Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:37 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,237,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think rattlesnakes are probably more dangerous here in North Central TX where I live, as there are lots of tall weeds for them to hide in. You're more likely to see them first in NM.
Yes, people should avoid tall grass.
Here's a cure for those really afraid of snakes, snake proof boots

Snake Boots.com -- Only the Best in Snake Proof Protection-Chippewa Snake Boots-Rocky Snake Boots- Danner and Justin Snake Boots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 12:40 AM

185 posts, read 489,026 times
I miss the Pintada Kid for threads like this-he'd give us the recipe for rattler stew and how to make an eye dropper from the fangs. Ah, the good old days.

Anyway, you'll get lots of good opinions on where to locate and tons of great advice. Just one reality check FYI-we moved from Minnesota with our 4 Arabians and got a bit of sticker shock on the cost of grain and hay here. Which stands to reason since essentially all of the grass is brought in from Colorado or Midwest-at around $12-$15 a bale. Quite a bit different from $4 that we were used to. But you can get alfalfa readily, if your horses can stand that much protein-it's excellent. Also, don't overgraze the land-when the grass is eaten down, it's pretty much done until the next season. Your vet will be some distance away (ours in Alamo, about an hour at the quickest) so you'll need to have a pretty good supply of Bute, etc yourself, and hopefully some good neighbors in case you have real trouble. On the good side, horses can stay out most of the time (except when the cold winds hit or the Monsoon season kicks in) and you won't have nearly as much trouble with worm concerns (poop dries up pretty fast here!) Also extremely horse friendly country-if you live near the BLM or forests, just take off and ride for days if you want. A lot less bugs than what we were used to, very few mosquitoes, biting flies, gnats, etc.

Good decision to move here, you won't regret it!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,638,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocona View Post
dont want a lot of cold and snow....
Well it's a beautiful day today in Southern New Mexico as it's supposed to be in the 60's as i may go play blasketball later on today outside and also the large tree in the frontyard is already sprouting leaves as springtime is just around the corner and so for the lurkers who live in the northern states who hate snow you might want to check us out here in Southern New Mexico .

Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,896 times
You all have some good points to look at.... I moving for west virginia in a small town dont have but 30 miles to drive to town.... just wanted to stay away from some of the bigger place ....for the land cost more .... dont know about out there but everthing get to be a subdivision and dont want be in them.....does the small towns have farmer market in them...Iam kinda stuck with having to move close to some of the places I name at frist because of my work....and for the lady that has arabians thats what I had,,,,,

Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,600,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocona View Post
A small town of 3000 and less more on the less side...somewhere it dont cost a lot for some land.. The company I work for has offices in roswell,carlsbad,farmington,gallup,albuquergue,ala mogordo,,, so I wont mine drive a hour or so to and from work,,,,
Somewhere around Alamagordo if you can get a job there. Plenty of cheapish land (though that is always relative) and your choice of mountains or desert.

Maybe you don't mind driving an hour to work... but you should. If nothing else it costs you at least 25 cents per mile... not considering your time.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 PM

21 posts, read 52,022 times
I moved from Lubbock, TX to Roswell and have lived here a little over a year. Like other posters stated it is hard to meet people in SE NM. I travel most of the SE part of the state and have to say the warm weather here is a plus. If you dont like wind then thats more of a reason not to come here. But if doesnt bother you then no problem. I went to College in Portales which is a small town. I would recommend there if you can go with your job. Its about 13k people and they have a farmers market. Clovis which is a little bigger is about 20 minutes away. Also Lubbock is about an hour and a half away if you need a bigger city feel for the weekends.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:51 PM

6 posts, read 8,818 times
Silver City looks very appealing. Are there any cancer clinics there? I see it has one hospital , any cancer clinics? I'd be seeking nursing employment . The Silver City web site is very well done. Kudos to your city.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmars View Post
Silver City looks very appealing. Are there any cancer clinics there?
Gila Regional Medical Center: Cancer Center (http://www.grmc.org/medical_services_tmp.php?CID=33 - broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico