know have had drowsiness problems with it though.
I would have to check the label. Since I have some medical issues, I can't take most OTC meds..
My old doc told me to take alleve once, and it interacted adversely with my other scrips.
Have a coronary problem.
I almost can't even take aspirin. Was on simvastatin but they took me off of that due to excessive bleeding.
Funny how the human body sort of rejects medicines engineered to fix you up.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I would have to check the label. Since I have some medical issues, I can't take most OTC meds..
My old doc told me to take alleve once, and it interacted adversely with my other scrips.
Have a coronary problem.
I almost can't even take aspirin. Was on simvastatin but they took me off of that due to excessive bleeding.
Funny how the human body sort of rejects medicines engineered to fix you up.
To be honest, I can't really blame you body. Most allergy medicines are meant to suppress your body's immune system so you don't react so violently to foreign objects...I guess your body doesn't like that

Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks, it really sounds pretty much like what I am taking now, but I might check to see if the ingredients are the same..thank God I only have to put up with this crap a few weeks a year. I feel for all of you who are stuck all spring and again in the fall..

Nita

Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,207,166 times
Allergy shots anyone?

They actually do work, but to many they're worse than the symptoms. Plus, acquainting your body with harmless pollen is better than taking your immune system offline for a few weeks.

Speaking of which, anyone know any doctors making available allergy drops? They're popular in Europe and at least one U.S.-based doctor makes them available off-label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico