Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,071 times

Advertisements

Yes, you might be right about the barren part, but in between, the lava beds up by socorro, or the Cibola National Forest for a chance to see antelope or oryx herds.
Gotta admit, that loop is alot of ground to cover in 8 days.
Elephant Butte volcanic dome, monticello point rockhouse, Geronimo Springs Museum, hot mineral bathing in geo thermal waters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 PM

9 posts, read 18,268 times
A must is the Tramway It is awesome

Old 03-12-2010, 04:27 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,058 times
I had been keeping in mind that this person is probably a student on spring break. Of course faculty and staff also get spring breaks along with the students. But I know my interests were a lot different when I was young than in later years.

Quote:
As this is spring break, it's the only time I can go

Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 PM

9 posts, read 22,263 times
Thanks to all for the responses! My boyfriend and I are both graduate students, and we're currently in Silver City after a long day in the Gila National Forest - took the 15 up to the dwellings then the 35 back around (Lake Roberts) to the 152 (Ft. Bayard National Historic site). Beautiful day with a little snow

Tues, planning to hit up City of Rocks before going to Las Cruces... not quite sure what to do in LC, but we'll be going to the White Sands late in the afternoon till sunset. Suggestions?

Wed, heading to ABQ area to stay through Thurs... would also love to know must-sees/dos!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:38 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,175 times
City of Rocks is amazing. It is in the middle of nowhere, but definetely worth seeing.

Ruidoso is beautiful and normally I would recommend it, but it will be really crowded this week because of Spring Break. 222 inches of snow so far this year at Ski Apache which is just about a 15-20 mile drive from mid-town Ruidoso.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoliz6 View Post
Wed, heading to ABQ area to stay through Thurs... would also love to know must-sees/dos!
Any answer here should be directed at the route you plan to drive after leaving White Sands.
Are you returning to Las Cruces before heading to Albq, or are you planning to travel up US-54 to get there? There are different "must see" suggestions, depending on the route you plan to follow, how much time you have to linger, and how far off your route you can deviate.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 AM

9 posts, read 22,263 times
Will be returning to Las Cruces, taking the I-25 up to get to ABQ. Thinking of stopping at Elephant Butte State Park, but not sure if it's worth it?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Will be returning to Las Cruces, taking the I-25 up to get to ABQ. Thinking of stopping at Elephant Butte State Park, but not sure if it's worth it?
Not really, unless you plan on fishing, and it's really too early in the year to fish at the Butte. The last time I tried this early for stripers, I got skunked. It's kind of nice to drive around, but you can see that from you car window. There's not a lot to actually do.

I'd be more inclined to head up to Hillsboro, on Rt 152, and hike up Hillsboro Peak. I've heard this is one of the very finest hikes in the entire state. I plan on this hike this upcoming Memorial Day weekend.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
You'll definitely want to drive into Truth or Consequences, then on to the dam and see the elephant in the water. As has already been said, there isn't anything to really do there other than sight see, but I'd not pass up that chance.

Bosque del Apache is next in line up the interstate and worth at least a drive through. Not all that scenic but there is a visitor center and access trails to water's edge if there are birds still wintering there.

At San Antonio, there is nothing to see but the little OWL BAR there has a reputation for its green chile cheese burgers if it's anywhere near lunch time.

Other than that, there isn't much worth getting off the interstate for until you reach Albq. You'll find plenty there to occupy your time, as well as Santa Fe, and you hadn't mentioned going to Taos but that should be a must for a day trip.

Have fun!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:46 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,071 times
City of Rocks:
Boulders thrown to this location by a violent volcanic eruption.

Elephant Butte, a volcanic dome.

Hot Springs (Truth or Consequences) geo thermal activity to this very day, come soak in hot mineral waters to relax.

Aden Crater:
http://www.geo.utep.edu/loca/Volcanos/ADEN.HTML

Where is it?
http://maps.google.com/?sll=32.06944...&spn=0.05,0.05
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico