Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 17,176 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am brand new here. My husband will probably be accepting a position at Bandelier National Monument which will involve a move to that area from Wisconsin. I am looking for an affordable option - probably not Los Alamos where we can live in a safe, low crime area and yet not be too far of a commute for my husband. Los Alamos itself doesn't sound like what we would like. I am also very concerned about snakes and bugs that we don't have here. Actually I am very scared about this whole move. My husband really wants this and I love the midwest- especially Wisconsin. We live on the shores of the Mississippi River at Lake Pepin. I can't imagine how this move will affect me. Any advice is welcome - Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 03:01 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,729,311 times
Congratulations to your husband! Bandelier and the area around there is too awesome for words. Sorry, can't help with your housing question.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:06 PM

576 posts, read 2,308,918 times
Let me also congratulate you on being able to move to one of the most beautiful areas anywhere.

I was going to suggest the Town of Cochiti Lake for a place to live because it isn't far away as the crow flies. Then I took a look at a map and saw that there is not a direct way to get there and the road goes waaaay around by way of Santa Fe.

So this post really won't help much except that I just wanted you to feel good about coming to New Mexico. I left behind the sheltered hills of New England and I do miss them (and water), but in return I got a life in a gorgeous state where everything is very laid back. Lots of people want to be as lucky as you!

~clairz

Old 04-09-2008, 03:43 PM

286 posts, read 1,322,930 times
First of all, welcome to New Mexico. Bandolier (and all the parks) in the area are beautiful, and I think once you have a chance to really explore the area, you'll find the beauty in this state.

As to living areas, curious why you aren't interested in Los Alamos. The downtown area is really more like a midwest or northeastern town. It also has some great schools. If it's not for you, there is Santa Fe. You could also check out Pojoaque or even Nambe. Check the threads, as there are posts on these areas.

Best of luck with the move

Old 04-09-2008, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,431 times
Wink wisconsin here also

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrobin View Post
Hello,
I am brand new here. My husband will probably be accepting a position at Bandelier National Monument which will involve a move to that area from Wisconsin. I am looking for an affordable option - probably not Los Alamos where we can live in a safe, low crime area and yet not be too far of a commute for my husband. Los Alamos itself doesn't sound like what we would like. I am also very concerned about snakes and bugs that we don't have here. Actually I am very scared about this whole move. My husband really wants this and I love the midwest- especially Wisconsin. We live on the shores of the Mississippi River at Lake Pepin. I can't imagine how this move will affect me. Any advice is welcome - Thanks!!!
HI, MY NAME IS LINDA. I AM FROM WISCONSIN ALSO PRAIRIE DU CHIEN IS MY HOME TOWN , OVER BY LA CROSSE , I AM ALSO MOVEING TO ALAMOGORDO NEW MEXICO IN LATE MAY OR JUNE FIRST PART OF IT. JUST WANTED TO SAY HI AND HOPE YOU FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, AS I AM ALSO SEARCHING FOR IMFORMATION ...LINDA

Old 04-09-2008, 04:29 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,089,324 times
amrobin truly worries:

> Los Alamos itself doesn't sound like what we would like.

You won't know until you see it for yourself. White Rock actually borders Bandelier.

> I am also very concerned about snakes and bugs

You'll find that the bug situation is much better. Try no mosquito bites all summer. Eating out every evening with almost no flies. There are less snakes and bugs of any kind out here.

> We live on the shores of the Mississippi River at Lake Pepin.

It's going to be an adjustment, but if you don't have an open mind it won't go well.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM

946 posts, read 3,267,670 times
Question I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrobin View Post
Hello,
I don't get it. If you love the Midwest, you should love Los Alamos. You'll never know that you left. It is more Midwest than the Midwest itself.

You posted a similar message elsewhere. You might look at the discussion of the Pojoaque Valley there and then look at other threads about the Pojaoque Valley.

And don't take the negative stuff too seriously. If I had, I would still be freezing in Wisconsin myself. Has the ice melted yet? However, the Mississippi up there is beautiful.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 PM

946 posts, read 3,267,670 times
Default Not Espanola

I should mention that Espanola and the small towns around it are probably not the place for you.

In theory, you might look in the wilds on the other side of the Jemez, but I don't think your husband would enjoy commuting through that pass in the winter.

So the Pojoaque Valley is probably best for you.

Ask a specific question about the PV and I will try to answer.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:08 PM

611 posts, read 1,460,249 times
I have a particular fondness for Los Alamos, but my opinion isn't exactly unbiased, having lived there for 17+ years. What are your reservations about living there?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:58 AM

6 posts, read 17,176 times
Default Thanks for the advice!

In reply to all - first of all I had read that the Los Alamos area was very expensive and the people there not all that friendly. We currently live in a very tiny town - the Village of Maiden Rock - just upriver from LaCrosse, Linda. Secondly, I guess I do worry. I love Wisconsin!! I am totally a tree and water person. I love to swim, fish and boat as well as hike. I love the north woods. So yeah, I'm afraid I won't like NM very much. Of course, I will have to be there first to know for sure. From the pictures I have seen it's not my cup of tea. I just hate to get there and find out I will totally homesick and make my husband upset because I am. There is just something about the Mississippi that has always "called me to it". Mark Twain-ish thing I guess. I've become quite a river rat as they call us here. Yes, the ice is gone here - boats are in and people are fishing.
I fear finding a place to rent soon enough may be tough on short notice.
Truly though, thanks for all the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico