Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:54 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,917,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Would Cruces be too far south for him to live? If he's that young, he might enjoy it more here..

hmm..
He'd definitely have a lot more options in LC, but the commute from LC to Lordsburg is almost 120 miles east, vs 44 from Silver.

It's going to be tiring either way, but I'd pick SC just to minimize the tiring commute, unless the amenities that LC has to offer are that important to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 06:41 PM

206 posts, read 536,853 times
Hey Valley girl, I don't think it's politically correct to call Lordsburg "beantown", buts it's probably apropos.
You're in for a shock, Drossino, Lordsburg is, well, just wait..

Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
Hey Valley girl, I don't think it's politically correct to call Lordsburg "beantown", buts it's probably apropos.
You're in for a shock, Drossino, Lordsburg is, well, just wait..
"Beantown" is the slang name for Boston.

Silver City is visually more appealing. It is out of the desert scrub that is both Lordsburg and Deming. As far as I'm concerned, Lordsburg is a dying town. Deming, even with it's terrible wind storms, is a growing town, specifically for seizure, er, senior citizens.

Silver City has lost the mine. As such, they might lose some services and businesses. However, it still has Western NM University. It has the beauty of being in the foothills of the mountains. Really lovely.

Deming is right on I-10, for an easy commute to Lordsburg. There are a few new neighborhoods. The town itself is more compact than Silver City, i.e., you can get things done (take care of your business) in a smaller area. Land is cheap there! Sometimes <$500/acre, if you so desire to live out in Luna county. I don't remember too many bars there. A few VFW or American Legion halls, and one other bar, maybe. I cannot speak for Silver in this regard.

The largest store in either city is Wal*Mart. No enclosed large malls. A "strip" mall or two. Deming just opened up a multi-plex movie theater along with a bowling alley. BIG news for Deming!
Silver City's "downtown" has a few "head shops" and secondhand art stores, opened and ran by folks that came into the town during the 60's and 70's. Deming's "downtown" is concentrated on Pine Street and Gold Street and is still run by families that have lived in the town for generations. Deming "don't cotton" to change.

If someone asked me which city was more progressive, I'd have to say Silver City.

It's probably going to take a while to get used to living in Southwestern New Mexico. Very, very different than back East. Don't expect to get anything done fast here. Expect mediocrity. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you get more service than normal.

Even if you've never liked hot foods, you will fall in love with the "heat". Won't take you long to give a quick answer to the question: "Red or Green?".

Enjoy your time here!

Kathy

Last edited by Wotagal55; 05-04-2010 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotagal55 View Post
Silver City has lost the mine.
Hmmm...from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Phelps-Dodge was acquired by international mining firm Freeport-McMoRan in March 2007, and operations at the Chino and Tyrone operations are continuing under the Freeport name.

Despite its small population, the town prides itself on its ability to bring in high quality cultural offerings, including the Grant County Community Concert Association, which presents numerous events each year.
[6]
Tourism, retirement and trade are the other major components of Silver City's economy. In 2006, an average home sold for about $160,000 for a three-bedroom, 1,500-square-foot (140 m2) house.
The bicycle race known as the Tour de Gila has gained reputation each year, and especially so in the past couple of years when it attracted Lance Armstrong and other top USA cyclists to participate. It was held this year (2010) last weekend.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM

It's probably going to take a while to get used to living in Southwestern New Mexico. Very, very different than back East. Don't expect to get anything done fast here. Expect mediocrity. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you get more service than normal.

Now that I think back on these almost 3 years in south central NM, that just about sums it up!

Every single service I've had here, from getting the builder to correct things, window blinds, Qwest internet and phone, electrical service, plumbing--it's all been like pulling teeth, and often requires more than one visit to get something done right.

The slowness I expected, but not the almost-all-across-the board mediocrity.

The two exceptions have been my dog sitting service (second to none, but expensive) and my automotive service. Everything else, almost without exception, has been more frustrating than not.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 AM

206 posts, read 536,853 times
Yes, just a general "ineptitude" that I find puzzling. Are the people "intellectually challenged", or do they just "not care"? Methinks it's a little of both.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
Yes, just a general "ineptitude" that I find puzzling. Are the people "intellectually challenged", or do they just "not care"? Methinks it's a little of both.
You're probably right.

When I was in CO last month, I realized just how different the attitudes and work ethic are--and when I go back to TX, too. I think you get so used to it (and expect it to not go well) here in NM that it becomes rather stark when you leave and come back.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:09 PM

I don't think it's a good idea to generalize in this manner. One of the facts of life in the area in which I live is that competent craftsmen can earn a better living elsewhere. Which means those left behind are either willing to take the cut in pay for whatever reason - or they lack the competence to compete in a more competitive environment.

That having been said, there are competent, eager, honest and reliable craftsmen around. Word of mouth is probably the best way to find out about them. I haven't had much need for help since I can do most things for myself, but when I have needed someone with better skills than I possess, I've been very satisfied with the ones I've hired.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:19 PM

That having been said, there are competent, eager, honest and reliable craftsmen around.

And....boy, would I love to find them. So far.......it hasn't happened here in Alamogordo. I am also only speaking from my experiences in this area over the last 3 years.

The good ones are worth their weight in gold.

I don't mind paying for a good job well done. It just p***es me off big time to shell out the bucks for shoddy work.

I also hate ongoing aggravation.

All of the following just happens to be what I can think of at the moment, and it's not the whole list.

The electricians broke the ladder to the attic, and didn't even bother to tell me about it. I called the contractor/superintendent...."Oh, yes, they broke the ladder and I forgot about it."

Yeah, right. So I have to call 2x to get someone over here to install a new one.

The plumbers didn't install the garbage disposal correctly, and it came up with my hand.

The same plumbers left off a connection to the dishwasher, so that no water came in.

Builder does not install enough screws in cabinet--one in each corner, so the damn cabinet comes off the wall later when it has my dishes in it. The builder did finally meet me halfway, after veiled threats. I noticed on the house down the street (during an open house) that they had screws in all four corners as well as up the centers and along the sides, something mine should have had from the beginning.

My miniblinds were a 3-ring circus from the start. After waiting around for an hour and a half (had appt, too), someone finally takes the order. Then they call me the next day asking me to go all the way back out there to sign a form that they should have had me sign from the beginning. Then, it all goes downhill from there.

They didn't measure the windows correctly, and they left about a foot of extra slats at the bottom of each one, instead of trimming them correctly.

They left a huge gap in the picture window with the vertical blinds. They came back and redid, and made it worse, along with extra holes in the wall. Finally, on the third trip on that one (and 5 or 6 phone calls later), they get that right. They also stood me up on more than 2 appointments. It got so bad that the general manager called me from the North Carolina office.

Had extra concrete work done--they left the forms and trash in the alley. They left concrete on the side of the stucco, as well as dirt, etc. After phone calls on that, it finally all gets fixed, more or less.

Don't get me started on Qwest, who didn't even bother to deliver my self-install kit for DSL after 2 phone calls for that. So I tell them to shove it, and I call Baja Broadband.

So the Baja guy hooks up my VCR backwards, and I have to fix that. I also had my own modem, and SHOWED him my own modem, but they charged me for their (non-existent) modem for 2 months before I finally get them to credit me for the extra charges.

Qwest also bundled my cell phone with my landline, after I SPECIFICALLY told them NOT to do that. So that takes 2-3 phone calls to get straightened out.

Qwest also charged me for the DSL that was never installed because they never delivered my kit. It took a couple of months for that to be credited.

It has just been a bunch of little irritants like that that have piled up over the last 3 years. I hate to have to call anybody to do anything, because I know that it is most likely going to be like pulling teeth.

I guess I'm just spoiled rotten. I had some great people in Midland--plumbers, carpenters, electricians, handymen--that I did business with almost the entire 30 years I was there--and most of them either showed up on time, or called to reschedule when they couldn't make it. Very, very few of them just stood me up without bothering to call and explain.

My yardman in Midland was a fireman who did a yard at least 4x the size of the one here, at half the price. He did my yard for almost 20 years.

My petsitter was also about half the price.

My yardman here--who I have only because the alley has to be kept scalped--is very good, but he's also very expensive, about twice as high.

My petsitters here are second to none, but they also cost an arm and a leg.

So, if the job is done right, you pay through the nose. There is no such thing as reasonable here. If the cost is reasonable, the work (in my experience) is not all that great.

*Sigh* It has just worn on me, and it's not even anything major!!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 05-09-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That having been said, there are competent, eager, honest and reliable craftsmen around.

And....boy, would I love to find them.
WOW! That's quite a catalog of bad experiences! I hope you feel better now for having enumerated them?

Here's one I heard about Sat night when chatting with friends. Seems a house was built here on a slope so steep that it required anchored cables to keep if from sliding down the mountainside. At some point after the owners moved in, they called someone to do additional work - or repairs - and whoever that was proceeded to cut those cables because they were "in the way" of whatever it was being done. And because the house then began sliding down the slope, it was condemned!

I personally know of another house being built on a steep slope, with an unobstructed panoramic view of Sierra Blanca, that completely collapsed when the roof was finished out, and before any of the interior walls had been finished. It was a three story tall structure using incorrectly the metal studs usually reserved for interior partitions in commercial buildings. They are not designed for outer load bearing use. Thus the weight of the roof alone was enough to collapse them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico