Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 AM

18,261 posts, read 25,954,600 times

Advertisements

With me junipers are bad enough but the russian olive trees are the worst. Phawk and catman are right about Benadryl. It would work for a while but I would be half asleep for a few hours afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,483,623 times
Suffer.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 AM

9,384 posts, read 20,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
With me junipers are bad enough but the russian olive trees are the worst. Phawk and catman are right about Benadryl. It would work for a while but I would be half asleep for a few hours afterwards.
I've never dabbled in illicit drugs before, but I have taken Benadryl, and I can't help wonder if that's what they feel like. The last time I took it (and there won't be another time) I felt like watching the acid scene in "Easy Rider" where the protagonists are crying in the graveyard.

I don't know how Benadryl is legal. Everyone I've talked to gets really weirded out taking that stuff.

Incidentally, I suffered these allergies living in New Jersey. Once I was able to leave that state, I effectively rid myself of any allergies. Our bodies are different, I suppose. I had to actually take shots weekly to attempt to mollify my aversion to mold, which is my greatest allergen.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
I've used a neti pot. It works really well. Flushes out your sinuses with saline water. I used it a few times the first week of my symptoms (about a month ago) and have been fine since then.

Other people swear that eating honey from local beekeepers helps them. I have to try it.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 AM

18,261 posts, read 25,954,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I've used a neti pot. It works really well. Flushes out your sinuses with saline water. I used it a few times the first week of my symptoms (about a month ago) and have been fine since then.

Other people swear that eating honey from local beekeepers helps them. I have to try it.
I'm all for those type remedies, never heard about the honey thing. Mike 0421 is right on the side effects on benadryl. It's been a couple decades since I tried it, and it worked for a while. But the drowsiness I did not like at all, plus the fact it interferes with other drugs and for me it's high blood pressure.. The other store pills like Coriciden, Sudafed, Dristan, and those types just never really worked for me. For now allegra is ok, thank heavens it finally went generic! And I only take it when I have to!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:49 PM

433 posts, read 1,145,958 times
The sinucleanse is like a neti pot except you lean forward and squeeze the bottle instead of turning your head to the side and pouring. Because there is a little pressure behind the water I feel it flushes better. It goes in one nostril and out the other for both of them. My daughter has used both and says that she prefers the sinucleanse. Look up the info on nasal irrigation. They have proven that it is very effective. It's not just for allergies. If you start it when you feel you are getting sick it also helps with that. Neti pots or sinucleanse are both good. The salts you buy are buffered with baking soda so generally it doesn't burn. It is very soothing to have that gunk out. I have also seen recipes where you can make your own salt mix to use. I've never tried it but I might someday. Having the salts premeasured is just convenient. When my nose is a little sniffly or itchy I know to use it. My hubby swears by Zicam but you have to start it a couple of weeks before the season hits and make sure you keep using it. I am just too scatterbrained for that. I have a tough enough time remembering to take the med for diabetes. The pills have never been real effective for me. Either that or the side effects get to me. I was even hallucinating one time that I had a LONG worm like a nematode coming out of me.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:02 PM

9,384 posts, read 20,872,464 times
My wife is taking Zyrtec, and truthfully, she isn't experiencing that much relief. Of course, there's always the Benadryl. That stuff does work, but it comes with a big cost.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:02 AM

908 posts, read 2,858,111 times
The honey thing only helps you if you are allergic to the pollen that the bees who make the honey are in contact with and you eat the honey daily. It's basically low level exposure therapy. We use honey made in Los Lunas, but mostly to support a local business and cut down on the processed sugar (we use it in our coffee/tea.).

Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,241,899 times
mike0421: If illicit drugs made one feel the same way Benadryl does, no one would use them at all. I use Benadryl as a last resort, but I try not to.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 PM

792 posts, read 1,180,534 times
Allegra D, works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico