Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should New Mexico create its own immigration bill?
YES 57 70.37%
NO 24 29.63%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:29 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,326,897 times

Advertisements

I seriously doubt NM would even consider such a law. The culture of the state is way more pro-hispanic and feels much friendlier to its previous mother country versus Arizona which is now basically run by anglo midwesterners and ex-inland Californians who are strangers to hispanic culture and feel much more threatened by it. NM is much more like Texas in this regard than Arizona. The anti-immigrant sentiment is about much more than immigration. Those dynamics just aren't the same in NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,997 times
Many of those reading this will have no idea what I'm going to refer to, so here's a good article on the subject:

BRACERO PROGRAM IN THE USA

It was a flawed program in that it didn't do enough to protect the rights of those brought into the USA under the program, but it had more good than bad points for USA farmers (and other industries initially) who needed the labor force the braceros provided.

I believe any change in our immigration laws should re-visit what has been done in the past to allow LEGAL entry to the USA by those seeking work in areas where they are needed. With so many citizens out of work today, I suspect there isn't a crying need most places. But whatever transpires in the future, compassion should be the watch word when dealing with people who are simply bent on finding a better life for themselves.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
With so many citizens out of work today, I suspect there isn't a crying need most places. But whatever transpires in the future, compassion should be the watch word when dealing with people who are simply bent on finding a better life for themselves.

I doubt many out of work American citizens will pick lettuce, oranges, strawberries or other crops that can't be harvested mechanically so I'm sure there will always be demand for agricultural workers so a guest worker program is still a good idea.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:16 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,457,817 times
The immigration issue is huge and complicated and I don't know how it would be possible to ever legislate something that everyone felt dealt with the myriad of problems we have fairly or justly.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I seriously doubt NM would even consider such a law. The culture of the state is way more pro-hispanic and feels much friendlier to its previous mother country versus Arizona which is now basically run by anglo midwesterners and ex-inland Californians who are strangers to hispanic culture and feel much more threatened by it. NM is much more like Texas in this regard than Arizona. The anti-immigrant sentiment is about much more than immigration. Those dynamics just aren't the same in NM.
I have talked to many Hispanics here in Santa Fe who are NOT anti-immigration.....they are anti-ILLEGAL-immigration, and feel just like many Anglos do .. that people from Mexico and other countries who are entering this country ILLEGALLY are indeed a problem.

My observation is that illegal aliens coming into this country have put a massive stress on our health care system and our educational system (just to name two) and are straining our economy to the breaking point....as well as bringing drugs and violence into the southwestern states.

I know some of you disagree. My bottom line is the word "ILLEGAL". Not sure why so many people prefer the terms "undocumented workers" or "immigrants" or "migrants" without clarifying those terms by stating that it is the ILLEGAL part that many of us object to and would like to see laws to prohibit. (I am in favor of a government-controlled guest worker program which allows Mexican nationals to enter this country to work, to pay taxes, and yet not remain here indefinitely or permanently.)

Either you believe in the rule of law which is the basis of this country ... or you don't. ILLEGAL immigration is a crime once a person steps across the border into this country, in my opinion.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:42 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,861,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I would like to see a bill here that STARTS by sending employers of illegal aliens to jail for a nice hefty sentence; that might put a stop to the problerm.
So of these people around here forget that this in "New Mexico" NOT "OLD Mexico"

Old 05-02-2010, 11:26 AM

People didn't think it such a big deal when they were just picking crops and making beds but when they started competing with mostly white men doing trade work the proverbial you know what hit the fan. Perhaps the tough employer ID checks should apply only to certain types of work. Do you really care whether the person in the fields or cleaning your motel room is documented?

Old 05-02-2010, 11:33 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
People didn't think it such a big deal when they were just picking crops and making beds but when they started competing with mostly white men doing trade work the proverbial you know what hit the fan. Perhaps the tough employer ID checks should apply only to certain types of work. Do you really care whether the person in the fields or cleaning your motel room is documented?
Uh. Yeah. I do care.

I believe in the rule of law in this country.

I am also concerned about the terrible drain on our economy, especially in health care and our schools.

And I care about the crime and drugs that come across the border.

And I care about national security.

If someone wants to come here and live and work in our state, then let them get in line and get a green card and get on the track to legal citizenship here.

I do not see how any of those concerns or opinions are out of the mainstream.

Last edited by Towanda; 05-02-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 12:31 PM

But studies have shown they're really not a drain. The amount of money we collect from many of them in taxes more than offsets the costs. You don't perceive that because the recession has depressed tax collections overall. In fact most of the ones with phony documents are having social security and other federal, state, and local taxes withheld that they will never get back.

As to your other arguments, cite one instance of terrorism that's resulted from an undocumented alien (remember the 9/11 hijackers were here legally). Also, crime rates amongst immigrants are actually lower than for the population as a whole. The crime rates in border states has been dropping at about the same rate as other areas of the country.

I'm not saying the feds shouldn't do more, but the adverse effects of this have been vastly overblown - largely for political reasons. Those AZ Republicans are working this thing to death. Strange how the hysteria over this was far less before the recession and the Obama presidency.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,241,899 times
The point is that the FEDS should do more. It shouldn't be left to the states. I know the states are supposedly "sovereign", but we found out the limits of that almost 150 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico