Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 AM

8 posts, read 15,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
AMEN!

Never have been clear on why we would need permission from the government to exercise a constitutional right.
Your constitutional right to bear arms is not guaranteed to everyone. For example, the US Supreme Court stated explicitly in 2008 that "prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill" are not contradicted by the 2nd Amendment. I assume you are neither a felon nor mentally ill, and would therefore pass a background check and be able to acquire a permit.

If the permit process either a) reduces the number of felons or mentally ill individuals who may otherwise carry a concealed weapon, or b) helps educate felons or mentally ill individuals of the fact that it would be illegal to carry a concealed weapon, potentially reducing the number of felons or mentally ill individuals who may otherwise carry a concealed weapon, then I am for requiring permits.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:32 AM

5,418 posts, read 9,223,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Jordan. Vermont and Alaska do not require permits and have not for many years. It has worked out well for them.
The way I look at it is that the criminals are not going to abide by any carry laws at all. So, why make it hard for a law abiding citizen to protect them selves.
Trust me, I'm not some gun-hating hippie or anything, I just think that it could have a different outcome here than those places. I never hear anything much about Alaska or Vermont having problems with gangs, or drug violence due to being near one of the most violent cities in the Western Hemisphere.

If I could carry concealed without a permit, that would be great..

but it's just like the saying about cars.

It's not that YOU'RE a bad driver, it's the "other guy" you have to worry about..

It's not that WE'RE irresponsible gun owners, but we have to worry about "the other guy(s)"

Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,929,997 times
Having lived in England for awhile, where even the cops (bobbies) don't carry firearms, I have to say I wish this country had similar laws. The worst thing about the Second Amendment is that the founding fathers failed to define what a "well armed militia" was intended to mean.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Having lived in England for awhile, where even the cops (bobbies) don't carry firearms, I have to say I wish this country had similar laws. The worst thing about the Second Amendment is that the founding fathers failed to define what a "well armed militia" was intended to mean.

I tend to think of it as the best thing

In an ideal world, we wouldn't need guns or instruments for killing each other, but this isn't an ideal world. The reality is that there will always be crime, there will always be a reason for hurting someone else (maybe not you or I, but someone else could FIND a reason) and there are certain things that people are willing to kill or die for.

Which is exactly why we need guns.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,449,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Yes, "In New Mexico there is no state requirement that a criminal background check be done on people buying guns at gun shows if they are sold by "private" individuals or gun "collectors". Gun shows can operate on a "no questions asked, cash-and-carry" basis. No records are required to be kept on gun show sales by private individuals or gun collectors.".

They most likely had dealers who held Federal Firearms Licenses (FFL).

Federal law generally requires that licensed firearms dealers conduct a background check on all prospective firearms purchasers to ensure that such persons are not prohibited from buying or possessing a firearm. This background check requirement was enacted through the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.

The gun shows can require background checks on all purchases if they want to:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/9648328-post62.html

Rich
Yes the "can" require it if they want but I have organised a few gunshows and only 2 people out of them required it.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:23 PM

26 posts, read 55,858 times
Im all for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2010, 04:05 AM

just to clarify, if NM became a "right-to-carry" state or whatever they call it, I would be more than happy to take advantage.. permit-less CC would be sweet

Old 04-23-2010, 01:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,476,421 times
So Arizona is the state where you will not need a permit to carry a concealed firearm, but you will need to carry papers that prove you are an American citizen if you resemble a Mexican.

Go Arizona!!!

For the record, I am not anti-gun nor pro-illegal alien, but I find Arizona's recent legislation attempts to be scarier than anything the tea-party folk are complaining about.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:13 PM

28 posts, read 64,093 times
Is open carry still permissiable like it was in the 50's, ranchers come into town (Clovis) in their trucks with side arms buckled on. Bobby

Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,449,935 times
Yeh, open carry is pretty well used here. I have OC'd alot, OleGrouch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico