Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,422,783 times

Advertisements

The Gov will (I think) support anything that will bring $$$ into the city. I mean the residents. Ideally for MLS you want 15 to 30k to be at games. USL and NASL would be much lower and probably more doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,395,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
computer says nahhh...
Ha ha. I worked with that lady.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:30 PM

91 posts, read 142,236 times
Yeah I think that NASL would fit fine given that you have stadiums that are on average about 8,500 to 10,000. Speaking of which, San Antonio is getting a NASL team. What I like about NASL, is that the games are just as good as MSL, but a lot cheaper. The city could easily build a stadium as most cost about $10 million according to David Downs who heads the NASL. Wouldn't it be great to put it downtown by the convention center? Imagine what that would do to this town, especially if in a few years the stadium was updated to MLS standards and the NASL team goes to MLS.

Some teams have only been NASL for a year before morphing into MLS. So I think that the city would do it given local desire for a soccer team, and the cheap cost of building a stadium.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM

713 posts, read 1,847,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevationnation View Post
Yeah I think that NASL would fit fine given that you have stadiums that are on average about 8,500 to 10,000. Speaking of which, San Antonio is getting a NASL team. What I like about NASL, is that the games are just as good as MSL, but a lot cheaper. The city could easily build a stadium as most cost about $10 million according to David Downs who heads the NASL. Wouldn't it be great to put it downtown by the convention center? Imagine what that would do to this town, especially if in a few years the stadium was updated to MLS standards and the NASL team goes to MLS.

Some teams have only been NASL for a year before morphing into MLS. So I think that the city would do it given local desire for a soccer team, and the cheap cost of building a stadium.
No new stadium needs to be built. UNM now has field turf and can handle the additional traffic. I can't see a new stadium being build for a minor league soccer team.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 AM

91 posts, read 142,236 times
They built a stadium for a minor league baseball team. Also understand, as I mentioned before, many teams go to MSL. MSL will NOT approve a stadium connected with UNM, and that field wouldn't meet any of the requirements. Most cities build a stadium for a NASL, now if it was a tier below, then maybe not.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 AM

4,875 posts, read 4,822,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevationnation View Post
They built a stadium for a minor league baseball team. Also understand, as I mentioned before, many teams go to MSL. MSL will NOT approve a stadium connected with UNM, and that field wouldn't meet any of the requirements. Most cities build a stadium for a NASL, now if it was a tier below, then maybe not.
The Isotopes Stadium replaced the Dukes Stadium. Minor league baseball has been here for decades and always been popular. The stadium has about 11K seats and another 2K on the grass, and average 8-9,000 per game.

Until someone can demonstrate that an average of 6,000-7,000 fans would pay to watch soccer, no stadium will be built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico