Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:11 PM

946 posts, read 3,267,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavious Orgus View Post
You are on!

Costs considered equal, using the same price range. How would you rate Pojoaque Valley Vs. Eldorado vs. Santa Fe city limits?

Also, are there any fitness clubs in the Pojoaque area?
Hard to say. They are all different. PV and Eldorado are out of the city and more open.

City can be more convenient -- more stuff in walking distance. Unmarried -- you might find PV or Eldorado boring.

PV is more old-fashioned New Mexico -- rich living near poor and your neighbor maybe has something in his yard you wish he'd take to the dump. They guy driving the 60K car will stop and chat with the guy selling newspapers on the road.

Eldorado is much more consistently -- maybe entirely -- middle class with covenants that will force your neighbor to clean up his act, but also restrict what you can do.

Nambe (in the PV) which I like is closest to the Sangres and depending on your location can give you some of the best views in Santa Fe County.

Pojoaque Valley is more Hispanic and Indian than Eldorado and most of the upscale areas of the City. If you are friendly and outgoing, that is not a problem even if you are an Anglo. And everybody speaks English. The Hispanics are not Mexicans -- their ancestors were here before ours.

PV is a more rugged landscape. I live in the midst of the "Badlands." But it is flatter close to the river.

Eldorado has a better elementary school if that is an issue.

Pojoaque Valley has the Pojoaque Wellness Center with all the fitness stuff. It is on the Pojoaque Pueblo but open to all and reasonably priced. It is about 5 minutes (driving) from my house. You could do it on a bike staying on back roads. I am sure that Eldorado has a comparable facility through its association.

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 02:21 PM

146 posts, read 453,342 times
Thank you,

That certainly answers many of my questions. Can't wait to get down there and see this place for myself.

I am excited to get my house on the market and get it sold (waiting for the grass to green and the flowers, trees to bloom), along with my share of the family business.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:52 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,032,885 times
Just one correction...

Eldorado covenants don't "force" anyone to do anything.

They inform a resident if they are in violation of a covenant requirement, but have not (we were told) taken anyone to court or "forced" compliance.

One of the houses we looked at had a huge RV parked in the driveway which we were told was there for months. The resident had been asked repeatedly to move the RV but did not. Eldorado did not seek any legal recourse.

We opted not to consider purchasing that house. The RV next door was an eyesore blocking the view of the Jemez Mountains, and there was no telling whether it would ever be moved.

I personally wish they WOULD REQUIRE compliance but from what I can see they only suggest that homeowners repect the covenants and their neighbors. Most people do so.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:56 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,032,885 times
Eldorado has plenty of opportunities for exercise. There is a fitness center - it is expensive.

There are paved walking / biking trails throughout the subdivision as well as many greenbelts areas where one could walk if they wanted.

Eldorado also has a huge wilderness preserve for residents to use for hiking.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:07 PM

I do not mind covenants, I am far to meticulious to worry about it.

Did you consider any other locations before choosing Eldorado?

Old 04-18-2008, 04:35 PM

946 posts, read 3,267,670 times
Forgot. For recreation people use the river (courtesy title) beds and arroyos and the extensive BLM lands. It is also a relatively short drive west or east to mountains and Forest Service land.

The Pojoaque Valley is of course a valley and most homes are within a few blocks of the river. So no one is very far from thousands of acres of open land. Much of that is Pueblo and you should not use without permission, but much is BLM or Forest Service.

Where I live is 300 yards from BLM land and that land connects up with Forest Service lands so I could were I younger reach the Sangre de Christos mountains crossing only one road.

Many people here have horses and keep them on their own property. I believe that Eldorado has an equestrian center.

Sorry, Towanda. I just assumed that they were enforced.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:04 PM

You are never too old to reach those mountains!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,052 times
Default Loving New Mexico

Hi - we moved to Wisconsin from the southwest and there is absolutely no comparison! New Mexico has blue sky (something we rarely see in reality in Wisconsin), the smell of the rain on the desert is intoxicating, the ethnic diversity is wonderful in New Mexico - it brings with it a high level of tolerance that is absent in much of the midwest. The food is the best in the world! There is a sense of being able to breathe in the desert, fresh air, no crowds or congestion, so much public land that you can just feel the freedom and wildness of your surroundings. We live near La Crosse, WI, now and every day I dream of returning to the desert. In the winter you get much more sunshine and each of the four seasons is wonderful. It is drier, some places more so than others, but instead of feeling like you are in the rain forest, each flower that grows from a crack in a rock will fill you with wonder and amazement. There is nothing to fear as far as bugs, etc., no greater or lesser really than Wisconsin, just diffferent.

The greatest things about New Mexico that you won't find elsewhere (even in much of the southwest) are the culture, the color, the light, the food, the people, the laid back lifestyle, the importance of family and fiestas and so much more.

Enjoy it! It may be a whole new world, but it is a wonderful one and you won't have so much of the mushy, dark, grey type weather that you have in Wisconsin. Blue skies, fresh air, the smell of sage and chili....wonderful!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:13 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,613,495 times
No matter where you go, there you are.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 29,182 times
Red face Best Skiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
I'd say yes, with two caveats.

Some areas of Santa Fe are definitely high priced and snooty. Stay away from them.

The skiing is better up around Taos, and generally your access to the outdoors, biking, etc., is more direct. Taos itself can get pretty tied up with traffic. But for an active sort of guy (or gal), it might be a better choice than Santa Fe. Maybe Red River or Eagle Nest up that way.

If you are into skiing that points to the Taos area -- it is the furthest north, but more important, the mountains are just higher up that way.

Ruidoso, down south, but with all due apologies to the Ruidosans -- both altitude and latitude are working against this town as a ski area.

Actually best skiing (for a non-beginner) is probably at Pajarito Mountain in Los Alamos. It definatly rivals Taos on altitude and difficulty of sloaps, however no one knows about it so you don't deal with long lift lines, hardly any tourists, and not as much traffic. Also it's not commercialized, so it is very much for those who just want to ski with out the hassle. (just don't drive up to the mountain unless you have 4-wheel drive)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico