Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM

18 posts, read 51,358 times

Advertisements

My wife, Cathy, and daughter are flying out to New Mexico next week to explore Alamogordo! Cathy and I were there last February and were truly enchanted with the place. They are flying into Albuquerque late Monday evening, and I would appreciate any advice on the best route from there to Alamogordo. While most of the roads we traveled were just fine, we made the uniformed choice (i.e., "mistake") of taking 152 (if memory serves me right) from Truth or Consequences to Silver City. The view was breathtaking--as were some of the turns and heights! I would prefer my loved ones have a better road as they will be driving after dark. It seems that 25 down to 380 and then onto 54 would be safe and quick--but I am asking for a second opinion.

As an aside, Cathy and I are truly hoping to move from gray-skies, high-humidity, snow-covered Ohio to the sunshine and relaxation of New Mexico--before the end of this summer. This trip will allow Cat to make some final decisions about where and what we relocate to. I understand it's generally windy this time of the year; is there anything we need to know to cope with the wind?

We're getting excited.
Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 04:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
It seems that 25 down to 380 and then onto 54 would be safe and quick--but I am asking for a second opinion.

That is the way I always go--and I'd recommend it to anyone else, too, especially after dark.

Enjoy your trip, and have fun, OK?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
I just drove both 356 and 152 to and from Silver City in the last couple weeks.
356 is really a mountain road compared to the more gentle 152...

I agree with Cathy that your I-25 / 380 / 54 route will be best to Alamogordo.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:27 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
US 380 and 54 is certainly the shortest route but after dark it is not a route I enjoy driving. From San Antonio (NM) to Alamo is all 2-lane and not that well paved of a route, to say nothing of the simple fact that it's narrow. Anyone contemplating that drive should be darned sure they are fully alert and not otherwise tired (or impaired). Better option would be to overnight in Albuq and drive down the next morning, IMO.

(I'm puzzled by the OP's reference to Silver City since that's in a totally opposite direction from Alamogordo and not a route one would take coming from Albuq???)

Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 PM

259 posts, read 851,185 times
The road from Carrizozo to Tularosa needs some help. Wife and I drove from Alamo to Socorro and back on Sunday with a stop at the Valley of Fires Recreation Area. Looks like some construction is taking place on 54, but all lanes were open on Sunday.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Lot's of animals out there too. Be careful. Shame it's not during the day it's an interesting drive.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
OP - I hope your wife and daughter have a wonderful trip.

I will defer to everyone else on the best route as I've not done that trip myself

Next time you come out, you might want to consider flying into El Paso - it is a lot closer to Alamogordo - and it is a really nice airport.

Last edited by TigerLily24; 03-31-2010 at 08:07 AM..

Old 03-31-2010, 08:04 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
... flying into El Paso - it is a lot closer to Alamogordo - and it is a really nice airport.

And to add to that, the highway from El Paso to Alamogordo is a divided four lane all the way with a 70mph speed limit as opposed to the lower limits on two lane highways in NM.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:45 PM

18 posts, read 51,358 times
Default Thanks!

Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Next time, we will fly into El Paso; however, Southwest flights leave Ohio a later for ABQ, which was my wife's preference as flights to El Paso were too early for her.

Jaxart: My point was that last year when my wife and I were driving around NM, we looked at the map and saw what seemed like a great road from Truth or Consequences to Silver City. The map didn't lie, but that road was very crooked and very steep. You just can tell how great the road is from a map sometimes.

I've also told my wife and daughter to stay in ABQ when they arrive if they feel like it. I agree that the trip would be much better during daylight hours. I think, though, that they prefer driving it in the dark. Who knows?

My wife and daughter are really looking forward to this trip next week.

Again, many thanks to all!

Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,826 times
If you go through San antionio make sure you stop at the owl Bar Owl Bar - San Antonio, NM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico