Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:22 PM

185 posts, read 489,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
When I was in town the other day it looked like the plans to bring a grocery store back to town are not going well. There were obvious signs of work having been done - or in progress - but a long way from being in business again.

The Heritage Museum was closed up tight and looked as if no one is maintaining it now - and that was on a Sat morning on a gorgeous day. Also the coffee shop that was once owned by Karla and Joe had a closed sign on it, and that was at the noon hour.

Hi Jax,

Sounds like you hit us on a bad day! Well, a long term management agreement was signed on the grocery store with an ABQ firm a couple of months ago so hopefully that is a done deal. Time will tell but we're hopefull! And La Brewja is only open during the week but you owe yourself a visit there-personally we like it better than Sacred Grounds, and that's saying a lot! Breakfast burritos are fantastic and it is a great place to spend a few hours to visit the locals (if you have time). Malkersons are really putting a lot in for the artists, have opened an adobe "artists retreat" in the area which is fantastic. And other than Fay's Outpost, is there anywhere else you can get a really great CCB other than the Buckhorn or Owl in the area?

But you're right-most of the museums and visitor stations, etc are manned by volunteers. So it's sometimes hit and miss, but if you want to go through call the number on the door-someone will come open up for you. The stories they can tell are amazing. And there are areas of town that, well, let's just say they didn't need much touch-up before they filmed Eli. But I guess what sold us is people really do care about this little town (coming from the Minneapolis area we really notice this a lot!) and that's what makes it special. We love running up to Ruidoso and really appreciate all the great cafes, activities, and things that make Ruidoso so special but sure enjoy that drive down 37 back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:56 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,928,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
Hi Jax,

And La Brewja is only open during the week but you owe yourself a visit there-personally we like it better than Sacred Grounds, and that's saying a lot!
Odd that they wouldn't be open on weekends when they would benefit more from the Ruidoso tourist trade spillover? As you know, restaurants in Ruidoso tend to close on Mon/Tue if they need days off, not weekends when they do MOST of their business.

I used to frequent the coffee shop regularly back when it was known as 'Zozo Joe's or whatever the official name was. I can't remember their last names, but a young couple named Karla and Joe began the business before selling out and moving to Iowa or wherever they had come from originally. At the time it was a really gutsy move on their part, opening a "yuppy" establishment there.

The town has lost quite a few of it's most active artists after having gone through something of a renaissance in the early 2000s. Some passed away and others passed on. Some were long-time residents, others were there but a few years. In the meantime, others keep moving there and hopefully it will eventually see a lasting renaissance. As long as it is the county seat it will always have something to keep people there.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:48 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,940,069 times
I might be interested in renting one of the old houses for a winter residence in the near future. Cold and dry beats cold and wet.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,114,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM
Those of us who use cash should get a discount. ...
I think the credit card companies make sure that if a vendor gets
to use their card, that they also cannot give cash discounts.
This is probably against antitrust laws and is certainly unethical.

It costs the vendor 3% to accept a credit card.
That's why you can't buy gold with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM
I use credit cards extensively as needed....
I use credit cards the give me ailrline miles whenever and whereever I can.
I like to fly First Class. I NEVER use them for free coach tickets.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:17 PM

185 posts, read 489,820 times
Default That's what we were thinking as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I might be interested in renting one of the old houses for a winter residence in the near future. Cold and dry beats cold and wet.
Hi Greg,

We plan to build on some land we have in Alto in about 3 years, and thought about just renting a place until we were ready to take that step. However, what we found if you can get a nice little adobe pretty reasonably in town, so we decided to go that way instead. If you can swing it, you might want to consider that. There are lots of people looking to rent, and not that many to buy so you might be able to do some good. Just a thought...

Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 AM

I just posted this on another thread.

I've thought the ideal for me would be to find and buy a defunct auto dealership in some small town/city and live in the office and play in the garage. I need more room for the tools than I do for me. Build a shed in the back yard for the forge and anvil and I would be all set. I figure my retirement will let me get back to working iron (I have experience with machine tools as well as a hammer and fire) which I really like to do.

We all do a little dreaming now and then.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,928,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

We all do a little dreaming now and then.
It's a VERY doable dream for this area. I know of quite a few individuals who create all sorts of objects for sale using such things as old horseshoes, farm equipment, sawmill junk, etc.

Blacksmiths and farriers are still in demand for their skills here where horses are part of the local business climate.

I know of at least one person who has long had a viable business and he's located along a highway east of Roswell in a remote old service station where he peddles signs of all sizes to the local ranchers and passerby. He custom designs signs and they can be seen at entrances to ranch properties all around the region.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,114,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW
... find and buy a defunct auto dealership in some small
town/city and live in the office and play in the garage.
I'm confident that you don't have to do the "hair shirt" thing.

There are lots of places that have upstairs residential places
and downstairs service/retail space. Even if such places are
only 0.01% of the total, I'm sure you won't have to sleep
under a desk.

Um, ... getting your wife on-board with it is likely to be the
harder task to complete. .... < clears throat >

Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 AM

The moving full time to NM is going to be more difficult than the living in a shop part.

In any case there is a vacation scheduled for late summer/early fall in order to look around the mid Rio Grande area. Unless she says I want to go to Taos. Then we drive the Enchanted Circle with one of us driving and the other looking at a geology map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico