Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should New Mexico create its own immigration bill?
YES 57 70.37%
NO 24 29.63%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,326,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Simple....National ID, no work without the ID, jail and big fines for people/businesses who employ folks without an ID and deport the noID holders.
That may work at the chicken plants but the way around that in the construction business is they set themselves up as independent sub-contractors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,738,338 times
Laws such as these often have unintended consequences. This law will further limit the civil liberties of us law-abiding citizens. I don't relish the idea of having to carry around documentation at all times proving I am a legal citizen. Maybe we should all be tatooed at birth, or have a microchip implanted under the skin providing a permanent electronic ID and a means of tracking.
Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water; we should go slowly with any laws that will infringe on our civil liberties.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:09 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I don't relish the idea of having to carry around documentation at all times proving I am a legal citizen.
Law enforcement has LONG required citizens to identify themselves when asked to by a uniformed officer (or today, some not even in uniform). Providing FALSE I.D. is a criminal offense in all jurisdictions, AFAIK. People without driver licenses will carry a similar I.D. that does not include driving privileges. People are regularly detained if they fail to provide I.D. or otherwise prove who they are.

In New Mexico, you are REQUIRED BY LAW to also have proof of insurance and a copy of the current registration in your vehicle if you are stopped for some reason.

There has been lots of discussion about the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT requiring EVERYONE to carry a national I.D.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:18 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,457,817 times
There is a difference between carrying your driver's license ( proof of citizenship in Arizona, but not in New Mexico or many other states ) which gives you permission to drive, a voluntary activity, and carrying proof of citizenship at all times.

If someone is stopped while driving in AZ, and they are carrying a license from someplace other than AZ or another state which requires proof of citizenship to obtain that license, they must take extra steps regardless of citizenship/status.

I have a passport and I plan to carry that while in AZ. My husband can do the same. I guess my son will have to carry his COC and original non-US birth certificate? Just in case?

Old 05-04-2010, 06:15 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
Do you plan to be committing crimes in Arizona?

You will only be stopped and asked for identification if you are in violation of a law or suspected of breaking a law.

Read the bill.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,326,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
You will only be stopped and asked for identification if you are in violation of a law or suspected of breaking a law.
Yeah and I have a piece of the Grand Canyon I can sell you.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
No thanks.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,457,817 times
If I am pulled over for a traffic violation ( unlikely, but possible ) I do not want to take any chances, especially with my son.

Again "suspected of breaking a law" is far too vague for me to feel comfortable with.

I have read the law as well as the CYA amendment.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:59 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,643,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yeah and I have a piece of the Grand Canyon I can sell you.
Is it waterfront?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
There is a difference between carrying your driver's license ( proof of citizenship in Arizona, but not in New Mexico or many other states ) which gives you permission to drive, a voluntary activity, and carrying proof of citizenship at all times.
A person walking down the sidewalk can be stopped by law enforcement and asked to provide I.D. Lacking I.D. it is a discretionary decision on the officer's part as to whether or not to detain you until your identity is proven. FALSIFYING your I.D. in such an instance is a crime.

For many years there has been a certain neighborhood in El Paso - within a short walk of the border - where people are REGULARLY challenged. It has long been a bone of contention with those who are US citizens if they happen to be stopped. I don't know if it's ever been challenged in court - but surely it has been by now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico