Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM

265 posts, read 810,052 times

Advertisements

We bought a car in Austin, Texas then brought it home to NM to register. We made our plans clear to the Texas dealer, so he didn't charge us any sales tax. We paid the tax here in NM when we registered the vehicle. It was a perfectly smooth process, no problem whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 05:24 PM

429 posts, read 1,478,931 times
Thanks everyone. I'll pass it along to my husband.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:18 AM

15 posts, read 27,588 times
Default Registering a Vehicle in New Mexico...

Anyone know if it is possible to get a NM drivers license and register a vehicle if your living in an RV on your own vacant land? Plan on calling motor vehicle department, however, thought I might get a quicker, simpler answer here.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:44 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,922,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundspeed View Post
Anyone know if it is possible to get a NM drivers license and register a vehicle if your living in an RV on your own vacant land?
Assuming all of your paper work is in order and you have proof of insurance there should be no problem. You'll need the vehicle at the MVD for them to verify the vehicle's identification number (VIN).

Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,482,198 times
You'll need multiple documents to prove residency - see MVD New Mexico - Licensing - Proof of New Mexico Residency (http://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/Drivers/Licensing/Proof-of-NM-Residency.html - broken link), in addition to proof of identification.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:55 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,239,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundspeed View Post
Anyone know if it is possible to get a NM drivers license and register a vehicle if your living in an RV on your own vacant land? Plan on calling motor vehicle department, however, thought I might get a quicker, simpler answer here.
Hmmm, rent/lease receipt, utility invoice/bill, address on a checkbook, any official mail which has the physical address on it, proof of insurance with the physical address of the insured.

Some places in New Mexico are unique. Take my situation for example.
I have a physical address, but our local postal service does not deliver to my physical address, therefore, I have to give my physical address, as well as my po box number below it on official forms, like my auto insurance, the veterans administration, etc... hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 PM

405 posts, read 1,336,447 times
I simply read the title of this thread and nearly died laughing. My husband has been driving a car without registration for a YEAR because the State of NM has provided every single road block possible for him to register. Be prepared to make a least two or three trips to the MVD before they will accept anything you have to offer. For example, you cannot bring in a student loan bill from Wells Fargo AND a bank statement from Wells Fargo because they're the SAME bank. Go figure. I tried. Oh..and you cannot bring in an insurance statement because that is "not a bill". Go figure. Best of luck to you. Welcome to the nightmare.
I will say the comment above is correct..you HAVE to have your vehicle there for them to check the VIN. And don't raise your voice..because the lady with glasses will tell you "You had better bring it down a notch". Haha!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,239,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
I simply read the title of this thread and nearly died laughing. My husband has been driving a car without registration for a YEAR because the State of NM has provided every single road block possible for him to register. Be prepared to make a least two or three trips to the MVD before they will accept anything you have to offer. For example, you cannot bring in a student loan bill from Wells Fargo AND a bank statement from Wells Fargo because they're the SAME bank. Go figure. I tried. Oh..and you cannot bring in an insurance statement because that is "not a bill". Go figure. Best of luck to you. Welcome to the nightmare.
I will say the comment above is correct..you HAVE to have your vehicle there for them to check the VIN. And don't raise your voice..because the lady with glasses will tell you "You had better bring it down a notch". Haha!
Nearly the same things happened to me. I'm wondering now if it's like that all over the state? Or is it just at a few locations where they prefer to exhibit their authority?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,897,500 times
I took all documentation with me, and even with the long line in Alamogordo, I was out in 90 minutes. Once it was my turn in line, things went quickly.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,840,967 times
Since 1998 I have registered seven vehicles in New Mexico, some which I brought in from out of state, some which I acquired in New Mexico.

I haven't had any problems each time. My wife prepares the paperwork, makes a lunch for me and puts it in my X-Men lunch box, kiss's me on the cheek and I'm off! I don't think I have ever waited more than 20 minutes...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico