Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,391,999 times

Advertisements

I know at least a dozen (+) ardent soccer fans. About 10 of them are Mexican and follow Mexican league and 2-3 anglos who follow English and MLS. This is in the heart of Albuquerque which probably has the most soccer fans, per capita, in the state.

I also work in a place where soccer fans (as well as all the other sports) congregate, so outside of the people I know personally, I can see that there is definitely a following for both MLS and English/European league soccer in this town. It just doesn't come anywhere near Am. Football, Basketball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 02:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,037,617 times
I use to play soccer and so did all my friends, when we were 8 years old.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Albuquerque has a big adult amateur soccer scene if that's your thing. I ride past a park that hosts a lot of soccer games. I mean, we even have at least three adult rugby teams not counting UNM.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:06 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,369,459 times
I don't follow soccer, nor do I know anyone who does in my circle of friends. It interests me about as much as hockey and golf do.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 PM

I don't have a chile ristra or any 'Southwestern' decorations on or in my house and no one in my circle of friends does either. I wouldn't suggest that that means those things aren't popular in Albuquerque, though.

I would say that Soccer is definitely bigger than Hockey, especially in terms of adult participation, here in Albuquerque despite the fact that we had a pro-Hockey team in Rio Rancho for a while

Golf on the other hand... A lot of New Mexicans (Albuquerqueans, anyway) play golf.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,037,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I don't have a chile ristra or any 'Southwestern' decorations on or in my house and no one in my circle of friends does either. I wouldn't suggest that that means those things aren't popular in Albuquerque, though.

I would say that Soccer is definitely bigger than Hockey, especially in terms of adult participation, here in Albuquerque despite the fact that we had a pro-Hockey team in Rio Rancho for a while

Golf on the other hand... A lot of New Mexicans (Albuquerqueans, anyway) play golf.

I dont think chile ristras are all that popular in ABQ, I guess I dont see them around all that often, other than Old Town gift stores.

Everyone I do know is an NFL fan though, that should be some indication that there is a huge NFL following here, the same could be said for the Dallas Cowboys.

and Im one of those people that would rather watch hockey over soccer, Soccer is very boring to me,I would rather watch paint dry.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,369,459 times
My husband is a football fan, however he rarely watches any team other than the Patriots. Same with baseball, we only watch the Red Sox. We're diehard fans to our home states.

Where I moved from, the big sports were basketball, baseball, football and hockey. I grew up in an area where football was not big. (Downeast Maine is all basketball) Therefore I was not exposed to it, so never cared for it. Soccer was for the grammer school kids to play for fun.

Golf to me is just boring. Basketball I understand, I played it all through middle school and high school. The same with softball.

Given my choice, I'd rather watch a good stock car race over anything else. I just wish NM had some good asphalt tracks with alot of cars racing. It was our hobby back east and we miss it.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:18 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,745,095 times
Soccer is the biggest sport in the world with the biggest event coming up in just over a month in South Africa - The FIFA World Cup.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,918 times
I would definitely support a professional soccer team here. Given the city's support of other top-tier minor league teams I imagine we could support a soccer team.

I think the ratings that ESPN has garnered for the World Cup show that soccer is on the rise in the US as a spectator sport (I heard the US-Ghana match was the most watched soccer match ever on US television). I know lots of folks, here in ABQ as well as among my friends across the country, who follow the EPL or other international soccer leagues. And, the Sounders actually outdraw the Mariners in Seattle. Some may find it boring, but as AlisonL points out, lots of people find golf boring. Lots of people also find baseball boring. I find American football pretty boring. There's all kinds of tastes and I truly believe there enough people with a taste for football played with feet here in ABQ to support a professional soccer team.

Does anyone know if there's a movement to try to bring professional soccer to ABQ?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:01 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,421,724 times
From the World Cup, out of all the new "fans" that watched it you may be lucky to get 5% to got to regular MLS games a year from now, thats still good growth though but you cant count all the people that watched it as actual fans, rather band wagon jumpers - kinda like Chelsea and Man Utd fans! :P

I have always, and will always be a Shelbourne FC fan (from Ireland, born and raised there) but second is Colorado Rapids because they are my "local" club. I used to be a Liverpool fan but dont have the same connection I used to due to being across the globe and I am not much of barstool football fan. I go to the Rapids games quite regularly even though it is a long haul.

NM could not support a MLS team, they dont have the money knor the attraction that a sports investor would be looking at. With such a tiny population it is too big a risk to dive head in for a MLS team. A USL team might be a good option though and I would go see them a few times a season too.

I think MLS and USL need to be merged with a promotion and relegation system and get rid of the reginal groups in MLS because its so boring its not even funny sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico