Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,147 times

Advertisements

Katie,
I lived on the rez in Crownpoint for several years. I am also white. My mother worked for IHS there. As someone else posted, the people are pretty welcoming to those that are there to help. You will no doubt recieve many propositions, however you shouldn't worry. The Natives will either show you respect or ignore you altogether. You will find that a lot of people panhandle there. You will be asked for change, money, a ride, a beer...It's up to you how to handle that, but it's understood that whites are suckers and you can take advantage of them. There are problems with burglaries, but not while people are in the house. If you leave on vacation...maybe... Avoid teenagers and the early 20's crowd. There will be plenty of other heath care and other professionals there to show you the ropes. If you are passionate about helping people, Natives in particular, you should go for it. Keep your head up and show some confidence and you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,406 times
I understand your concerns but your safety is not guaranteed in any city in the United States. I worked as a nurse in Bloomington, Illinois years ago, a small college town and there was a deranged maniac laying under the nurses cars at night and then using a box cutter to slice there ankles as they were getting in their cars and then raping them. He was finally caught but not something you would really expect for small midwest town America. Really the people on the reservations are just that, people like us. Every nationality has their cultural differences and we need to be mindful and respectful but I think it is a stereotype to wonder if you are safe simply because it is a Native American place.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabell Jane View Post
I understand your concerns but your safety is not guaranteed in any city in the United States. I worked as a nurse in Bloomington, Illinois years ago, a small college town and there was a deranged maniac laying under the nurses cars at night and then using a box cutter to slice there ankles as they were getting in their cars and then raping them. He was finally caught but not something you would really expect for small midwest town America. Really the people on the reservations are just that, people like us. Every nationality has their cultural differences and we need to be mindful and respectful but I think it is a stereotype to wonder if you are safe simply because it is a Native American place.
Thanks for that blood-chilling nurse story, Annabell, but the original poster made this inquiry 3 years ago LOL.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Default What happened

I wonder if the OP is still on CD and if she would let us know what has happened since her post.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Last Activity: 07-09-2011
Last Posted: 01-17-2011 in the Colorado Forum.

You can find that by looking at katie_c_s users profile...

Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 1,614 times
I'm reading these messages and wondering why some commenters acted so defensive rather than helping soemone who doesnt know that much about the area.

I might be moving from LA to Gallup/NM. I v read another forum where they said ' to be v careful after dust and there are many drunk drivers and be aware of some people who hanging around and try to be too friendly, etc'.

So, yes I'm freaking out. I dont know should i move/take the job or should i forget about it since there are many people who said that Gallup is not safe !!
The huge differences between big cities and small one (like Gallup in NM) is that there are always people in the street so if you get lost, you r not on your own, if something happen to you, people would notice it.

So, please try to answer me without being defensive, put yourself in my show.
Would you move to Gallup?
if it is not safe for female, which area is?

Thank you so much.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:32 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,509,376 times
I lived in Gallup for several years starting as a single, 21yo female. I visit every so often because my husband comes from the area and his family lives on rez lands just 8 miles from town. There is a lot of alcohol abuse, and a lot of people asking for money. Because it is a fairly small town (growing bigger by the day), you'll probably stand out, at least initially, as being an outsider. I don't think it's unsafe in general, but there are certain areas of town I learned to avoid at certain times of the day/night. I also spent quite a bit of time in places I probably should have avoided

If I wanted to go back to Gallup, I would (and wouldn't feel unsafe about it). I don't want to be in Gallup at this stage in my life, however, since I am happy where I am right now. If I were you and I had a job and had freedom in where I lived, I'd go. I did meet my husband there

Have you ever visited? Lots of people (particularly in health and education) move from elsewhere to work in Gallup. They often don't stay *too* long (1-4 years), but sometimes they do. Groups not from the Gallup area originally tend to be much more transient.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,599,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lili-usa View Post
The huge differences between big cities and small one (like Gallup in NM) is that there are always people in the street so if you get lost, you r not on your own, if something happen to you, people would notice it.
If you get lost, the odds are very low you will run into a predator. Most people are decent, like everywhere.

Quote:
So, please try to answer me without being defensive, put yourself in my show.
Would you move to Gallup?
if it is not safe for female, which area is?
I'd move to Gallup, and I would feel safe, but I feel safe everywhere I go. And I'm not a female. You don't say what part of LA you'd be moving from, but some parts are definitely worse than Gallup.

What areas are you interested in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico