Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:36 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,079 times

Advertisements

Hmmm.... If people want someone to pump their gas for them, let them go to stations that do that. I, however, am just crazy enough to fill up on my own.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
So, you always use the self-check-out at the supermarket? I lament whenever customer service falls by the wayside and businesses provide less and less help and expect customers to do everything themselves. Courtesy is a thing of the past. For one, gas pumping service would be a great help for the elderly and handicapped. After a time my mom could not pump her own gas and it was a pain that I always had to do it for her. I'm not saying it should be the law as in Oregon, but pumping service should be widely available as an option.

According to AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report, an average gallon of regular gas in Oregon today is higher than in New Mexico by 10 cents, but cheaper than in California or Washington.

New Mexico: $2.783
Oregon: $2.882
Washington: $2.991
California: $3.081

Now, I don't know if there's another charge associated with the Oregon pumping law that's not part of the above figure.

if I dont have too many items then I will use the self check-out, and If I do have more than 20 items, and the self check-out lines arnt busy, then I will use it, but I wont use it if its going to in-convience someone and I have more than 20 items. I just dont like being waited on by people when Im perfectly capable of doing something myself.

I can understand it being needed by the elderly but there are enough stupid laws in this state and city that we dont need anymore.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
I use self checkout where available

I don't want to be paying more for gas for someone to pump it for me, it isn't rocket science and I've never been lit on fire pumping gas, or been robbed by leaving my car there for a moment..

Oregon would probably have lower gas prices by a fair bit if they didn't have that law.

I would vote no.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
According to AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report, an average gallon of regular gas in Oregon today is higher than in New Mexico by 10 cents, but cheaper than in California or Washington.

New Mexico: $2.783
Oregon: $2.882
Washington: $2.991
California: $3.081

Now, I don't know if there's another charge associated with the Oregon pumping law that's not part of the above figure.
I would be deadset against requiring gas to be pumped by someone else.

That said, there is something else at play at these differentials - taxes. Here are the state taxes per gallon for those 4 states (and above amounts without taxes):
NM - 37.4c ($2.409)
OR - 43.4c ($2.448)
WA - 55.9c ($2.432)
CA - 65.0c ($2.431)

Old 03-18-2010, 10:05 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
The law is ignorant and arrogant and so are the many Oregonians that have voted and passed this law over and over again. I would definitely say NM is better off with pumping their own gas.

The law in Oregon is just a sample of how the state brains washes and controls its citizens. Many here think attendants pumping gas is providing jobs. Oh please pumping gas for your lifes work at minimum wage. Oregon has about the 2nd worse unemployment in America and has for years. I drive across the river into Washington and pump my own gas at their stations. I have never been comfortable waiting in the long gas lines here in Oregon, and giving my credit or debit card to some of these shady looking attendants in ORegon. Basically I don't like the feeling of Oregon telling me what I can and cannot do. I see the much broader picture its the same with the No sales tax here, but an almost 10% income tax even on Pensions in Oregon. Its a mindset here and a very controlling and arrogant one.

I can guarantee if NM went to being a No Pumping your own gas state there would be other controlling policies adopted in your state.

I believe other than Oregon the only other state that can't pump is NJ. Im not sure in NJ if its every station or just certain ones such as on the Turnpike. Oregon its every station in the state and you wait to get your gas in the majority of them.

Its one thing to have a lane open for full service with attenants, but an entirely other matter for a state to force a person to deal with Oregon's method.

Hopefully NM or any other state in the country will never adopt Oregon's communists methods and mindsets.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:31 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The law is ignorant and arrogant and so are the many Oregonians that have voted and passed this law over and over again. I would definitely say NM is better off with pumping their own gas.

The law in Oregon is just a sample of how the state brains washes and controls its citizens. Many here think attendants pumping gas is providing jobs. Oh please pumping gas for your lifes work at minimum wage. Oregon has about the 2nd worse unemployment in America and has for years. I drive across the river into Washington and pump my own gas at their stations. I have never been comfortable waiting in the long gas lines here in Oregon, and giving my credit or debit card to some of these shady looking attendants in ORegon. Basically I don't like the feeling of Oregon telling me what I can and cannot do. I see the much broader picture its the same with the No sales tax here, but an almost 10% income tax even on Pensions in Oregon. Its a mindset here and a very controlling and arrogant one.

I can guarantee if NM went to being a No Pumping your own gas state there would be other controlling policies adopted in your state.

I believe other than Oregon the only other state that can't pump is NJ. Im not sure in NJ if its every station or just certain ones such as on the Turnpike. Oregon its every station in the state and you wait to get your gas in the majority of them.

Its one thing to have a lane open for full service with attenants, but an entirely other matter for a state to force a person to deal with Oregon's method.

Hopefully NM or any other state in the country will never adopt Oregon's communists methods and mindsets.
New Jersey has the same exact set of laws, stemmed from a paternalistic, 'big brother can wipe your ass better than you know how' mentality. It seems, however, that most in New Jersey are very happy with full service mandated only gas, which tells me that above all else, the human species resists changes, and adheres to habit, irrespective of locale. I've lived in New Jersey, and have family in Oregon, and having been to both places, New Jersey is even less logical, because there are more people, and they are mostly in a bigger hurry than in Oregon, yet what would seem to be logical, most resist in that state. It's never made any sense to me.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Default why can't I stop rambling on and on...

Jimrob1, you're old enough to remember before "self-serve" was the norm, when people didn't pump their own gas, when "service station" meant something... nobody called it brainwashing then. Sometimes the attendant would even squeegee your windshield for you without being asked. Do they do that in Oregon?

I like the system in Spain (the only country in Europe where I've rented a car), there are service stations along the main state highways that are like a pit stop. Someone is there waiting for you in lanes like at a toll plaza in the US, only off to the side. They signal exactly where you stop and pump the gas for you and take your payment. Works great. Very quick and efficient. No loudspeakers telling you to "come inside" for a slushie or whatever that you don't need. Other rest stops along the highways have really good restaurants.

In New Jersey the governor proposed allowing self-serve a few years ago, but the citizens revolted against it.

I was at an Oregon gas station only once, just driving through in a hurry on I-5 from Tacoma to Albuquerque helping my nephew move. I didn't know about the law and got out of the car and started toward the pump. This guy came at me and it freaked me out, I thought he wanted to rob me or something, then he told me I couldn't pump my own gas. What a relief.

But, to my knowledge going to a "no pump" law in New Mexico has never been proposed. So why are we discussing this?

Last edited by aries63; 03-18-2010 at 11:05 AM..

Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink 'Service' only if desired

I discovered the Oregon law when filling up once and being told by the attendant I could not. It took a moment to register. Since then my experience has generally been positive, with most attendants approximating the 'service' of years past when full service meant something. More often than not they'll even clean the windshield, or at least offer.

That said, I would prefer to be able to opt out of such service. Price aside, I feel I can do this task better and faster myself. I once made the point of driving between Yreka, CA and Vancouver, WA without refilling for precisely this reason. If more usually reasonable, I will stop in need, but if refueling in Washington feasible it is always my first choice.

New Mexico should at least have the option. As is the market seems to have spoken, with price alone possibly the primary factor.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:06 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
This would provide many jobs.
The cost of providing these ****ty jobs far exceeds what they are worth, else people would *choose* to pay extra to have someone pump their gas.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:14 PM

212 posts, read 689,017 times
I'd rather do it myself. Get my own gas and GO as opposed to having to wait around for someone else to do it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico