Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should New Mexico create its own immigration bill?
YES 57 70.37%
NO 24 29.63%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,854,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
A person walking down the sidewalk can be stopped by law enforcement and asked to provide I.D. Lacking I.D. it is a discretionary decision on the officer's part as to whether or not to detain you until your identity is proven. FALSIFYING your I.D. in such an instance is a crime.

For many years there has been a certain neighborhood in El Paso - within a short walk of the border - where people are REGULARLY challenged. It has long been a bone of contention with those who are US citizens if they happen to be stopped. I don't know if it's ever been challenged in court - but surely it has been by now.

El Paso is 90% hispanic, there is no way police would stop 90% of the people of El Paso, and El Paso has MANY illegals living in it, including the neighborhoods a short walk of the border. They're obviously not being challenged or there would be a few deportations.

In spite of a huge number of foreign born with stolen IDs, -- like you pointed out, you and many of your friends had no problem at all employing as many illegals as you liked -- because no one checks. Your illegals had no trouble at all getting here and living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 07:25 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I know a lot of people in El Paso that don't employ illegals. And just because some do, it doesn't make it right at all.
Right or wrong, it's the TRADITION there - a long standing one at that!
The MAJORITY of El Pasoans don't hire full-time live-in maids, and probably don't even use part-time maids. In my case the wife worked full time just as I do and the maid was not "just a maid" but rather cooked and minded the kids too. She was the surrogate housekeeper.

Those who care about the maids they hire pay social security for them. You don't need to be a legal immigrant to pay into, and later receive SS, for those who aren't aware of that fact. Because maids have full room and board while working for the families, they are able to send MOST of their income to family still in Mexico. Not so much today - since NAFTA has changed economic conditions significantly for Mexicans along the border - but at one time the money the maids sent home aided their families in significant ways. In addition, many maids are given perfectly good hand-me-down clothing which they also send to their families.

PS In the early part of the 20th century, my granddad took his family to Mexico when he attempted to earn a living there. When he couldn't, and the family returned to the USA, they brought with them an 18 year old Mexican girl to live in their home and work for them. That girl became like family - later obtained her USA citizenship (with the family's help and blessing) and moved out on her own. But she continued to work daily ALL OF HER LIFE for the family, never married, and died with her "inheritance" largely intact since she was able to live on her Social Security. At death her only surviving heir was a nephew, who ended up with her life savings.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:29 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
Never was a problem for me. I never had the money (or really, the desire) to hire a maid, no matter where I lived.

In my house, the "maid" had always been me. I am legal ... and I work for almost free.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 PM

3,435 posts, read 7,002,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Johnson feels the law is racial profiling and does not agree with it.

You'll probably have your chance to vote for him in 2012....
WHAT IS HONESTLY WITH THAT WORD! "Racial profiling"....

GOSH! THE LAW HONESTLY MEANS YOU JUST DON'T WANT ILLEGALS HERE!! REGARDLESS IF YOU ARE RACIST OR NOT!!!

Thats how I feel. I call it, applying for citizenship the damn right way. HELLO!?!?!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,241,899 times
It just so happens that illegal immigrants are mostly of a browner hue than not, so of course there is going to me more scrutiny of such people in general under the AZ law. Whether that makes it 'racism' or not is a thorny question. It's co-incidence in its way. I don't think NM really needs it. Texas, I think, could benefit from it.

We also have the question of national security. I wouldn't want to see a terrorist masquerading as a "Mexican" get in that way.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:04 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,052,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It just so happens that illegal immigrants are mostly of a browner hue than not, so of course there is going to me more scrutiny of such people in general under the AZ law. Whether that makes it 'racism' or not is a thorny question. It's co-incidence in its way. I don't think NM really needs it. Texas, I think, could benefit from it.

We also have the question of national security. I wouldn't want to see a terrorist masquerading as a "Mexican" get in that way.

we will need it when they start making their way to NM from AZ, its only a matter of time.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 AM

Default Another poll result...

In today's news:
Quote:
A new poll shows that 59 percent of Americans approve of Arizona's new law cracking down on illegal immigrants while only 32 percent disapprove.

Specific provisions of the law enacted last month draw even more support: Fully 73 percent endorse its provisions requiring people to show police officers documents proving their legal status when asked. And 67 percent approve of police detaining anyone who can't prove their legal status.

The telephone poll by the Pew Research Center was conducted on May 6-9 and released Wednesday. It surveyed 994 adults and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points. The law has been heavily criticized and prompted calls for tourists and businesses to boycott Arizona. It takes effect July 29 unless legal challenges are successful.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:35 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,758,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
In my house, the "maid" had always been me. I am legal ... and I work for almost free.

Are you available for an interview this afternoon?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:58 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,457,817 times
While the poll numbers are interesting, they are only opinions. If you polled adults in the south, in the 50's, how many would approve of interracial marriage or integration in schools?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
While the poll numbers are interesting, they are only opinions. If you polled adults in the south, in the 50's, how many would approve of interracial marriage or integration in schools?
I'm not sure how this relates to a nation-wide poll such as the Pew and Fox News polls? Your corollary might be significant if the poll was restricted to people living along the border. In fact, this thread is a poll - currently with a 2 to 1 majority in favor of the AZ proposition and some people posting to this forum are not currently living in the region.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico